Cubs promote OF Tyler Colvin to MLB

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
Why would the Cubs promote their 24-year-old top prospect OF Tyler Colvin to the major league team, when he has yet to even play in AAA, and will just sit on the bench behind Soriano, Bryd, Fukudome, and Nady?

:unsure:

Nady cant even throw the ball so he is a pinch hitter for the first few months of the season and sounds like he will be filling in each position and will play at least 3-4 games a week.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
Nady cant even throw the ball so he is a pinch hitter for the first few months of the season and sounds like he will be filling in each position and will play at least 3-4 games a week.

yes, for about $140m payroll it's amazing what their roster looks like

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
yes, for about $140m payroll it's amazing what their roster looks like

Sometimes I think the Cub bashing here gets too emotional but your comment is spot on and illustrates how bad a GM Hendry is. They may win the WS this year and make us all look like fools, but on paper this has to be one of the worst looking teams you can assemble at that price tag.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)

3-4 non-linear days of baseball at 3 different positions is better than 6-7 games straight a week of playing 1 position? And not to mention that they don't think Colvin is a very good OF, and said he probably can't play CF. So that leaves LF and RF, unless they want to have a weak CF out there.

I can't find any way in which you have your 24-year-old top prospect completely skip AAA just for a bench role.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
3-4 non-linear days of baseball at 3 different positions is better than 6-7 games straight a week of playing 1 position? And not to mention that they don't think Colvin is a very good OF, and said he probably can't play CF. So that leaves LF and RF, unless they want to have a weak CF out there.

I find any way in which you have your 24-year-old top prospect completely skip AAA just for a bench role.

As a backup, I doubt they really care that he doesn't play CF very well. I just don't think they really care at all about a lot of things.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
I find any way in which you have your 24-year-old top prospect completely skip AAA just for a bench role.

The guy wasn't even that great in AA last season also. This is not even saying he was seriously overdrafted comming out of Clemson. (I remember saying the guy wasn't even a 1st round talent, yet alone a top 15 pick. He would had been a steal in the later rounds possibly 3rd-5th) The guy has serious flaws in his game (I mentioned his plate discipline being one), and putting him on the bench, possibly to get "something" out of him, is not good for his development.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
The guy wasn't even that great in AA last season also. This is not even saying he was seriously overdrafted comming out of Clemson. (I remember saying the guy wasn't even a 1st round talent, yet alone a top 15 pick. He would had been a steal in the later rounds possibly 2nd-4th) The guy has serious flaws in his game (I mentioned his plate discipline being one), and putting him on the bench, possibly to get "something" out of him, is not good for his development.

I agree. After reading my quote, I realized I forgot the important word "can't" in my sentence. Hope that you didn't think I was advocating them brining him up to the MLB level already.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)

Maybe it's because they don't consider him a top prospect? He's an incredibly underwhelming talent especially given where he was taken in the draft.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
I agree. After reading my quote, I realized I forgot the important word "can't" in my sentence. Hope that you didn't think I was advocating them brining him up to the MLB level already.

Naw I got what you were sayin.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
Maybe it's because they don't consider him a top prospect? He's an incredibly underwhelming talent especially given where he was taken in the draft.

Then they sure to talk about him a TON for someone they don't even value. All I ever hear if Castro, Vitters, and Colvin. I wish we were deep enough that a 23-year-old who hits .300 with 14 jacks, and 7 triples in 84 games in AA is not anyone significant to us.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
Then they sure to talk about him a TON for someone they don't even value. All I ever hear if Castro, Vitters, and Colvin. I wish we were deep enough that a 23-year-old who hits .300 with 14 jacks, and 7 triples in 84 games in AA is not anyone significant to us.

The cubs never talk up all of their minor leaguers as if they were phenoms. He may be the next Corey Patterson or dare I say Felix Pie.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)

It was his 3rd trip to AA. I'd hope he would be able to hit it on his 3rd go around, and even then, it was only for a half a season.

I'm guessing they realize that hes not gonna be anything special, so they arent worried about ensuring that he gets as many at-bats as possible. He tore the cover off the ball in ST, and looked like the best option for 4th/5th OF, so lets bring em up. Don't have to worry about development cause theres very little developing left to be done.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
The cubs have one of the worst bullpens ive seen them have in a long time.

Marmol (who has filthy stuff but walks a guy an inning) is their best guy. The rest are Marshall, Samardzjia, Grabow, Caridad, Berg and eventually Gorzellany when Lilly returns. That is ugly.

Rotation of Zambrano, Dempster, Wells, Silva and Gorzellany/Lilly. Not much prettier.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)
Marmol (who has filthy stuff but walks a guy an inning) is their best guy. The rest are Marshall, Samardzjia, Grabow, Caridad, Berg and eventually Gorzellany when Lilly returns. That is ugly.

Rotation of Zambrano, Dempster, Wells, Silva and Gorzellany/Lilly. Not much prettier.

if memory serves me correctly, their opening month or so of their schedule is a complete joke, so get ready for some of these guys to look OK and have Cubbie fever runnin' rampant!!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)

Considering their payroll, they have one of the most horrific looking rosters I've seen in a while.