GAME THREAD: 4/10 Twinkies vs Sox - 12:05pm cdt CSN+, Baker vs Garcia

chisox2334

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
I'll correct myself. He could never hit, that well. I think that's fair. He's just always been an elite defender, never a great hitter. But yeah, it was wrong for me to speak in absolutes.

lol, you have no clue on what youre talking about. Youre all over the place. First you say he never hit well and then say never a great hitter. There's a big middle ground between not that well and great. He was a good hitter. He had 9 years where he batted .275 or higher. Guys who cant hit dont do that.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
I think Pierre playing every day is an out machine.

Pods while a bad defender was a hit machine.

Alright, Pierre isn't great, but I HATE the too-often heard statement "Juan Pierre is an out machine." Yes, Juan Pierre is not a high OBP guy; for what it's worth, most of the time, Pods wasn't either. The difference is that Pierre plays 162 game a year, and he leads-off in every one of them. So, yeah, he's going to make a lot of outs, because he's going to bat nearly 700 times a year! So to simply call him an "out machine" is a truly undisciplined way of using sabermetrics.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
I'm watching the f***ing Royals game and they are pounding the f***ing ball.

Ankiel has five hits in a row over 2 nights.

Pounding the ball? They've got 1 run so far tonight.

And they scored 4 runs last night... and 3 the night before.

What's your definition of "pound"?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
lol, you have no clue on what youre talking about. Youre all over the place. First you say he never hit well and then say never a great hitter. There's a big middle ground between not that well and great. He was a good hitter. He had 9 years where he batted .275 or higher. Guys who cant hit dont do that.

I corrected myself to say that while he wasn't a great hitter, he certainly was a good one. I admitted i was wrong, and you felt the need to ignore that. So what's the problem?

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
Pounding the ball? They've got 1 run so far tonight.

And they scored 4 runs last night... and 3 the night before.

What's your definition of "pound"?

you HAVE been watching the sox correct?

I'd say four runs is pounding the ball.

I hate to be a negative prick, but I just have a bad feeling about our offense.

It's pretty bad when I'd give anything to have Ankiel in our lineup and Pods as well. I just watched Pods smash a double off the wall.

Maybe I'll have to root for my Sox B-team this year as well in the Royals. I get to see Pods and Getz play regularly here.

OK I'm depressed about our first five games. So kill me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
I hate to be a negative prick, but I just have a bad feeling about our offense.

It's pretty bad when I'd give anything to have Ankiel in our lineup and Pods as well. I just watched Pods smash a double off the wall.

Maybe I'll have to root for my Sox B-team this year as well in the Royals. I get to see Pods and Getz play regularly here.

OK I'm depressed about our first five games. So kill me.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're not alone.

I tell you what ... I know Boston has been sucky, but I watched that game tonight and that lineup compared to ours is like comparing the Lakers to the Nets.

Edited by greg775

Was at the game today, Freddy pitched fantastic, Linebrink held the Twins down, and no one hit the ball hard other than Konerko and Rios (he almost won the game with a walkoff, but it didn't have enough carry). Gordon looks exceptional at 2B at times.

The problem is, once this team gives up a lead, even a one run lead, it's insurmountable.

At least I got a a Barons (old design) hat, and got to shut up a Twins fan.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
It's a useless .300 if he can't run, as he has zero extra base power and doesn't draw walks. But I guess the 9-hole would suit him. But we know that's not happening.

dude .300 is .300 there is nothing useless about it and especially how we have been hittin so far ide kill to see a useless .300.. and furthermore he CAN run when he gets on so that if is scratched off..

and I don't care what you say or what stats you try to throw out about this, but Pierre hitting an infield single and then stealing second is as good as a double to me.. his job is to get on base, and get into scoring position not be the run producer and I think eventually here when things pick up he will be doing just that..

theres no reason to assume Pierre wont get going, the dude has a .276 avg and 30 SB as his worst marks in his entire career and having 500+ ABs that steal number is no less than 45..

Edited by T R U

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
dude .300 is .300 there is nothing useless about it and especially how we have been hittin so far ide kill to see a useless .300.. and furthermore he CAN run when he gets on so that if is scratched off..

and I don't care what you say or what stats you try to throw out about this, but Pierre hitting an infield single and then stealing second is as good as a double to me.. his job is to get on base, and get into scoring position not be the run producer and I think eventually here when things pick up he will be doing just that..

theres no reason to assume Pierre wont get going, the dude has a .276 avg and 30 SB as his worst marks in his entire career and having 500+ ABs that steal number is no less than 45..

I agree with the bold. That's the only asset he brings to any team. Not a punchless .300 average. His speed needs to be fully utilized. Don't waste Beckham's bat trying to get him into scoring position, as Ozzie chose to do the other night.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
I agree with the bold. That's the only asset he brings to any team. Not a punchless .300 average. His speed needs to be fully utilized. Don't waste Beckham's bat trying to get him into scoring position, as Ozzie chose to do the other night.

Oh I agree, he should have had him stealing instead of throwing away Beckhams AB..

I think I'm gonna stop posting during games. I really just get in a bad mood when this team does poorly, because to me, being able to watch baseball is supposed to be my release from all the stress of my final semesters in college, and so far it's just been even more stresses and upsetting. I know I'm an overly pessimistic person in certain moods.

So if you guys see me posting during games, tell me to go away, at least until I'm done with school for the semester.

Edited by TitoMB