2010 Masters Thread

I guess some dude that cheated on his wife with a ton of women is returning. Not sure. Haven't seen much reported on it or anything.

Ernie Els is on a roll.

Saw a new Nike ad with Tiger. It's him staring into the camera as a narrarator talks about responsibility and being held accountable. Someone reported it was Tigers dad, who wasn't much of a saint himself.

Edited by Brian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
HD TV has made Sunday at Augusta that much better, no matter who is playing.

Here's hoping that Illini Steve Stricker keeps up his hot streak and earns himself a green jacket.

:headbang

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
I am not watching a second of it, because I am sick of the Tiger coverage.

I fully agree that the coverage was ridiculous and got very silly, don't get me wrong, I think cheaters are scum and Tiger came off as a dude who is basically a repressed teenager, but every report I heard was the women were consenting and of age, so basically I didn't care... however, he is one of if not the most dominating athletes of my lifetime and I am really curious to see how he comes back. Although I am going to Las Vegas this afternoon for the weekend, so the Masters will be on my back burner!

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
He looked outstanding yesterday. Dude shot 2 eagles and he never did that before in the Masters. This guy was out what 180+ days of golf action and is still only 2 behind the leader. Simply the best.

He was on top of his game most of the day, but his putting and short game clearly wasn't where it needed to be. With that said, he's still freaking amazing, and that 5 iron shot he curled on the 9th hole was one of the best shots I've ever seen. His tee shot on 12 was spectacular too.

I personally want him to win by 20 strokes.

The Tiger Woods analysis as to how he's going to play this week has been silly. Yes he's an absolutely horrible, scumbag of a human being (as much as you can be without doing anything illegal), and he's coming off a long layoff, but he's still the best golfer in the world. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wins this tournament. I was a bit surprised at the reception he got today, although i'm more interested to see the reception he gets at a tournament not as controlled as The Masters.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
He was on top of his game most of the day, but his putting and short game clearly wasn't where it needed to be.

Ya he missed a couple of short shots he usually is money in. (loved the intensity he showed when he hit that horrid shot into the crowd but came back from it) Still not completely there mentally which is just scary to think about when he's only 2 shots behind Couples.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:11 AM)
Ya he missed a couple of short shots he usually is money in. (loved the intensity he showed when he hit that horrid shot into the crowd but came back from it) Still not completely there mentally which is just scary to think about when he's only 2 shots behind Couples.

I think it was 14 when he pulled the iron way left of the green and dropped his club. Twitter immediately exploded with a bunch of crap about "same old Tiger" and people being general idiots. I hate humanity sometimes.

I'm not sure why Tiger is supposed to change his demeanor on the course. I never personally had a problem with that, he's an athlete who gets frusterated when he screws up. Who doesn't get frusterated and curse (or at least really want to) when they screw up? That's a completely seperate issue to the cheating.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:15 AM)
I'm not sure why Tiger is supposed to change his demeanor on the course. I never personally had a problem with that, he's an athlete who gets frusterated when he screws up. Who doesn't get frusterated and curse (or at least really want to) when they screw up? That's a completely seperate issue to the cheating.

Well, he needs to stop with the 17th green quickie he's gotten used to.

Anyway, Go Tom Watson!

Freddie Couples on top of the leaderboard is awesome, although I'm sure it won't last. I was surprised that it was Tiger's best 1st round score ever, he's gotta be happy with how the weekend is setting up right now. CBS is drooling over a Woods/Mickelson Sunday pairing. My guy Stricker sucked it up, hope he can turn it around this morning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
Well, he needs to stop with the 17th green quickie he's gotten used to.

Anyway, Go Tom Watson!

That.

If he plays like he did last year the The Open Championship and is in contention on Sunday, even without winning that's still quite the story and 6 month run for the guy.

I thought the reception for Tiger was pretty hysterical. "Yay, the creepy pervert is back on the course! Yay! Let's clap cuz he can hit the ball real far, yay!" Dude was banging his next door neighbors' daughter who he met when she was FOURTEEN (gross).

I'm rooting for Watson/Couples. That would be an amazing group Sunday.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
I thought the reception for Tiger was pretty hysterical. "Yay, the creepy pervert is back on the course! Yay! Let's clap cuz he can hit the ball real far, yay!" Dude was banging his next door neighbors' daughter who he met when she was FOURTEEN (gross).

I'm rooting for Watson/Couples. That would be an amazing group Sunday.

What does him being a creepy pervert have anything to do with rooting for him playing golf? I'm sure theres plenty of other athletes that you root for out there that are just as creepy if not worse than Tiger. They are just not stupid enough to get caught up in the media like him. Let him bang whoever and whatever he wants in his free time, I can still enjoy watching the best golfer in the world conquer Augusta.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
What does him being a creepy pervert have anything to do with rooting for him playing golf? I'm sure theres plenty of other athletes that you root for out there that are just as creepy if not worse than Tiger. They are just not stupid enough to get caught up in the media like him. Let him bang whoever and whatever he wants in his free time, I can still enjoy watching the best golfer in the world conquer Augusta.

I'm not saying people can't if they don't want to, I personally would not though. I watch sports figures because I like them, not because I think they're really good at what they do. I think Barry Bonds is a jagoff, so despite his Hall of Fame skills, I'll always root against him. Ditto for A-Rod, Clemens, McGwire, etc.

Clearly I don't know professionals personally, but the perception of them makes me want to root for/against them. To me I just think it's funny to have a guy that most people think is morally reprehensible be applauded like he's an idol. I know what he did wasn't that bad on the scale of bad things, but still.

I have a feeling the reception would be quite different at a normal tournament. And I think he knew that, and that's why he chose to come back so early. And it's not a surprise that there are a ton of reports coming out that his wife (the person he's supposedly doing everything humanly possible to win back) is pissed about him coming back so soon. Career>family was basically his choice, just another thing that makes me think he’s a giant douche. *

*Of course that's assuming those reports are true, which they may or may not be.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
I'm not saying people can't if they don't want to, I personally would not though. I watch sports figures because I like them, not because I think they're really good at what they do. I think Barry Bonds is a jagoff, so despite his Hall of Fame skills, I'll always root against him. Ditto for A-Rod, Clemens, McGwire, etc.

Clearly I don't know professionals personally, but the perception of them makes me want to root for/against them. To me I just think it's funny to have a guy that most people think is morally reprehensible be applauded like he's an idol. I know what he did wasn't that bad on the scale of bad things, but still.

I have a feeling the reception would be quite different at a normal tournament. And I think he knew that, and that's why he chose to come back so early. And it's not a surprise that there are a ton of reports coming out that his wife (the person he's supposedly doing everything humanly possible to win back) is pissed about him coming back so soon. Career>family was basically his choice, just another thing that makes me think he’s a giant douche. *

*Of course that's assuming those reports are true, which they may or may not be.

Golf and life are two different things. Golf is his job. It's what he does for a living. If we knew the dark underbellies of many of the stars/athletes/etc. that we like or look up to...we probably would never go to a game or see a movie again.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)

Its always easy to root against athletes you dislike. Roger Clemens & Curt Schilling are two of my least favorite athletes simply because they are such big douchebags. I'd be careful though if you are gonna root for athletes simply because you like them and think they are good people. If you knew who they truly were and what they did off the field, your opinion might change about many of them.

Back to the golf, Poulter & Westwood out to a 3 stroke lead now. Tiger & Choi are hanging right there at -6 with two to go.

Sandy Lyle shot a 69 yesterday and was in the hunt. Followed that up with an 86 (+14) today....ouch!