Unload...

WHITESOXRANDY

Over the next two months the White Sox should move:

A.J. - he'll bring a good prospect. Ask Texas for the best of their 4 young catchers and a minor league arm. Let that catcher and Flowers duke it out for p.t. now and see what we have.

Konerko- this is probably the best time in years to deal him. He could really help some team and the financial commitment isn't that large. He could yield a really nice prospect or two.

Rios- yes, it would be nice to keep him but why? To see if this team can finish ahead of KC ? It might be better if we got the number 1 draft pick instead. Besides, the Sox gave up nothing for him so it could be a steal if they get a goo dyoung talent for him.

Jones- trade him now while he's playing well. Again, a steal if they get a nice prospect.

Putz- same as above.

Floyd- as soon as he rights himself and he will.

Peavy- same as above.

Buehrle- send him to the National League. If the Cardinals don't want him then someone will. Take what you can get.

Trade these 8 guys for the most young talent that we can get and start over.

For this year, keep:

Pierre- no one will take his contract so they are stuck through next year.

Linebrink- see above

Teahen- ditto ( atleat the Sox have his replacement already for 2012 Morel)

Might as well hold onto the rest of the team and add the young guys to it. They can't be any worse.

Kotsay, Vizquel, Garcia and Nix let them play out the year. They have no trade value.Same with Quentin. Decide next year what to do about him.

Start over next year with our core of young guys and hopefully they will draft high and well for the next few years. Maybe they can fix the organization in that time with a much lower payroll and the money invested into international scouting, better coaches, scouts and minor league player development with a new organizational philosophy.

Why continue down the same path that's proven to be ineffective?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the value in starting over unless you have some top prospects. The White Sox really don't have those. You are not going to get top prospects unless you trade Peavy. Flowers will probably be a decent hitter. He'll have a fairly low AVG. with decent power and OBP. A poor man's Jim Thome.

Rios and Peavy aren't going anywhere, IMO. Which is fine. If the Sox are actually going to unload and try to rebuild for next year, I'm fine with trading AJ, Konerko, Jones, and even Floyd. I'm not sure what kind of return they could get for those guys, but I'm sure we will find out about a few of them soon.

I don't think AJ will bring the Sox much other than cash savings, but I could be wrong. Maybe you can get one of the Rangers young catchers that they haven't been able to develop, not sure. But I think now would be a good time to move AJ and consider letting Flowers try it up here. Probably a bit too soon as Flowers still has adjustments to make, but it is what it is.

Hitting-wise, I don't think Flowers would be much worse than AJ is right now. But AJ brings a lot more than his bat to the game. That being said, I still think he gets moved, and I wouldn't mind seeing Flowers. I would imagine that we'd see quite a bit more of Castro, too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
I don't think AJ will bring the Sox much other than cash savings, but I could be wrong. Maybe you can get one of the Rangers young catchers that they haven't been able to develop, not sure. But I think now would be a good time to move AJ and consider letting Flowers try it up here. Probably a bit too soon as Flowers still has adjustments to make, but it is what it is.

Ideally, Flowers can get another 3 weeks in the minors. The deadline to trade AJ is June 13th. He becomes a 10/5 player after that, and he's indicated he would be unwilling to be moved if he had the right to veto.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Rios and Peavy aren't going anywhere, IMO. Which is fine. If the Sox are actually going to unload and try to rebuild for next year, I'm fine with trading AJ, Konerko, Jones, and even Floyd. I'm not sure what kind of return they could get for those guys, but I'm sure we will find out about a few of them soon.

The deal I keep coming back to is Casey Blake for a scrub at AAA and a lower level prospect who is not the #1 prospect in their org.

If you're trying to do a firesale and you target guys at the upper levels, you're not going to get much back unless you're selling gold (i.e. an Alex Rios).

If you target upper level guys, what you're more likely to get is reclamation projects. We've actually had some success with doing exactly this. Gavin Floyd is the prime example. But on the other hand, you also get a Brent Lillibridge for every Gavin Floyd.

There's one other way to do it, and that's to do what the Indians did in the Blake deal, or what the Dodgers did when they stole Ethier from the A's, etc., and that's target lower level guys who your scouts like but who have a long way to go and may also be blocked by another player. You do that, and maybe 2-3 years later, a couple of those guys have washed out, but a couple others have developed into studs.

As much as I'd like to unload everyone it doesn't make sense since all but like 4 players are absolutely sucking. This very same team could make the playoffs next year if they just get off on the right foot.

Look at the Tigers in 2008. They were 74-88, last place in the division. They had just acquired Cabrera, Renteria and Jones. They're team was stacked. Everyone handed them the division. They turned it around the next year without any majors moves.

This team is the result of bad luck and incapable of getting out of the funk. It would take too much to rebuild.

QUOTE (striker @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
As much as I'd like to unload everyone it doesn't make sense since all but like 4 players are absolutely sucking. This very same team could make the playoffs next year if they just get off on the right foot.

The reality is...this team won't be together next season.

The odds are that at most 1, maybe 2 of these guys would be back next year. And if they are back, it's going to eat up the money it would take to fill other holes.

Konerko

Pierzynski

Jenks

Putz

Jones

Kotsay and Vizquel as well but nobody really cares about them.

If we're not prepared to offer Konerko another 2/$20 next offseason and someone else is, or we're not prepared to offer AJ 2/$10 to fill a catching hole, we're not prepared to offer Jenks arbitration and have him score a $10 million deal, we're not prepared to offer Jones an $8 million deal...then it makes zero sense to hold any of them. Especially considering you could save $10 million this year that could be invested into the draft or next year's team.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ May 17, 2010 -> 06:56 AM)
Over the next two months the White Sox should move:

A.J. - he'll bring a good prospect. Ask Texas for the best of their 4 young catchers and a minor league arm. Let that catcher and Flowers duke it out for p.t. now and see what we have.

Konerko- this is probably the best time in years to deal him. He could really help some team and the financial commitment isn't that large. He could yield a really nice prospect or two.

Rios- yes, it would be nice to keep him but why? To see if this team can finish ahead of KC ? It might be better if we got the number 1 draft pick instead. Besides, the Sox gave up nothing for him so it could be a steal if they get a goo dyoung talent for him.

Jones- trade him now while he's playing well. Again, a steal if they get a nice prospect.

Putz- same as above.

Floyd- as soon as he rights himself and he will.

Peavy- same as above.

Buehrle- send him to the National League. If the Cardinals don't want him then someone will. Take what you can get.

Trade these 8 guys for the most young talent that we can get and start over.

For this year, keep:

Pierre- no one will take his contract so they are stuck through next year.

Linebrink- see above

Teahen- ditto ( atleat the Sox have his replacement already for 2012 Morel)

Might as well hold onto the rest of the team and add the young guys to it. They can't be any worse.

Kotsay, Vizquel, Garcia and Nix let them play out the year. They have no trade value.Same with Quentin. Decide next year what to do about him.

Start over next year with our core of young guys and hopefully they will draft high and well for the next few years. Maybe they can fix the organization in that time with a much lower payroll and the money invested into international scouting, better coaches, scouts and minor league player development with a new organizational philosophy.

Why continue down the same path that's proven to be ineffective?

I agree that it is probably time to unload. I've held out hope, tried to justify how this team can get back into the race, and tried to think of who they could add that would take them to the next level. If you think about it, this team just isn't good enough to compete with the Twins this year. Sad but true. Don't let pride get in the way and give away prospects to try and compete with the Twins. It's not worth it this year. The smartest thing for this team to do is sell off some pieces and start to rebuild and get a little younger.

A.J. - You've got to look to trade him. Go out and see what you can get for him. His contract is up at the end of the year and this team isn't going anywhere. Trade A.J. to a team that thinks they can compete, save the money that left on his deal and see what you can get for him. Bring Flowers up on June 1st and let him be the starting catcher for the rest of the season.

Konerko - Almost the same as above. Last year of his deal, save the salary, see what you can get. Both Konerko and A.J. have done a ton for the White Sox (2005) and deserve to be on a team that is competing for a championship. I'm not an expert on player value so I'm not sure what you can get in return for A.J. and Konerko as rentals, but they aren't going to be brought back to the Sox next year anyways so you really aren't losing anything by trading them to contenders, plus it'll save some money which will hopefully be spent in the offseason.

Rios - Keep him. He is part of the new core of this team.

Jones - To keep respectability I'd probably keep him and let him play outfield or DH every day. He hardly costs anything and has been a nice addition to this team. The only way they should trade him is if they want to let Jordan Danks come up and get major league experience instead of letting Jones play. A.J. and Konerko make around $19 million combined this year so it's a nice cost savings for the team to dump that salary. With Jones only making $500,000, it's not that beneficial to get rid of him, unless you can get a nice prospect in return( which I doubt will happen).

Putz - I would look to trade him as well. Teams always overpay for relievers around the trade deadline. Putz is only signed through this season so there is no harm in trading him, assuming you aren't going anywhere this season.

Floyd- Keep him. He has a track record of being solid with the Sox. His contract is very reasonable and he will turn his bad start around. He's also part of the new core of this Sox team.

Peavy - Keep him. You don't trade Peavy when his value is low. To trade him you'd have to eat some salary and probably wouldn't get great value in return. He's part of that new core.

Buehrle - I'm split on this. If you can get a nice haul of young talent for him then I would say trade him. If you can't get exactly what you want I would keep him. He's only 30 years old. If you sell on Buehrle you would be selling low.

Teahen/Pierre/Linebrink - I think the Sox are stuck with these guys, for better or worse.

Pierzynski is worth squat.

Do you guys remember this offseason?

JD can't get 3 million!

If the Sox pick up the contract, they get one decent prospect (which they are actually paying 6 million for) or they get someone to pick up what is due to AJ and KW gets a couple crap "save face, 100/1 to see the bigs" players.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
Rios - Keep him. He is part of the new core of this team.

Jones - To keep respectability I'd probably keep him and let him play outfield or DH every day.

Jones has already proven this, he needs to be treated like glass. You play him every day and he's on the DL by the end of May. It really is that simple.

Rios, to me, remains an expensive luxury that a team with 6-7 likely free agents, commitments for $75-$80 million, and a $95 million payroll can't afford righ tnow.

So unload the entire team including top players signed for multiple years for what exactly? A bunch of prospects? Walk back to your living room, pick up your controller and continue your MLB the show league. IN real life, this idea is what we call retarded.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
So unload the entire team including top players signed for multiple years for what exactly? A bunch of prospects? Walk back to your living room, pick up your controller and continue your MLB the show league. IN real life, this idea is what we call retarded.

Frankly, if I get to firesale mode (and we show every sign of needing to get there) I'd unload everyone who was an upcoming FA this offseason that I could possibly unload for whatever I could get back, including simply salary savings. I'd try to get back a lower level minor leaguer or a reclamation project for the guys who are struggling (Jenks, Putz, Kotsay or Vizquel or AJ if anyone will take htem) and I'd try to get legitimate pieces back for Konerko and Jones.

And then, out of the guys remaining, I'd look to move Rios for a top level prospect.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)

I don't think you trade away guys with years left on their deal that can still give the Sox some production (Floyd, Rios). I do believe that trading guys that have expiring contracts (Konerko, A.J., even Jenks who is set to make a lot at arbitration next year) is a smart move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
Frankly, if I get to firesale mode (and we show every sign of needing to get there) I'd unload everyone who was an upcoming FA this offseason that I could possibly unload for whatever I could get back, including simply salary savings. I'd try to get back a lower level minor leaguer or a reclamation project for the guys who are struggling (Jenks, Putz, Kotsay or Vizquel or AJ if anyone will take htem) and I'd try to get legitimate pieces back for Konerko and Jones.

And then, out of the guys remaining, I'd look to move Rios for a top level prospect.

The Sox are NOT going to get anything back for Kotsay or Vizquel, including even a return of a bag of baseballs. If you want those guys gone the only way that's happening is simply releasing them, which I'd actually be fine with. You are NOT going to get a legitimate prospect back for Andruw Jones either. Maybe they can get a reclamation project type player back for him. To me, A.J. and Konerko may bring in legit prospects from a contender.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
I don't think you trade away guys with years left on their deal that can still give the Sox some production (Floyd, Rios). I do believe that trading guys that have expiring contracts (Konerko, A.J., even Jenks who is set to make a lot at arbitration next year) is a smart move.

IMO, a full firesale done correctly has to be done with the idea of maximizing all value possible out of every player you have.

If you have a guy signed for a number of years or under your control for a number of years who is underpeforming his contract, unless another team makes you an incredible offer for that player, you don't move him, because his value is likely to go up if he finds a grove. (Floyd, Peavy, Teahen, Beckham, Quentin are in this category).

If you have a guy who is likely to be a Free Agent at the end of the year, then you take whatever you can get from them unless you think they'll be a type A Free Agent at the end of the year and you can get picks back that are more useful than the trade offers. (Jones, Pierzynski, Konerko, Putz, Jenks, Kotsay, Vizquel).

If you have a guy who is actually performing at or above his pay grade who is also signed for a number of years, then you consider moving him while his value is high. You don't trade him off for nothing, but you get the best possible piece in exchange for him that you can. Rios is the best example in this category. D1 might fit here also if we got a gigantic offer for him.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:35 AM)
The Sox are NOT going to get anything back for Kotsay or Vizquel, including even a return of a bag of baseballs. If you want those guys gone the only way that's happening is simply releasing them, which I'd actually be fine with. You are NOT going to get a legitimate prospect back for Andruw Jones either. Maybe they can get a reclamation project type player back for him. To me, A.J. and Konerko may bring in legit prospects from a contender.

I don't know... come trading deadline, you just might find a team that's desperate for another bat. KW might get more than you think for Jones.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
I don't know... come trading deadline, you just might find a team that's desperate for another bat. KW might get more than you think for Jones.

If he keeps hitting...Jones would make an ideal addition for a team needing a bat and some OF defense/DH. We'd be really helped by the fact that his contract is so cheap; a team like hte Rays wouldn't have to give it a 2nd thought.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
I wonder if we start dealing off bigger parts if Peavy won't ask to be dealt as well... he did come here with hopes of competing.

Peavy's a much more difficult case to deal than Rios, for a couple reasons. First, he has a larger contract. Second...he hasn't pitched like an all star over the season so far.

I don't have all the salary numbers, and without knowing team revenue projections and whether or not they're planning a total salary cut over the next few years or legitimately have room for expansion...but unless I was really fiscally strapped, I wouldn't trade him unless I got what I considered to be fair value for an ace pitcher under contract for a long time.

And to me, that value is 2-3 legitimate high level top prospects.

You can note quite readily that San Diego did not get that for Peavy, no matter what you think of Richard, he wasn't on anyone's top 25 in baseball list. Ditto the other guys we sent.

We got Peavy at a firesale price from a team desperate to unload his salary. Unless we're equally desperate to unload that salary, the only reason to move him is for a king's ransom.

The only players that need to be traded (in my mind) are A.J., Konerko, and Jones. You might as well shop Putz too, and i can't see Jenks really fetching anything, unless he's a piece in the package. I'd DFA Williams, Vizquel and Kotsay, and just restock the 25-man with younger guys. Note: Not Danks 2 or Viciedo. Not Yet.