Official 2010 World Cup Thread

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great f***ing game to be at. Had awesome seats in the corner on the half where the goals were scored.

Bradley and Torres looked good in the middle, Landon and Clint were dangerous. Findley was surprisingly strong, really liked what we saw from him. Spector sucked. Good to see Gooch looking in better form.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 29, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
I don't know a lot about soccer, but the defense looks terrible (got better in the 2nd half, but still). Offense looked dangerous though.

It's not great. If Gooch regains his form he and DeMerit are solid on the interior (remember the Spain game) and Bocanegra is usually reliable on the outside but the left back spot between Spector, Cherundulo and Bornstein is weak.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 29, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
I don't know a lot about soccer, but the defense looks terrible (got better in the 2nd half, but still). Offense looked dangerous though.

The US defense is pretty poor. The only 3 proven and reliable defenders they have (Onyewu, Bocanegra, DeMerit) are all coming off injuries of varying severity. I don't think we'll be able to play Onyewu in the starting 11. He's probably too far away from being back physically to play 90 minutes. I like Goodson, but he's not proven yet.

I think today's game is a sign of what's to come. The midfield is class, and they have a few options going forward but will rely on the midfielders to create for the forwards. Defensively, it is going to be rough. Turkey had some great chances that a team like England might score an extra goal or two from. Overall, I'm pleased though. Bradley is going to have to be careful with his lineup, they don't have the depth to be situated incorrectly.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 29, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)
In an ideal world maybe Serbia shouldn't lose to New Zealand. :huh

So I heard. I didn't get to watch the game so I can't comment. Not sure what the hell happened. From what I've been told, we played far better than NZ but just come up on the wrong end.

I also can't find a box anywhere so I have no clue who played and who didn't.

EDIT: I guess Ivanovic, Krasic, Jovanovic, and Stankovic all didn't play. That would explain the lack of offense.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ May 30, 2010 -> 06:24 AM)
Great f***ing game to be at. Had awesome seats in the corner on the half where the goals were scored.

Bradley and Torres looked good in the middle, Landon and Clint were dangerous. Findley was surprisingly strong, really liked what we saw from him. Spector sucked. Good to see Gooch looking in better form.

Ha.

I've been saying that all season long as a West Ham fan. Safe to say he's not very well liked by Hammers fans after the season he had.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 30, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
I watch a little soccer, mostly EPL on Fox and ESPN, so I'm not familiar with it greatly, but with the lacking D won't England with Rooney and some combination of Bent, Crouch, Defoe, etc.. just tear the U.S. up?

Probably.

Howard's gonna have to play a blinder if the US want to get a point out of that game IMO. Possible though.

Well Mexico cut Jonathan Dos Santos and his dad says JDS will never play for Mexico again. Now the father is saying how Gio Dos Santos is heartbroken and doesnt know if he wants to play right now since his brother was cut.

Seems like the father is stirring the pot at the worst possible time for Mexico. And Gio needs to grow a pair and get over it. I'm sure it's tough but you only get a handful of these opportunities if youre lucky in your career.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 30, 2010 -> 04:29 AM)
Probably.

Howard's gonna have to play a blinder if the US want to get a point out of that game IMO. Possible though.

We have the 3rd or 4th worst odds for winning our opening match for the entire tournament. Last I saw it was +600. I know getting of a point in that game is going to be hard enough but I still will throw 25 to win 150 on a US win.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 31, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
What's the TV schedule going to be for this? South AFrica 6 hours ahead?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 11, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Also, for reference, South Africa is 6 hours ahead of EST so it's 7 hours ahead of those of you in the CTZ.

Original post :P

We just beat Denmark in South Africa 1-0. Think it's at the same ground where we'll be playing the US this w/e. Couple of observations;

The pitch was very sandy, making it pretty hard to get a good passing game going. Hopefully this isn't an issue at all of the stadiums (I assume it won't be).

The ball they'll be using at the World Cup swerves a lot especially at altitude. That said, it looked hard to actually get any height on it, especially at corners which all seemed to be very flat.

Get used to having to put with loads and loads of horns being blasted in the background.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
We just beat Denmark in South Africa 1-0. Think it's at the same ground where we'll be playing the US this w/e. Couple of observations;

The pitch was very sandy, making it pretty hard to get a good passing game going. Hopefully this isn't an issue at all of the stadiums (I assume it won't be).

The ball they'll be using at the World Cup swerves a lot especially at altitude. That said, it looked hard to actually get any height on it, especially at corners which all seemed to be very flat.

Get used to having to put with loads and loads of horns being blasted in the background.

Yeah, that was annoying last year during the Confederation's Cup. I'm sure it will be even more obnoxious this year.

We've got Poland tomorrow and Cameroon on Saturday and I believe we'll be featuring most, if not all of the starting 11, so 2 good performances will be key for Serbia. Krasic, Jovanovic and Ivanovic are the 3 most important players. If they play well, I'll feel good about things.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
Drogba out for the World Cup. Broke his right arm vs. Japan. Another huge blow to an African side.

That really sucks. I had high hopes for CIV and I like watching them play. Obviously Drogba can't be replaced but the Elephants do actually have quite a bit of depth in the goal scoring department.

Also, Rio Ferdinand might have a significant knee injury. You don't like seeing guys get hurt but that would obviously be helpful to the US cause next Saturday if he could not play.

Ferdinand's definitely out, been ALL over the news here, Michael Dawson been called up to replace him.

It's a HUGE loss for England because Ledley King can't play back to back games because of his knee, while Matty Upson didn't have a good season for my team West Ham.