NBA Offseason Thread

I can't be the only one thinking about the Miguel Cabrera sweepstakes and how our hearts were ripped from our chests at the very last second

I see that happening w/ the James sweepstakes, I voted for Chicago but that's just because I want him to play for the Bulls

We'll have our hopes so high until the very last second when the balloon gets popped and the nation laughs at Chicago as if they never were a realistic option

;(

QUOTE (Real @ May 20, 2010 -> 02:11 AM)
I can't be the only one thinking about the Miguel Cabrera sweepstakes and how our hearts were ripped from our chests at the very last second

I see that happening w/ the James sweepstakes, I voted for Chicago but that's just because I want him to play for the Bulls

We'll have our hopes so high until the very last second when the balloon gets popped and the nation laughs at Chicago as if they never were a realistic option

;(

The reason I feel different is before the season, I figured LeBron would stay or go to NJ/LAC. Then, Noah became a monster, Taj became a good player, and LeBron seems to love the Bulls roster.

I didn't think it was a legitimate possibility to get LeBron until they were eliminated though.

QUOTE (Real @ May 20, 2010 -> 02:11 AM)

;(

The main difference here is that LeBron controls his destination, and Miguel Cabrera was traded to Detroit. I understand we can have our hearts stomped on here, but the Bulls have a little more control in this matter than the White Sox did.

Mark Cuban is being looked at very closely right now because of comments he made about Lebron, tampering is being discussed.

That guy is seriously his own worst enemy. All he does is talk himself into trouble

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 21, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
Mark Cuban is being looked at very closely right now because of comments he made about Lebron, tampering is being discussed.

That guy is seriously his own worst enemy. All he does is talk himself into trouble

I'd still guess that about 80% of the time there's method to his madness.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
I'd still guess that about 80% of the time there's method to his madness.

I dont think he is necessarily crazy, but he is so rich that he just pays the fines and moves on. But tampering with Lebron at this point seems to be a bad PR move by him, one that might possibly scare off Lebron(if he was ever truly in play for Cuban).

Obama takes time off of his busy schedule of covering up for BP to comment on LBJ.

"You know, like I said, I don't want to meddle," Obama told TNT. "I will say this: [Derrick] Rose, Joakim Noah it's a pretty good core. You know, you could see LeBron fitting in pretty well there."

"I think that the most important thing for LeBron right now is actually to find a structure where he's got a coach that he respects and is working hard with teammates who care about him and if that's in Cleveland, then he should stay in Cleveland," Obama said. "If he doesn't feel like he can get it there, then someplace else."

Obama compared James' situation to the Bulls not winning until Michael Jordan had confidence in Phil Jackson, Scottie Pippen and the rest of his teammates. Once that happened, Chicago won six NBA championships in the 1990s.

"It wasn't until you got that framework around you that you could be a champion," Obama said. "Same thing happened with Kobe [bryant]. You know, I think that, first with Shaq [O'Neal] then later with [Pau] Gasol, you know, he's gotten that sense of a team around him and I think LeBron hasn't quite been able to get that yet. That's what he needs to find."

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 23, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
Stays with the Cavs but won't take a max deal (length-wise). 2 or 3 year deal. Bulls should wait for Carmello (next summer, I believe). I'd actually like that a lot. Yao Ming might just wind up being the low-risk high reward big guy this team has been missing since Mugsy, I mean, Curry/Wallace.

Um, waiting for Carmello wold be bad because not only does it ask fans to wait another season, but Noah will be due for a pay raise, and then they won't be able to go over the cap to keep him.

It's hit a homer this offseason or strike out. Simple as that.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
Dirk's opting out now also FWIW.

Would Bulls fans rather have Dirk instead of Bosh to join Lebron?

If I could get him for cheaper (still via sign-and-trade however), I'd think about it, as he isn't showing signs of slowing down and provides a good 3pt threat.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
Dirk's opting out now also FWIW.

Would Bulls fans rather have Dirk instead of Bosh to join Lebron?

I'd much rather have Bosh. I wouldn't be opposed to Dirk but only if Lebron is with him. I don't want Dirk as the only free agent. That puts you in 4th place purgatory area if you ask me. I'd rather wait and see what comes available if thats the only option.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
Give me Dirk over Bosh any day if you're adding LeBron, as Dirk's a much better shooter.

I agree with you completely. In all honesty, it's a tougher question to answer when you think about it. Long term, I'll take Bosh cause of the youth and other areas, but I think Dirk fits much better next to Rose and LeBron, even for only a 2-3 year stint cause of age. For me it is Dirk no question.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 24, 2010 -> 02:28 AM)
I agree with you completely. In all honesty, it's a tougher question to answer when you think about it. Long term, I'll take Bosh cause of the youth and other areas, but I think Dirk fits much better next to Rose and LeBron, even for only a 2-3 year stint cause of age. For me it is Dirk no question.

The Bulls would be a nightmare to defend if you had those 3, especially if you could add Anderson or Henry in the draft.

That being said, I agree with Ace in that Bosh is better long term, but until Dirk shows signs of slowing down, I'd take him easily.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2010 -> 07:53 AM)
Dirk's max contract value is much, much higher than Bosh's.

If Dirk is opting out at this point you have to assume he is willing to take less money to go to a place he can win a title. It wouldn't shock me if he ended up in MLE territory to sign with a team that signs big time FAs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
If Dirk is opting out at this point you have to assume he is willing to take less money to go to a place he can win a title. It wouldn't shock me if he ended up in MLE territory to sign with a team that signs big time FAs.

No offense, but you're sniffin' glue if you think Dirk is playin' for anything in the vicinity of the MLE.