4/9 Twinkies vs Sox - 7:05pm cdt WCIU

Vote4Pedro

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
What do you expect with a lot of these players? There are some deficiencies with the pitching (Linebrink and Garcia are examples), but that's something the rest of the staff can overcome. We can't overcome the lack of a DH. We have two "quick" and savvy veterans that aren't going to help at all in Pierre and Vizquel. Teahen will hit an occasional homer, but that's it. Our shortstop doesn't hit in the months of April and May, plus he might be certifiably retarded. And I really don't think Konerko is any good. He's a mediocre 1B when it comes to offensive numbers, and we need more than that with this lineup.

I agree but OG and KW swear this is the ONLY solution in offseason!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious?

Jones slugged .500+ last year. Mark Kotsay could barely touch .400.

I am completely serious that it is ridiculous to think Jones is the answer in any situation. Nobody wanted that guy but Kenny and Ozzie. He's no good. Please face facts.

I'm saying it's ridiculous to get worked up over Kotsay over Jones. Both hitters are dimes a dozen guys, over the hill.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)
We're going to start scoring more sooner or later. These things always regress to the mean, and this team should be able to score 4.5 runs a game when they do.

If we had scored 4 runs instead of 3 in 9 innings these past three games, we'd have at least 2 more wins.

I'm as frustrated as anyone but I agree. We actually have a positive run differential this season so far. We've been unlucky so far, as there were several oppurtunities in the last couple of games to win just by getting at a simple bloop hit. Things will even out over time, as this team is not going hit .150 or win at a .250 clip all year.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
The 2010 White Sox: An incredible waste of a pitching staff.

Not only is Ozzie a terrible in-game manager and terrible at making out a lineup, he's also a terrible judge of talent. "Ramirez is going to be the best shortstop in the AL" -- my eye!

Couldn't have said it better.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
That really is debatable regarding Jones.

Jones

2009 17HR in 281AB

2008 3HR in 209AB

2007 26HR in 572AB

2006 41HR in 565AB

2005 51HR in 586AB

Kotsay

36HR from 2005-2009

The man had more HRs in part time last year than Kotsay has had in his best year.

That's hardly debatable.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
The 2010 White Sox: An incredible waste of a pitching staff.

Not only is Ozzie a terrible in-game manager and terrible at making out a lineup, he's also a terrible judge of talent. "Ramirez is going to be the best shortstop in the AL" -- my eye!

Ramirez is a joke at SS, they needed to leave him at 2nd

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
I'm as frustrated as anyone but I agree. We actually have a positive run differential this season so far. We've been unlucky so far, as there were several oppurtunities in the last couple of games to win just by getting at a simple bloop hit. Things will even out over time, as this team is not going hit .150 or win at a .250 clip all year.

At this point the hitting is bad and .200 may be the high water mark.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
I am completely serious that it is ridiculous to think Jones is the answer in any situation. Nobody wanted that guy but Kenny and Ozzie. He's no good. Please face facts.

I'm saying it's ridiculous to get worked up over Kotsay over Jones. Both hitters are dimes a dozen guys, over the hill.

I just gave you them.

Numbers = facts.

You telling me that Jones = Kotsay means you haven't looked into this at all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:08 AM)
Knight, are you telling me seeing Jones at the plate excites you in any way at any time?

He's better than Kotsay, Teahen, Vizquel, Nix, AJ, Pierre, and maybe Ramirez when it comes to his history of production.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
Knight, are you telling me seeing Jones at the plate excites you in any way at any time?

I'm not saying I think Kotsay is any good, either.

At least Jones has the potential to do something good. He has a good resume and he still brings good defensive play to the table in some valuable positions.

I'd much rather see Jones up there than Kotsay.

What I'm saying is both players suck. Is that simple enough?

Your stats do prove Jones has a better chance of lofting a home run. I agree.

Unless the Jones of 2010 is as done as you all feel Dye is done. I tend to feel the Jones of 2010 is the same as Dye of 2010. Done as a burned steak. I agree Jones on paper is the better choice. But I've burned the paper because I feel Jones as well as Kotsay suck.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Jones

2009 17HR in 281AB

2008 3HR in 209AB

2007 26HR in 572AB

2006 41HR in 565AB

2005 51HR in 586AB

Kotsay

36HR from 2005-2009

The man had more HRs in part time last year than Kotsay has had in his best year.

That's hardly debatable.

Jones has batted .206 since turning 30 years old a few years back. Kotsay is a better hitter to have up to start an inning.

Now if it was 2 outs and no one on, then let Jones swing for the fences.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
Jones has batted .206 since turning 30 years old a few years back. Kotsay is a better hitter to have up to start an inning.

Now if it was 2 outs and no one on, then let Jones swing for the fences.

Jones also had around the same OBP as Kotsay while hitting .212. I don't think Kotsay's the better guy to put out there no matter what.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)
Picking between Jones and Kotsay is like picking between Teahen and Omar. Does it matter?

Yes, it matters.

You obviously think too lowly of Jones and too highly of Kotsay.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
I hate teams like this. Either be good or be bad. It's frustrating as hell watching this freakin' team.

Apart from the pitching staff, this team is bad. Very bad. That's what's so frustrating - it's a terrible waste of an exceptional pitching staff. And it's specifically what the manager wanted.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:33 PM)
Apart from the pitching staff, this team is bad. Very bad. That's what's so frustrating - it's a terrible waste of an exceptional pitching staff. And it's specifically what the manager wanted.

I agree with you completely, and the bold part should be emphasized.

4 games is a VERY small sample size for what the season offers

If this is the same crap after this first month, ill step out onto the ledge too

ill edit in the starting pitching has been great so far and the games close, at least were not gettin trounced like the Astros.. if you wanna see a really bad team with nothing, watch one of their games..

Edited by T R U

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
4 games is a VERY small sample size for what the season offers

If this is the same crap after this first month, ill step out onto the ledge too

ill edit in the starting pitching has been great so far and the games close, at least were not gettin trounced like the Astros.. if you wanna see a really bad team with nothing, watch one of their games..

It's frustrating because the offense has seemed to pick up right where it left off last season. In fact, it feels like it's been the same offense since the downturn in 2006.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
It's frustrating because the offense has seemed to pick up right where it left off last season. In fact, it feels like it's been the same offense since the downturn in 2006.

Agreed, but its still just 4 games so far and while its definitely justifiable to be upset with it, its not time to throw in the towel on a 162 game season 4 games in...