Does this trade make sense? Info on Salt please

BamaDoc

Sorry, I usually hate hypothetical trade rumors but I saw Texas mentioned on MLB trade rumors as having poor production at catcher. They have Saltalamacchia at triple A. What about AJ for Salt if we keep struggling? Would he be good to pair with Flowers as Salt is a switch hitter and if he is not up now maybe they have soured on him. Anyone know anything about him?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Sorry, I usually hate hypothetical trade rumors but I saw Texas mentioned on MLB trade rumors as having poor production at catcher. They have Saltalamacchia at triple A. What about AJ for Salt if we keep struggling? Would he be good to pair with Flowers as Salt is a switch hitter and if he is not up now maybe they have soured on him. Anyone know anything about him?

Flowers is now sporting a .993 OPS and rising in AAA, and his defense has been improving in the past couple years. If you just want a backup for Flowers, why trade away AJ for something easily found elsewhere, or even within the organization?

I would. Put him or Flowers over at 1B/DH and call it a day. Saltalamacchia is a nice switch-hitting young player (though his clock is ticking) at only 25. Don't know if he will ever figure it out at the MLB though. If you can't hit in Texas... well....

Anyone know if he has recovered over his "mental" lapses at catcher though? I remember it was sad seeing him not even come close to throwing back to the pitcher in between pitches.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ May 16, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)
mlb trade rumors now reporting Rangers have asked about AJ

A veteran catcher who hits from the LH side with about $5 million remaining on his deal and playoff experience, plus a June 13th trade deadline? I wouldn't be surprised if there were about 5 teams who had asked about him. The Rays, the Yankees, the Rangers, the A's, the Nationals, the Marlins, the Phillies. Lots of them have regular catchers, but there's a lot of nagging injuries out there.