4/12 GT: Sox @ Blue Jays, Peavy vs. Tallet

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
The summer of 2009 is going to be the worst thing that ever happened to the white sox.

Really? 1919? 88 years without a world series? The game where they wore shorts? Disco Demolition night? 2007? David Wells? GM Harrelson?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
I think Peavy let that last call to Overbay affect him there.

Stop making excuses for him like people made for Javy. These guys are getting paid a ton of money, and simply aren't performing so far.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 07:47 PM)
Stop making excuses for him like people made for Javy. These guys are getting paid a ton of money, and simply aren't performing so far.

Yeah, he should be throwing a shutout every game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
Really? 1919? 88 years without a world series? The game where they wore shorts? Disco Demolition night? 2007? David Wells? GM Harrelson?

David Wells was at least a one year disaster. If he's referring to the contracts of Rios and Peavy, those are going to hurt the Sox a lot more than Wells.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
ok so im kind of confused by peavys velocity. -i thought he always threw hard, like 95. since hes been with the sox ive only seen him at about 90-92. so has he always been at about 92 with his fastball or whats going on? :huh:

That's how fast he's been throwing for a while now.

He's averaging 91-92 on his fastball. It was the case last year and in 08.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)

How is this even remotely the same thing?

I thought Peavy looked pissed at that last call to Overbay, maybe he was still pissed and had a mental lapse. Who knows?

That's not an excuse, that's simply a thought about why that pitch was so poorly located.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
Peavy will be fine, he's just not used to pitching in the cold.

Or he will be fine because he's one of the best pitchers in major league baseball. But, lets ignore actual reality for a second.....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)

Well, worse than David Wells and 2007 for sure. We've got 22+ million dollars locked up for several years that could be used for other, really good players.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
That's how fast he's been throwing for a while now.

He's averaging 91-92 on his fastball. It was the case last year and in 08.

hmm..maybe because the injuries. well i hope peavy is ok, there was a lot of talk about his stuff in spring training

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
so thus far out of peavy...hes been throwing low 90s, not mid 90s, and he's not getting the movement on it like we saw last year....not good

His movement looked pretty damn good against Cleveland.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
Or he will be fine because he's one of the best pitchers in major league baseball. But, lets ignore actual reality for a second.....

I'm really not sold on that. The scouts were just bashing his stuff this Spring (not just what we heard in the press). It wasn't his fastball they were worried about, but rather his slider was being thrown at a different plane. I really do hope it works out for him in Chicago though, so by no means am I giving up on him yet.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
lol @ all the peavy nonsense, I think some of us here may have thought he would post a sub 3.00 ERA, he's not that kind of pitcher in AL. I expect 3.85 ERA ish.

He's making too much money to be a 3.85 ERA guy.