Santos being groomed as closer of the future?

RyanPaleAndHosed

Cowley was on the Danny Mac show today. He said we could being seeing Santos in more "key pressure situations" as the year wears on. Might even see him in the role as early as June (if Jenks falters of course). What do you guys think? I know it was only one outing, but he looked pretty solid. That straight change looked nasty after a steady diet of straight heat. Or a fastball in the ear. In any case, it's just nice to have a hard throwing righty who can get outs. ::cough:: Pena :: I'm sticking with "El Matador" until Hawk tells me otherwise. Image by Brett Luce smallsantos.jpg

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
Well, it's also definitely not going to be Putz with him throwing those 92-93 MPH Billy Koch-esque fastballs...not unless he can get back up into the 94-97 MPH range again. Which may or may not ever happen.

I think Putz should gain a couple MPHs as the season wears one. He said he was a little less than 90% near the end of spring training, and when its cold like last night, he might have lost a mile or 2 /per hour off his velocity. Its hard to be loose.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Well, it's also definitely not going to be Putz with him throwing those 92-93 MPH Billy Koch-esque fastballs...not unless he can get back up into the 94-97 MPH range again. Which may or may not ever happen.

Give him time. This is the first year in about 2 years the guy is completely healthy. He'll get stronger as the year goes.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
Dude has an insane arm, he'll be a closer one of these days, no doubt in my mind.

Could be sooner rather than later. Unless Jenks returns to his 2007/2008 form this season, I don't see him in a Sox uni next year. Given the payroll that they'll carry into next season, it would make a lot more sense to trade Bobby's rights for a prospect than to pay him $8M+ to be a very average closer.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
Could be sooner rather than later. Unless Jenks returns to his 2007/2008 form this season, I don't see him in a Sox uni next year. Given the payroll that they'll carry into next season, it would make a lot more sense to trade Bobby's rights for a prospect than to pay him $8M+ to be a very average closer.

If Jenks doesn't have a good year, they might not even be able to do that much...