Legit way to get MLB.tv

Wasn't quite sure on the appropriate section for this thread, but hopefully a mod can help move it if needed.....but I digress...

So basically what you do is you get on your PS3, go to PSN store, and download the MLB.tv app. After you download and install it, it should give you a 5 character code. It then tells you to go to a website, something like "www.mlbtv.com/ps3" or something like that. Once you do, it has you log into your mlb.tv account and then enter the 5 digit code. Once this is done, your PS3 is LINKED to the account, and thus you have mlb.tv on your ps3! The beauty is that you don't have to actually ever sign in or log in to it on your ps3, so if you have a friend (or anyone really) who will go to that website and put in the 5 character code, it will allow you to have mlb.tv on your ps3 without them ever having to tell you their password or login.

I learned this today when my friend came over and downloaded the app on my ps3 and then logged in. We realized then that I basically have a free mlb.tv subscription on my ps3 without having to know his password because I never have to log in w/ it. And after I let him watch the Dbacks game at my house (snapped their 10 game losing streak FYI, so I must be good luck) I got to play around w/ it. It's AWESOME. I can watch any archived game this whole season for any team, and just like DVR or TiVO, I can fast forward to any inning, and it has a virtual boxscore, and even while watching live games I can pause them and resume the game later. It's very, very cool. Being that I live local to my favorite team, I don't have a huge need for it, but it was fun going back and watching the final innings of the Halladay and Gallarraga* perfect games too as well as Buehrle's insane glove flip play. Also, it will be nice to be able to watch big moments of other teams live, or for instance, watch Strasburg's MLB debut next week.

Anyway, it's a sweet little trick we figured out. Not sure what will happen if we both log on at the same time, as we have not tested out all the scenarios yet, but in the meantime, I am pretty damn happy.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 01:52 AM)
Won't you lose access to it once he logs into mlb.tv on his PS3?

That's what we are going to find out once he logs on w/ his Ps3. But I figured, if that was the case, why would it allow him to register an additional PS3 to his account in the first place? I wonder if mlb.tv allows you a certain number a ps3 that you can link it to. Like how Norton Antivirus for instance allows you to install it on 3 computers, i wonder if they allow 2 or 3 Ps3 to be linked incase people (like me for instance) have multiple ps3 systems.

Are there blackout restrictions on MLB tv?

I live close enough to The Cell to get blacked out on MLB Extra Innings (they also blackout the Cubs, Cards and Brewers) but not close enough to get WCIU.

Does anyone know if I will be able to watch the Sox live on WCIU via MLB.TV?

TIA

I share mlb.TV with my brother, and we watch games at the same time all the time; from different physical locations. Have done so for the past 4 years. As far as linking different PS3s, IDK, but with just computers we've never had a problem being logged in at the same time.

I have a Roku player, basically a streaming video cable box type thing that I watch mlb.TV on on my TV. It's great and functions similar to the PS3 app as far as accessing/watching games. If I had known the PS3 was going to get MLB.TV I probably would have held out and bought one of those instead, but the Roku does it's job well.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)

I live close enough to The Cell to get blacked out on MLB Extra Innings (they also blackout the Cubs, Cards and Brewers) but not close enough to get WCIU.

TIA

You will be blacked out.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)

TIA

Yes, you will get blacked out, but all the Sox/Cubs games are still archived 90 minutes after the game ends, so if it's a day game, you can come home from work and watch it in it's full glory.

you can access mlb.tv with more than one user, the thing is there is a maximum allowable mlb.tv logins per day by different ip addresses. I ran into this when i shared my last mlb.tv account with 5 other people and i got an error message stating that ive tried to login too many times.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
you can access mlb.tv with more than one user, the thing is there is a maximum allowable mlb.tv logins per day by different ip addresses. I ran into this when i shared my last mlb.tv account with 5 other people and i got an error message stating that ive tried to login too many times.

But the idea is that you can watch these games in HD on your TV (instead of computer), and someone can allow you to share w/o ever having to actually tell you the password or login. Complete strangers won't have to worry about someone jacking their account.

And I don't know that it actually registers as a normal "log in" when I use it on my PS3 because I never have to actually "log in" i just click the app and it plays.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
But the idea is that you can watch these games in HD on your TV (instead of computer), and someone can allow you to share w/o ever having to actually tell you the password or login. Complete strangers won't have to worry about someone jacking their account.

And I don't know that it actually registers as a normal "log in" when I use it on my PS3 because I never have to actually "log in" i just click the app and it plays.

i understand how it works, its pretty much just like netflix on ur ps3, u login once and u never have to "manually" do it again because your account info is synced with your console from that point on. I believe it does count as a login technically because if there was no login process then how would the system recognize you as a valid mlb.tv member?

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
i understand how it works, its pretty much just like netflix on ur ps3, u login once and u never have to "manually" do it again because your account info is synced with your console from that point on. I believe it does count as a login technically because if there was no login process then how would the system recognize you as a valid mlb.tv member?

I am not saying I am not being automatically logged in every time I click the app, but I am saying I don't know if it registers it as a log in in accordance to their set amount of log-ins per day.