Indians not expected to lock up Choo

RyanPaleAndHosed

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
i thought I remember reading somewhere that he has Korean Army service time requirements that need to be fulfilled in the next few years

Needs to serve two years by the time he's 30, turns 28 in July. He's a great all-around talent, would suck to lose out on two years in his prime. He won't be a free agent until 2013 anyway.

As one of baseball's rising young stars, Shin-Soo Choo has a bright future.

Due to circumstances beyond his control, the Cleveland Indians outfielder and native of South Korea is uncertain if that future will be interrupted.

Choo put together a solid all-around season in 2009, but he faces a potential problem that has nothing to do with baseball. South Korean men are required to serve two years in the military by the time they turn 30 years old. Choo will be 28 in July and will have to deal with this issue soon.

``It's hanging over my head a little bit,'' he admitted.

Choo has options. The best alternative would be to play for the South Korean baseball team in the 2010 Asian Games, which will be held in November. Choo would need to get clearance from the Indians to participate. If South Korea wins the gold medal, Choo said his military obligation would be waived.

The situation would become more complicated if Choo doesn't play on the team or if South Korea doesn't win the tournament. He's reluctant to go into details since this is a sensitive issue in his country, where his success with the Indians has turned him into a well-known figure.

Choo could refuse to return to South Korea or apply for citizenship in the United States, but he realizes that decision may not be well-received in his country, where people follow his performance on a daily basis.

``I try not to think about it,'' Choo said. ``It's the same as last year. I didn't think about it then. The only thing I know how to do is play baseball.''

Choo has gotten some good-natured questions about the situation from his teammates.

``They've asked me about it and I told them, don't worry, that I'll be with them,'' he said.

Choo, who bats and throws left-handed, had good numbers across the board last season. He hit .300 with 20 homers, 86 RBIs and 21 stolen bases. Choo tied for fourth among American League outfielders with 11 assists.

``I think I'm getting better at everything, not only hitting, but defense and stealing bases,'' Choo said. ``I want to keep getting better. That's my goal every year.''

New manager Manny Acta is getting his first look at Choo, but has been impressed with what he's seen early in camp.

``He sticks out the way he swings the bat,'' Acta said.

Choo's improvement could cause another problem for the money-conscious Indians. Although he can't be a free agent until after the 2013 season, he'll be eligible for arbitration following this season unless he signs a multiyear contract. The fact Choo recently hired Scott Boras as his agent probably won't help the Indians' chances of reaching a deal.

Choo, however, is comfortable playing in Cleveland.

``I like being with the Indians,'' he said. ``I feel like I'm at home here. I want to stay a long time.''

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
If South Korea wins the gold medal, Choo said his military obligation would be waived.

Wow, that is super intense! I think I'd rather win that than the World Series (were I him), considering the tangible benefits involved...seriously, though, that's a great way to incentivize a baseball game! Maybe that's what we should do with the all-star game.

Regardless of what happens with Choo, the Indian for whom we should be monitoring is Grady Sizemore.

If/when Cleveland falls out of contention, they will look to unload salary. He's the guy I'd LOVE to see batting leadoff for us (moving Pierre to #9 where he belongs.).

QUOTE (SteveB23 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
Regardless of what happens with Choo, the Indian for whom we should be monitoring is Grady Sizemore.

If/when Cleveland falls out of contention, they will look to unload salary. He's the guy I'd LOVE to see batting leadoff for us (moving Pierre to #9 where he belongs.).

also have to monitor how he bounces back from his injuries this year. He is obviously extremely talented and young enough, but it's not a given that he'll come back full guns this year

QUOTE (SteveB23 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)

There is about a zero chance that Cleveland would trade him in their division.

Sizemore doesn't even make that much given his talent and past production:

10: $5.6M

11: $7.5M

12: $8.5M club option

It was just 2 years ago that he was in the top 11 in the game in WAR and even with his bad, injury prone season last year he's still top 14 over the past 3 seasons. (top 5 from '06-'08)

Even if the Indians did put him on stupidly put him on the block we would be FAR from the highest bidder.

QUOTE (SteveB23 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
That's what "they" said about Donovan McNabb...look where he went.

:gosox3:

Comparing the NFL and the MLB is comparing apples to oranges. Further, comparing a 34 year old QB under contract for one more year to a 27 year old CF who is under team control for 3 more seasons makes the comparison even more outrageous. The Indians will not be dealing Sizemore to Chicago, nor Minnesota, nor Detroit, nor Kansas City, unless the offer was that much better than every other team in baseball's if the Indians even decided to offer him up. I don't see any of that happening any time soon.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)

It was just 2 years ago that he was in the top 11 in the game in WAR and even with his bad, injury prone season last year he's still top 5 over the past 3 seasons.

Even if the Indians did put him on stupidly put him on the block we would be FAR from the highest bidder.

And, not that I wouldn't love to have Sizemore on the roster, the Sox aren't exactly struggling for outfielders right now. They have 3 outfielders under contract for next season, and both Rios and Quentin are under control beyond that.

If he ever reaches free agency, then Soxtalk can collectively speculate, but it's just flat out not going to happen.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)

It was just 2 years ago that he was in the top 11 in the game in WAR and even with his bad, injury prone season last year he's still top 5 over the past 3 seasons.

Sizemore was not top five in WAR the past three seasons. He was top five from 2006-2008 and also top five from 2005-2008. From 2007-2009 he is tied for 14th with carlos beltran at 14.5 WAR. Your point still stands... he is highly underpaid for the caliber or player he is. Sizemore is one of the best in the game.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Sizemore was not top five in WAR the past three seasons. He was top five from 2006-2008 and also top five from 2005-2008. From 2007-2009 he is tied for 14th with carlos beltran at 14.5 WAR. Your point still stands... he is highly underpaid for the caliber or player he is. Sizemore is one of the best in the game.

Yeah, just noticed that. Didn't realize I had it set to 2008, seemed off but I went with it.

Comparing the NFL and the MLB is comparing apples to oranges. Further, comparing a 34 year old QB under contract for one more year to a 27 year old CF who is under team control for 3 more seasons makes the comparison even more outrageous. The Indians will not be dealing Sizemore to Chicago, nor Minnesota, nor Detroit, nor Kansas City, unless the offer was that much better than every other team in baseball's if the Indians even decided to offer him up. I don't see any of that happening any time soon.

And, not that I wouldn't love to have Sizemore on the roster, the Sox aren't exactly struggling for outfielders right now. They have 3 outfielders under contract for next season, and both Rios and Quentin are under control beyond that.

If he ever reaches free agency, then Soxtalk can collectively speculate, but it's just flat out not going to happen.

Let's not start that "where would he play?" crap. (Thanks Hawkeroo!)

You guys are very astute basball guys; while I'd love to see Sizemore on the Sox, I don't see it happenning. :notworthy