Make a deal with Angels?

JPN366

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
He said he doesn't want to stay where he isn't wanted, and he wouldn't block a trade. I never remember him saying he didn't want to be here. There is a big difference there.

This is what I've heard. It's not that he doesn't want to be here but knows the Sox won't re-sign him.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox are likely not going to catch the Twins.

The Angels have always liked Konerko.

He's a perfect solution for the rest of this year, with no commitment beyond.

L.A. is one destination that Paulie would approve.

He likely won't be resigned.

The Sox would probably not want to offer arbitration, so they'd lose their draft pick compensation.

This would be an opportunity to get something worthwhile for Konerko.

The Sox could play Kotsay at 1st. Who cares? Ozzie will be thrilled to have his "kid" in the lineup everyday. (what a joke)

If the Angels have a good left handed hitting prospect with whom they would be willing to part, please get him.

I don't care what position he plays.

Forget Trumbo. Not that the Angels would be willing to trade him, in the first place. However, even if they would, he's another right handed hitter. The Sox need a left handed power bat. I keep repeating myself, because no one here seems to remember that. We do not have one single left handed power hitter in the entire organization.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
There's a significant difference between treading water without your best player and playing Robb Quinlan every-day at 1b. I think the Angels realize that their best option is to go out of house. Now, this could mean Paulie, A-Gone, Adam Dunn, whatever. They're not burdened with an over-abundance of choice in the matter.

They're below .500 with Kendry. They're not going to get any better with a worse 1B in Konerko. And you're right. They look stuck between a rock and a hard place. If we lose Alex Rios, does Kenny bend over and let another GM fist-f*** him? I'd hope not.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
They're below .500 with Kendry. They're not going to get any better with a worse 1B in Konerko. And you're right. They look stuck between a rock and a hard place. If we lose Alex Rios, does Kenny bend over and let another GM fist-f*** him? I'd hope not.

I don't think they're going to let themselves get... fistf***ed :notworthy , they're better off for now seeing if they can bring in someone like Dye or Delgado to get a cheap, burst of production, but i can see them willing to make a deal if the White Sox aren't shooting for the stars. Paulie's an expiring contract, it's not like they're looking at a long-term move.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
That's cute and all. And if PK is willing to come back at a significantly reduced contract over a couple years, I'd love to have him back. If he wants to get paid like it's 2006, see ya!

Agreed 100%. No one loves Konerko more than me, but this is a business and unless he is willing to sign something like a 3 year 21 million dollar contract, he's not worth bringing back.

And even if we do trade him, that doesn't rule out bringing him back in the offseason as a FA. But we gotta do whatever is best for the club.

And the same goes for Buehrle to.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 30, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
They just lost their best offensive player for I'm guessing at least 3 months, maybe the whole year. They play in what is probably the weakest division in baseball, the division and a playoff run are in their sights, Rob Quinlan is not going to get it done at first base.

They need to make a move here, is it reactionary? Absolutely, but that's what you do when s*** happens, you react to it. I just don't see any way that they can secure the division without their best hitter, their offense is lacking bite this year even with Morales. Without him they become overly reliant on a pitching staff that probably isn't up to the task at this point.

I read that they'll actually move Brandon Wood there to give him a shot first.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 30, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
I read that they'll actually move Brandon Wood there to give him a shot first.

That won't last long cause Brandon Wood is a terrible MLB hitter. They should have traded him back in 2007 when he still had some value.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 30, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
i'd still take Wood in a package with a decent arm or two. He's making his best Josh Fields impression, but i'd still play him over Teahen and see what happens.

The guy's out of options too, so it's not like we can send him down to the minors.

You know well what would happen. He'd suck for 3 weeks, have no motivation, Ozzie would hate him, and Omar Vizquel would become a regular starting 3b.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
Forget about Dye. He hasn't had a competitive AB in pretty much eight months now.

He will catch on somewhere this year. And I could see different scenarios where it is with the Sox.

Remember when Andruw Jones' career was over. David Ortiz' career has been over a couple times the past 2 years and then also his career is not over.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
Agreed 100%. No one loves Konerko more than me, but this is a business and unless he is willing to sign something like a 3 year 21 million dollar contract, he's not worth bringing back.

And even if we do trade him, that doesn't rule out bringing him back in the offseason as a FA. But we gotta do whatever is best for the club.

And the same goes for Buehrle to.

3 years for Konerko? Hell no.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ May 30, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
He will catch on somewhere this year. And I could see different scenarios where it is with the Sox.

Remember when Andruw Jones' career was over. David Ortiz' career has been over a couple times the past 2 years and then also his career is not over.

A team that needs Dye isn't going to be able to wait a month for him to start swinging a bat again.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 30, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
If the Angels have a good left handed hitting prospect with whom they would be willing to part, please get him.

I don't care what position he plays.

21 year old 2B Alexi Amarista. His line on the year in High-A: .350/.389/.503.

If Konerko requires roughly a two year / twenty million dollar deal to return; there won't be more than a handfull of first basemen that I wouldn't rather have.

Do I think he will be back? Yes.

Should he be back at anywhere near that price? No.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 30, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
If Konerko requires roughly a two year / twenty million dollar deal to return; there won't be more than a handfull of first basemen that I wouldn't rather have.

Do I think he will be back? Yes.

Should he be back at anywhere near that price? No.

I have difficulty seeing any team actually offering him that money, unless he winds up with 45 HR this year.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 30, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Another thought: If the Angels would like one of our closers, we could give them one plus Paulie, and maybe get one of the better prospects.

Lets not wave the white flag just as this team is starting to play well. We will win the division. We will win the ALCS. And we will win the WS.

Boy I'm glad you're not the GM.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 30, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Lets not wave the white flag just as this team is starting to play well. We will win the division. We will win the ALCS. And we will win the WS.

Boy I'm glad you're not the GM.

You know, that's what I thought before the season started. Unfortunately, watching this team play the first two months of the season has changed my mind.