Sn's 2002 Minor League All Star Team

Chisoxfn

SN's 2002 Minor League All Star Team

By: Jason Gage

The 2002 minor league baseball season came to an end just weeks ago with the Birmingham Baron's the only team to make the playoffs, and have a successful season, as they won the Southern League Championship. Now, it is time to take a look at the different players in the organization, and rank the two best at each position this year. To go along with position players there are the 5 best starting pitchers, and the 5 best relievers. Here is your 2002 White Sox minor league all star team:

CATCHER

Starter: Miguel Olivo (Birmingham)

Stats: .306 avg, 6 hr's, 49 rbi's, 51 runs, 29 steals

Backup: Shane Scoville(Phoenix)

Stats: .278 avg, 1 hr's, 13 rbi's, 16 runs

FIRST BASE

Starter: Ryan Hankins (Birmingham)

Stats: .280 avg, 7 hr's, 72 rbi's, 51 runs

Backup: Casey Rogowski (Winston Salem)

Stats: .255 avg, 3 hr's, 23 rbi's, 27 runs, 16 steals

SECOND BASE

Starter: Aaron Miles (Birmingham)

Stats: .322 avg, 9 hr's, 68 rbi's, 67 runs

Backup: Willie Harris (Charlotte)

Stats: .283 avg, 5 hr's, 33 rbi's, 54 runs, 32 steals

Runner Up: Edwin Yan (Winston Salem)

Stats: .253 avg, 4 hr's, 35 rbi's, 78 runs, 88 steals

SHORTSTOP

Starter: Guillermo Reyes (Winston Salem)

Stats: .279 avg, 4 hr's, 49 rbi's, 51 runs

Backup: Tim Hummel (Charlotte)

Stats: .260 avg, 4 hr's, 41 rbi's, 55 runs

Runner Up: Pedro Lopez (Bristol)

Stats: .319 avg, 0 hr's, 35 rbi's, 42 runs, 22 steals

THIRD BASE

Starter: Joe Crede (Charlotte)

Stats: .312 avg, 24 hr's, 65 rbi's, 57 runs

Backup: Micah Schnurstein (Phoenix)

Stats: .332 avg, 3 hr's, 48 rbi's, 28 runs

Runner Up: Edgar Vallera (Bristol)

Stats: .330 avg, 8 hr's, 40 rbi's, 30 runs

LEFT FIELD

Starter: Julio Reyes (Kannapolis)

Stats: .287 avg, 7 hr's, 24 rbi's, 25 runs

Runner Up: Bjorn Ivy (Bristol)

Stats: .272 avg, 1 hr's, 14 rbi's, 37 runs, 15 steals

CENTER FIELD

Starter: Joe Borchard (Charlotte)

Stats: .272 avg, 20 hr's, 59 rbi's, 62 runs

Backup: Jeremy Reed (Kannapolis)

Stats: .319 avg, 4 hr's, 31 rbi's, 37 runs, 17 steals

Runner Up: Anthony Webster (Bristol)

Stats: .352 avg, 1 hr's, 30 rbi's, 58 runs, 16 steals

RIGHT FIELD

Starter: Darren Ciraco (Bristol)

Stats: .329 avg, 10 hr's, 51 rbi's, 47 runs, 27 walks, 39 k's

Backup: Brooks Kieshcnick (Charlotte)

Stats: .275 avg, 13 hr's, 40 rbi's, 32 runs

STARTING PITCHERS

Kris Honel (Kannapolis)

Stats: 9-8, 2.82 era, 153.1 inn, 152 k's

Heath Phillips (Winston Salem)

Stats: 6-16, 3.52 era, 179 inn, 5 cg's, 3 shutouts

Josh Stewart (Birmingham)

Stats: 11-7, 3.53 era, 150.1 inn

Nik Lubisich (Kannapolis)

Stats: 9-3, 2.71 era, 122.2 inn

Ryan Wing (Kannapolis)

Stats: 12-7, 3.78 era, 123.2 inn, 109 k's

BULLPEN

Joe Valentine (Birmingham)

Stats: 4-1, 1.97 era, 36 saves, 55 games

Edwin Almonte (Charlotte)

Stats: 2-3, 2.24 era, 26 saves, 50 games

David Sanders (Birmingham)

Stats: 3-1, 1.84 era, 0 saves, 47 games

Gary Majewski (Birmingham)

Stats: 5-3, 2.65 era, 3 saves, 57 games

Arnaldo Munoz (Birmingham)

Stats: 6-0, 2.61 era, 6 saves, 51 games

Decent job overall, need to check your facts on a few things though.

First off, Birmingham wasn't the only Sox affiliate to make the playoffs, Bristol made the playoffs if you paid any attention to what was going on. Bristol not only made the Appalachian League playoffs, they won. Stupid mistakes like that make your credibilty seem suspect.

Lopez is a second baseman, not a shortstop. Andy Gonzalez played short at

Bristol and isn't listed, even though he is a top prospect.

Left Jon Adkins, Corwin Malone, Ryan Meaux, Rylan Reed and Daniel Haigwood

off at pitcher.

Ciraco rated too high. He's 22 and failed at Low A ball. Did well at advanced rookie ball, but he's playing against high school kids, which isn't really that impressive.

Also think Chad Durham deserved at least some recognition. Improved his batting average as he moved up the ladder and stole 39 bases.

And Mike Morse could be a decent shortstop. Good pop in his bat.

Next time, check your facts before you post your article.

This article was going on stats, I was in no way ranking prospects. As far as the Bristol thing goes, I wrote this a while back, and forgot all about them in all honesty. I remembered it and added it to my version, but forgot to give it to Mario so when it got uploaded it a bit different.

When you pick an all star team you don't go on potential, you go on what they produced and I tried my best to forgot what a prospects status was and simply look at how good of a season they had.

Left Jon Adkins, Corwin Malone, Ryan Meaux, Rylan Reed and Daniel Haigwood

off at pitcher.

Adkins was too inconsistent, Meaux didn't spend enough time with us, and Haigwood was easily out-pitched by Brandon McCarthy. Reed has 37 BB in 54 IP, not good at all.

I would have thrown McCarthy on there, but other than that, looks fine.

So are you saying some of the guys I had on the list at pither deserve to be there more?

The thing is, when you pick an all star team you don't do it with anything other then stats, imo. Do I consider Miles much of a prospect? Nope, but that doesn't mean he wasn't going to make the list just because he's an older guy playing at AA.

Also, as far as Meaux goes, he is an older guy himself thats playing in A Ball

Do whatever you want, it's your report, I was just telling you some of the errors you made.

Where did you get the idea that Lopez is a shortstop?

Also last time I checked, 37 BB in 54 innings isn't that bad. If so, then Corwin Malone's horrible if you judge him by his walks.

I made a mistake on the shortstop, the site I was at said he was drafted as a shortstop and that he can still play shortstop, but I made the mistake that he is playing 2nd with the Sox.

As far as Malone and Reed go, what are you guys talking about cause I don't have Malone on thier nor do I have Reed, well I have Jeremy Reed.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Thats a good idea Matthew.  I know a lot of other people here know the minors so I'd be curious to see your all star team.  I love debating stuff and I know with things like this everyone has different views.

i am by all means not an expert and i try not to come across as i, or i least i should say i try not to.

i enjoy a variety of peoples opinion on the minors and will give way to them. their are 2 right now on the other board that i respect and you fn here.

i really don't know what the other person problem. fn you are a person who made an opinion and posted it. you never came across as pretending to be an expert. you are not paid by a sport site. so all this is your opinion and i thank you for your work.

btw, this person reminds me of someone from the other board.

Guest hotsoxchick1

ldf is that what i missed here.. its some know it all from elsewhere...i was trying to connect the dots here and boy did i screw that one up... jas we should have a good minor league discussion here....there is a lot of talent down there and we are looking pretty good for the future.....

Discussion is what I like. Abozichiu has every right to crisitize me though cause I Did make a mistake and I admit it. As a writer I still have a long way to go, and I'll take his critism as feedback on how to become better.

Michelle, who impressed you the most other then Miguel Olivo when you were down in Birmingham in August?

Guest hotsoxchick1

of course miguel.. i have watched him for two seasons now... miles was another impressive one...joe valentine was absoutely awesome.... we have a good closer/ relief in him.....danny sandoval has improved since last season....he needs a bit more work but i think he should be making the trip up to trip a soon....darron ingram is another one who has a decient bat.. his defense is a bit rocky but he will pan out good with a bit more experience...chad durham is another one who was good.. what impressed me most about him was his base runnning.. he seems very comfortable taking the jumps when needed and with little direction from the base coach.....hes got a good eye for that stuff....maybe runs in the family???delvis lantigua has some good stuff...with a bit of work he can be a very effective pitcher for us....there were a few others who were ok.. but these guys stuck out in my mind most......