twins has the third highest attendance rate in baseball?

thxfrthmmrs

the minnesota twins, as we are speaking, are 18-9, tied for the third best record in the league, have the best 1-2 punch in the AL, morneau and mauer ,and they are both lefties. they also play in a lefty friendly ball park with a plethora with lefties in the lineup

according to ESPN http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

they also happen to have the 3rd best attendance rate in baseball with close 98% full for their 12 home games thus far, and their attendance average of 38,600 really scares me. even the monday and tuesday game with the tigers had attendance over 38,000. i tried to look for their tickets online and most of their home games had already sold out this season. Their tickets are also some of the highest priced this year in baseball. while our attendance is averaging little bit over 23,000 thus far, and has declined each of the past 3 seasons.

Now i know the twins have spent over 100 millions themselves to fund their new ballpark, but looking and their tickets sales and their payroll in the recent years, i think it's safe to say that they have moved out of the small market team label? could we see in the coming years that their payroll scorching up to 100 millions while we fall back to 75-80 millions?

the twins' management has been known for being able to build a competitive team with a small payroll. just imagine what they can do with a higher payroll. as it stands now, in the next 5-10 years twins will be very, very, very competitive. that is something sox fans should be concerned about.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
First of all, this thread belongs in the Diamond club.

Second of all...this strikes me as totally unusual for a winning team that just opened up a new ballpark.

i didn't say this was unusual, but kind of unexpected for such a high attendance rate

winning or not, they have sold out most of the home games this season. would say you expected them to have an attendance like this and sell out most of the home games before the season starts?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
i didn't say this was unusual, but kind of unexpected for such a high attendance rate

winning or not, they have sold out most of the home games this season. would say you expected them to have an attendance like this and sell out most of the home games before the season starts?

Yes. They opened a brand new ballpark to replace a s***hole dome stadium that sucked for baseball, and they were easily favored to win their division.