Seriously Ozzie?

Chisoxfn

There are smarter ways of doing that.

I agree; there are better ways of doing it.

Ozzie is our manager, so we have to deal with what/who we have.

IMO, if he leaves/gets launched, we're gonna get Joey Cora as our next manager...will that be better for you? More importantly, would the team be any better with Cora as the manager...DOUBTFUL!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 05:56 AM)
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/soxnet/201...usly-ozzie.html

I realize he is defending Rios, but dude, this doesn't look good, not at all.

It's funny how people can react differently to stuff they read, but when I read Ozzie's quote I laughed out loud. To me it's genuinely funny and he's kind of got a point. Rios was being harassed.

I must be missing something cause I don't see anything wrong in that statement. I don't see him encouraging anyone to do anything. He just said don't push players buttons in public when they are doing poor. If you push the right button on anyone they are going to snap. This is like the least shocking thing Ozzie has ever said

My take? People need to stop listening to any athlete about any topic but athletics. Just like you don't listen to the dude on the street corner who says the CIA is bugging your teeth, you don't listen to athletes who say anything about the rest of life. Their perspective is completely out of line with reality for oh-so-many reasons, so why anyone treats them as pontificators or wise human beings is beyond me. They're not heroes, nobody should teach their children that they're heroes, and they're certainly not worth our time once they step off the field.

As it applies to this situation, Ozzie said something that a number of unenlightened adults I know would probably have said...adults I wouldn't listen to anyway. It's not exactly cosmopolitan, but what do you expect?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
Ozzie's career will end in an Al Campanis sort of way.
Al Campanis the man who helped ease Jackie Robinson's transition to the big leagues. Who because of a few ill chosen words was descended upon like a pack of wolves and essentially had the end of his life ruined. Another side of the Campanis story As for Ozzie, when he was first hired it should have been obvious that he could be a train wreck waiting to happen.

Which is why KW wanted to hire Cito Gaston in the first place.

All things considered, you'd certainly have to argue that hiring Ozzie was the right choice. How long that might continue to be the case remains to be seen.

Which is my point about Joey Cora being the heir apparent.

Jerry Reinsdorf rarely, if ever hires coaches and/or managers who've had prior experience coaching/managing on the pro level. (See LaRussa, Bevington, Torborg, Fregosi, Manuel, Lamont, Guillen, Phil Jackson, Tim Floyd, DelNegro, Boylan, Cartwright, etc.). He doesn't believe in throwing big $ at coaches and/or managers.

Gaston didn't get hired cuz JR didn't wanna pay him, don't kid yourself into believing anything else.

Edited by SteveB23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
Which is why KW wanted to hire Cito Gaston in the first place.

All things considered, you'd certainly have to argue that hiring Ozzie was the right choice. How long that might continue to be the case remains to be seen.

Of course hiring Ozzie was the right f***ing choice.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
christ this place is worse than the media. Who the hell cares? Really? Why do you care about some reporter baiting oz into saying "something crazy". Stupid

I don't really care that much about this specific incident. I do care a little that the face of my favorite franchise is such a buffoon that reporters are able to "bait" him into saying "something crazy" and laugh about it afterward like he's the neighborhood lunatic. Seems to me it reflects poorly on the franchise, but that's just me. Others are free to draft posts explaining how little they care about the subject they're posting messages about.

QUOTE (SteveB23 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
Which is my point about Joey Cora being the heir apparent.

Jerry Reinsdorf rarely, if ever hires coaches and/or managers who've had prior experience coaching/managing on the pro level. (See LaRussa, Bevington, Torborg, Fregosi, Manuel, Lamont, Guillen, Phil Jackson, Tim Floyd, DelNegro, Boylan, Cartwright, etc.). He doesn't believe in throwing big $ at coaches and/or managers.

Gaston didn't get hired cuz JR didn't wanna pay him, don't kid yourself into believing anything else.

Its been pretty well stated that he wanted player personnel decisions. We all know Kenny isn't giving that up.

I dont get what the big deal is, this is Ozzie Guillen... its who he is. Plus I have no problem with Rios losing his cool over there that fan was pathetic and just because he is getting paid a lot doesnt mean he should have to deal with that s*** away from the baseball diamond.

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
I don't really care that much about this specific incident. I do care a little that the face of my favorite franchise is such a buffoon that reporters are able to "bait" him into saying "something crazy" and laugh about it afterward like he's the neighborhood lunatic. Seems to me it reflects poorly on the franchise, but that's just me. Others are free to draft posts explaining how little they care about the subject they're posting messages about.

If Ozzie is who you think of as the face of your franchise, we're in more trouble anyway. The face of my franchise is Konerko, Buehrle, Peavy, Beckham, and Quentin. And its been said before, but if all people can think of about the sox is "ol' crazy Ozzie" and not how horrible they are playing, I'm fine with it.

Got managers who get caught snortin coke and we're worried about something ozzie said after a horrible loss and a bad start to the season. Whoopdee doo