4/26 Games

flavum

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
Wow. 3-3, 2 HR, BB

Thats what I want to see out of him in that bandbox. OPS jumped to .700+ now. Gotta improve the walks a bit, but power is the main thing for him as he's disappointed alittle in that area. (Danks is the guy who has to work on the K's of course)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Really? I thought it was the power we were waiting on.

Well, based on what I read, he already has the swing to generate power, so the power is expected. It hadn't shown up this season but all reports indicated it was there.

OTOH, no one is really sure if he will ever be able to cut down k's, draw walks, and hit offspeed pitches.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
OTOH, no one is really sure if he will ever be able to cut down k's, draw walks, and hit offspeed pitches.

His K numbers aren't terrible, it's the K/BB ratio that's bad, but that's partly because he's got such an aggressive approach that he needs to adapt.

"You don't WALK your way off the island."

If I had one dollar for every time I've heard that about a Domincan or Cuban hitter, I'd be a very rich man.

But it's true, buscones think scouts are more impressed with a pure raw hitting display than pitch selection/recognition/strike zone patience demonstration in actual in -game situations that help teams win real games.

If a scout's at your prospect's game, he's swinging like Vladdy, Uribe, Sosa or Alexei Ramirez.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:18 PM)
Ely to start for the Dodgers on Wednesday vs the Mets

That should be hilarious. And btw, I think Trayce Thompson ends up a top-25 prospect in all of baseball, he is definitely our top prospect since Borchard in terms of ceiling (granted Borch never reached it).

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
And btw, I think Trayce Thompson ends up a top-25 prospect in all of baseball, he is definitely our top prospect since Borchard in terms of ceiling (granted Borch never reached it).

I'm really trying to temper my enthusiasm for him at this point because he's so young in his career but it is really hard not to be excited about him in watching the level of improvement that he's shown so far.

A couple days ago i was on a reputable scouting website that did a write up on him talking about his fast start, i don't remember the exact wording that they used but they said something to the effect that "super talented high round picks like him usually spend their offseason in one of two ways, either enjoying their signing bonus or working. It's obvious that Trayce spent his winter working." They also mentioned how the Sox organization was impressed with his work ethic during minor league camp.

Obviously he won't keep his current pace, but if he continues to have a successful year, I could see him skipping High-A next year and starting in AA. In terms of raw tools, he is an elite prospect and he is putting those tools into elite production thus far. You can't help but be enthusiastic. We really have not had a player with his type of offensive potential for awhile.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 03:21 AM)

jesus, i'm trying to temper my excitement a little. "let's see how he does once peeps adjust to him a little," i think. "let's see him keep it up for at least a month or two," i think. then i read s*** like this and wanna start hugging strangers in the street, shouting "trayce!" over and over again.

<br />jesus, i'm trying to temper my excitement a little. "let's see how he does once peeps adjust to him a little," i think. "let's see him keep it up for at least a month or two," i think. then i read s*** like this and wanna start hugging strangers in the street, shouting "trayce!" over and over again.<br />
I read that as "humping strangers in the street" at first. Thought you might like to know. Edited by almagest

Terrible job on announcing the scores. :P

Barons lost 9-5. Nunez.. 5.1 IP 9 H 6 R 6 ER 1 BB 2 SO... ouch.

Christian Marrero (1-3, BB, R, 2B) is heating up and worth keeping an eye on. Dude has 12 BB (only 7 SO) in 53 ABs. He had 11 in 226 ABs for W-S last year, and 18 BB in 229 ABs for the second half of B-Ham when he got promoted. Clearly he's adjusting quite nicely as far as discipline and if he continues to hit a little bit more, he will be with the Knights. (sorry JPN)

W-S was off :(

Kanny lost 8-1.

Thompson: 1-3, 2B, BB

Ciolli & Colligan: 1-4

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
Actually, yeah. He's striking out about 30% of the time, about the same as Danks, as a 21 year old in AAA. That's encouraging. He definitely needs to cut that by like, 5% or more, but he's got time.

Viciedo's K rate was fine last year. I wouldn't declare a K rate a problem less than 3 weeks into the season.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
And btw, I think Trayce Thompson ends up a top-25 prospect in all of baseball, he is definitely our top prospect since Borchard in terms of ceiling (granted Borch never reached it).

Thompson does seem to have that type of upside and reputation growing. When you are compared to Mike Stanton early on and then start performing like it, you know scouts and experts are going to love you.