Would it be better for the organization to get swept by the twins?

Greg Hibbard

If you feel this team doesn't have enough as-is, do you think it be better to get swept by the twins, and start picking up the pieces for 2011 asap?

I realize there are those who say you always want your team to win.

I realize that many will probably think we aren't out of it yet.

This team is not bad, but certainly not very good.

In my opinion, as is the best this team can hope to do is about 85 wins. To do even that, they'll have to play 15 over the rest of the way. That's almost inconceivable with the start they've had.

It's becoming clear to me that the Twins seems like at least a 90 win team.

Why not just start retooling now?

I feel as though the worst case scenario is staying close enough to stand pat and waiting until the offseason to start addressing major problems.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. It's only two games.

Why not go for the gusto and wish that the team tanks the rest of their games so that they're GUARANTEED to get a top pick next year!

No wait, let's wish for a 5 year tank-job so that the Sox can have the best AA team in pro baseball!

Hell, why not a solid decade of wishing that they lose, it's worked so well for the Cubs!

QUOTE (knightni @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
No. It's only two games.

Why not go for the gusto and wish that the team tanks the rest of their games so that they're GUARANTEED to get a top pick next year!

No wait, let's wish for a 5 year tank-job so that the Sox can have the best AA team in pro baseball!

Hell, why not a solid decade of wishing that they lose, it's worked so well for the Cubs!

I think you're completely blowing my thought out of proportion.

This has nothing to do with draft picks, and more to do with identifying major organizational problems, in my opinion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
No, and here's why.

If this team falls completely out of the race early this season, it's a ticket sales killer.

8 games out in mid May is pretty close to out of the race already. Not very many teams come back from deficits like that. A very very small number of exceptions have, but that number is super small.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
8 games out in mid May is pretty close to out of the race already. Not very many teams come back from deficits like that. A very very small number of exceptions have, but that number is super small.

They wouldn't have to finish off the comeback to still make it an interesting season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
They wouldn't have to finish off the comeback to still make it an interesting season.

That's true, I'll give you that. But I think in the minds of the majority of White Sox fans they are pretty much out of it. They would have to come back on not one, but two really good teams to contend. That's going to be tough with this team, even if half the ones that are playing like s*** do play better.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
No. It's only two games.

:notworthy

I want a sweep either way.

Sox sweep-- Ok... cut it to 6 games, get to 15-19, which is starting to sniff .500.

Twins sweep-- 10 games out, and 8 games under .500. Everyone will acknowledge the Sox are out of it, and it will be easier to deal with.

Split-- Then it's a nothing series, and they go to KC and prolong the agony.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)

And that's where I think the organization could really get in trouble, by standing pat while we are 6-9 games out through June, July, August.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 11, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
That's true, I'll give you that. But I think in the minds of the majority of White Sox fans they are pretty much out of it. They would have to come back on not one, but two really good teams to contend. That's going to be tough with this team, even if half the ones that are playing like s*** do play better.

This is such an incredible line of BS. We are thirtysome games into the season. There are 130 games remaining!

No one is hoping they continue to fall further back, but to claim that this deficit cannot be made up over the course of nearly 5 months of baseball is absolutely ridiculous.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
And that's where I think the organization could really get in trouble, by standing pat while we are 6-9 games out through June, July, August.

If they get to the point where they can hang while being 6-9 games out of it...that means a few things have actually gone right. They're not hanging with people if Quentin and Beckham and Pierre and Pierzynski and Ramirez continue hitting .200 or worse.

Those guys continue hitting like Vizquel on a bad day, and they're not going to hang at a constant number of games back, they'll be 20 out by then.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
This is such an incredible line of BS. We are thirtysome games into the season. There are 130 games remaining!

No one is hoping they continue to fall further back, but to claim that this deficit cannot be made up over the course of nearly 5 months of baseball is absolutely ridiculous.

Who said it can't be made up? I said it rarely, if ever happens. Go look up the numbers. Teams just don't come back and win the division from 8 games back with two good teams ahead of them.

I think analyzing this situation has equally to do with identifying how mediocre we've been as a team, but also taking a hard look at exactly how well the Twins are playing. They are getting a lot more than expected from some players, but it appears Liriano is back in a big way and that's a huge unexpected boost for them.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
Who said it can't be made up? I said it rarely, if ever happens. Go look up the numbers. Teams just don't come back and win the division from 8 games back with two good teams ahead of them.

It happens in our division all the time. Have you not been watching the Twins over the past few years? Did you not notice the Indians almost came back from 16.5 back in AUGUST in a certain year not too long ago?

I'm sorry, but 8 games on May 11th is nothing. The reason teams 8 games back on May 11th don't usually win the division is because those teams usually suck, not because they are 8 games back with only 130 left to play.

If you want to say most fans are convinced the team sucks, go right ahead. But do not tell me they are "out of it." That is absolute nonsense. Do you realize that to come back from an 8 game deficit on May 11th would require them to SLASH away almost TWO GAMES PER MONTH starting RIGHT NOW?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
It happens in our division all the time. Have you not been watching the Twins over the past few years? Did you not notice the Indians almost came back from 16.5 back in AUGUST in a certain year not too long ago?

I'm sorry, but 8 games on May 11th is nothing. The reason teams 8 games back on May 11th don't usually win the division is because those teams usually suck, not because they are 8 games back with only 130 left to play.

If you want to say most fans are convinced the team sucks, go right ahead. But do not tell me they are "out of it." That is absolute nonsense. Do you realize that to come back from an 8 game deficit on May 11th would require them to SLASH away almost TWO GAMES PER MONTH starting RIGHT NOW?

How many games do you think it will take to win this division, with the way the Twins are playing?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)

Well, yah, this team isn't nearly as good as any of those Twins teams, so you are right in that I think most Sox fans just think this team sucks.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
Well, yah, this team isn't nearly as good as any of those Twins teams, so you are right in that I think most Sox fans just think this team sucks.

How can you say that, on May 11th? Did you think the 2006 Twins looked like a good team on May 11th, 2006?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
How can you say that, on May 11th? Did you think the 2006 Twins looked like a good team on May 11th, 2006?

How often does a team that looks like absolutely s*** in all three phases of the game turn it around like the Twins did in 06 or last year. It just doesn't happen very often, and there are a ton of teams that look like s*** in mid may.

Like I said, if you want to believe it can happen, more power to you. There are examples to show you that it has certainly happened. Unfortunately there are many many many more examples of s***ty teams in mid may staying s***ty the entire year.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
How often does a team that looks like absolutely s*** in all three phases of the game turn it around like the Twins did in 06 or last year. It just doesn't happen very often, and there are a ton of teams that look like s*** in mid may.

Like I said, if you want to believe it can happen, more power to you. There are examples to show you that it has certainly happened. Unfortunately there are many many many more examples of s***ty teams in mid may staying s***ty the entire year.

There are plenty of PLAYOFF teams that were playing rotten in May. The 03' Marlins. The 07' Rockies. The 09' Rockies. The 06' Twins.

You're not making any sense.