4/17 GT: Sox @ Indians, Peavy v. Westbrook

Disco72

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
Gene Lamont won 86 games his first year managing the White Sox then had 2 first place finishes. He was canned 31 games into his 4th season with a career winning pct. a lot higher than Ozzie's and replaced with Terry Bevington, perhaps the biggest joke of a manager in MLB history.

I guess what I'm saying is, even though I wouldn't do it, its not unprecedented for a guy like Ozzie to get canned fairly early if things don't turn around, even if there really isn't a better alternative around.

Its one thing to be 4-8, but with 8 of those games against Cleveland and KC and the others against Toronto, there has to be a little concern.

Agreed.

Except you're thinking of KC and not the TWINS. We haven't played KC yet. That will only add embarassment when Pods outplays Pierre.

At least BA is basically done and Fields and Getz are injured. I'm sure KW would be really annoyed if they beat us with all four of those guys starting for the Royals after we discarded them. You can add Rupe to the list of ex Sox on the Royals

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
Wow, I can't defend Ozzie there.

I'm not sure what other options he had.

There was no question Thornton was going to be called in to face Sizemore, Choo, and Hafner.

I suppose we could have brought him in to start the inning, but...

Jake was rolling along pretty nicely.

I don't think bringing him out to start the 8th was a horrible idea.

But neither he or Thornton got the job done. What do you do?

Besides, if our offense was worth a damn, it probably wouldn't have mattered.

Edited by scenario

Basically Ozzie said there's no need for the White Sox to even have a hitting coach.

Unless Viciedo, Danks and Flowers are playing regularly at the big league level. That's brilliant Ozzie.

I'm sure Mike Gellinger enjoyed your comments as well.

So it seems he's acknowledging that at least some of the hitters just aren't listening/preparing or they're just completely tuning out and doing their own things up there with no consequences to their playing time.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)
I'm not sure what other options he had.

There was no question Thornton was going to be called in to face Sizemore, Choo, and Hafner.

I suppose we could have brought him in to start the inning, but...

Jake was rolling along pretty nicely.

I don't think bringing him out to start the 8th was a horrible idea.

But neither he or Thornton got the job done. What do you do?

Besides, if our offense was worth a damn, it probably wouldn't have mattered.

Two walks in the 7th. If A.J. didn't throw Valbuena out, he might have given up the tying run in the 7th.