NBA Offseason Thread

Harris is more of a scoring combo guard. The plan in NJ is to matchup Melo and Lopez, possibly bring in a guard next year, and build the rest with role players. It would make them a perennial playoff team which would be good at first, but I don't know how much farther they would get.

I think they're better off keeping Favors. I think he has a ridiculously high ceiling.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
BTW, it's been reported Joakim was offered 5 years/57 million a few weeks ago, and was none too happy about it. Apparently, he's looking for max money, or at least what Bynum got. The reported figure when the story first drop was higher for the initial offer.

496007281_bbae733fca_o.jpg

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Harris is more of a scoring combo guard. The plan in NJ is to matchup Melo and Lopez, possibly bring in a guard next year, and build the rest with role players.

Their plan is good.... but I highly doubt Melo wants to be in a losing environment and not make the playoffs. The Nets would REALLY have to sell him on it even if their plan is legit. He is more likely one and done.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
BTW, it's been reported Joakim was offered 5 years/57 million a few weeks ago, and was none too happy about it. Apparently, he's looking for max money, or at least what Bynum got. The reported figure when the story first drop was higher for the initial offer.

Sorry Joakim, your going to have to do this one more year (and healthy at that) for this organization (hopefully) to commit that kind of money. I'm sure they've learned from the Deng situation, and Luol was at least more proven from a couple productive years even though he was hurt in one of them.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Sorry Joakim, your going to have to do this one more year (and healthy at that) for this organization (hopefully) to commit that kind of money. I'm sure they've learned from the Deng situation, and Luol was at least more proven from a couple productive years even though he was hurt in one of them.

The bigger reality is...if he thinks he's going to get max money, he wouldn't have a shot at it until after the 2011-2012 season. Considering that season is plausibly not going to happen...and then even more importantly, the CBA is likely to undergo huge changes before then...the Bulls would be insane to offer more than 5/$60ish right now, and frankly Noah'd be an idiot not to jump at it.

Let me preface this by saying that I don't follow the NBA whatsoever.

What in the f*** are the Bulls waiting for? I don't care if you like Noah or think he's the next Dennis Rodman (which he's not) or anything, if he's not willing to sign an extension like that, and you can get Anthony by including Noah in the deal, you f***ing make that deal. You don't need a great center to win championships, you need a guy who can get boards and post up a little and get garbage buckets that can pass a little bit. Carmelo Anthony is a phenomenal player and trading for him is the type of move that a team who got absolutely b****slapped during the offseason by a team within their own conference makes to counter what the aforementioned team did.

YOU GOTTA GET YOUR ASS OUT THERE AND (trade for) THAT F***ING DOG

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 08:03 PM)
Why would Denver want Noah since he's not signed for next year either? I don't see Denver as a place Joakim would like to be. I think its just more NBA rumor BS. I don't think Denver would trade for Noah unless HE agreed to an extension first, and I don't see that happening.

Noah is a restricted FA. He'd be under control for, what...2 more years after this season? A package of Noah, Gibson, Deng, and some first round picks wouldn't be bad for Denver (if it works under the cap).

I have to say, Noah isn't worth anywhere near a max contract...or even Deng's contract. Trading Noah in a package for a top 15 NBA player like Anthony should be an easy decision. But once again, Paxson will probably prefer hustle to talent,

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Noah is a restricted FA. He'd be under control for, what...2 more years after this season? A package of Noah, Gibson, Deng, and some first round picks wouldn't be bad for Denver (if it works under the cap).

You're assuming that the next 2 seasons happen.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/carmelo...in-works-092410

Done deal, Melo agrees to an extension and trade to the Nets.

ESPN is still not saying it's done, they're using the phrase "advanced discussions" several hours after your post.

If the Netropolitans actually do this deal...anyone think they wind up as anything other than the late-Garnett-year TWolves? One big scorer who wins enough games that the team never drafts in the top 10.

Brook Lopez

Carmelo Anthony

Presumably Troy Murphy is the PF

DJ Augustin and Jordan Farmar at the point

Terrence Williams and Anthony Morrow at SG.

The Nets, if the deal gets finalized, could roll out a front line of Anthony, power forward Troy Murphy and center Brook Lopez.

Is this really exciting? I mean, why would Anthony want to leave the Nuggets for this when he can stay one more year and then choose wherever he wanted to go?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Is this really exciting? I mean, why would Anthony want to leave the Nuggets for this when he can stay one more year and then choose wherever he wanted to go?

Get extension before the new CBA negotiations. The Lockout will start on the day of the opening of FA next year.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
If it turns out true that we passed on Melo to keep Noah, entire front office should be fired.

I still don't think an offer of Deng + Noah is anywhere near as good as an offer of Favors + Kirilenko + Golden State's 1-7 protected draft pick with AK's expiring contract.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 24, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)

He's out of his mind if that's true.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
I still don't think an offer of Deng + Noah is anywhere near as good as an offer of Favors + Kirilenko + Golden State's 1-7 protected draft pick with AK's expiring contract.

It is if Melo refuses to sign there and as long as the Nugs aren't stubborn enough to just keep him if he won't go to the Nets

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
It is if Melo refuses to sign there and as long as the Nugs aren't stubborn enough to just keep him if he won't go to the Nets

Well obviously that plays in to it...but quite simply, if I'm the Nuggets and I'm sitting there looking at Deng + Noah + a late first round pick, and comparing it to AK47's expiring contract + Favors + Golden State's late-Lottery pick and I get to choose which one I take because Melo would accept either...I take the Nets offer. Wouldn't you?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Well obviously that plays in to it...but quite simply, if I'm the Nuggets and I'm sitting there looking at Deng + Noah + a late first round pick, and comparing it to AK47's expiring contract + Favors + Golden State's late-Lottery pick and I get to choose which one I take because Melo would accept either...I take the Nets offer. Wouldn't you?

Yes...but why the hell would Melo? Is he dying to win 45 games next year?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
Yes...but why the hell would Melo? Is he dying to win 45 games next year?

I haven't a clue. Like I said above, that's no where near a championship roster, and it's likely to be trapped in that 7-10 range in the conference every year where it has no chance at a high lottery pick, cap space, or help.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
I haven't a clue. Like I said above, that's no where near a championship roster, and it's likely to be trapped in that 7-10 range in the conference every year where it has no chance at a high lottery pick, cap space, or help.

Playing in the biggest media market in the country does that to some people. Ask Amare Stoudemire why he went to the Knicks.