Day 2 Draft thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
This is a concern about the draft at large. We filled a middle infield need, a pitching need, but not the left-handed pitching need which is a pretty dramatic problem in our organization. When Randy Williams and Wes Whistler are literally our best options, something's gotta give.

But obviously the Sox didn't believe anyone in the top 6-7 rounds, outside of Sale, fit what they were looking for from the left side. As someone just pointed out, it's all a matter of luck now anyways.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
But obviously the Sox didn't believe anyone in the top 6-7 rounds, outside of Sale, fit what they were looking for from the left side. As someone just pointed out, it's all a matter of luck now anyways.

So, take one of the many lefty arms out there and hope you luck out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)

If they're just going to get to A ball and suck, does it matter if they throw righty or lefty? We took one of the two best lefty starters in this draft...that's good enough with me.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
This is a concern about the draft at large. We filled a middle infield need, a pitching need, but not the left-handed pitching need which is a pretty dramatic problem in our organization. When Randy Williams and Wes Whistler are literally our best options, something's gotta give.

The answer to that isn't to start spending picks around the 15th round on LHP like crazy. The answer to that winds up being to pick people around the 15th round who develop; whatever position they actually play. You pull off a couple of low draft picks who actually succeed, and suddenly you're a lot more free to spend money to fill other holes that crop up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
The answer to that isn't to start spending picks around the 15th round on LHP like crazy. The answer to that winds up being to pick people around the 15th round who develop; whatever position they actually play. You pull off a couple of low draft picks who actually succeed, and suddenly you're a lot more free to spend money to fill other holes that crop up.

How much of a difference in the later rounds is there between arms? A gamble on a left-hander is just as likely to pay off as one on a RHP. Then again, i wouldn't want to miss out Doug Murray or Tyler Jones.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
How much of a difference in the later rounds is there between arms?

Now, that's a question to ask your scouts. Presumably, the guys getting drafted at these levels by each team are guys that the team's scouts gave positive reviews to. It's entirely possible that they just wound up liking the RHP more than the LHP at these levels, or that the LHP that they did like have been taken by other teams, so they're not going to reach for LHP just because of the arm.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
The red sox have a deep system because they spend money on the draft. When we figure that out, we will replenish our system and become a force again. Our division is figuring this out. Maybe at some point someone in our organization will as well.

We all know the Sox operate on a given budget and this won't change.

The dilemma is that if you add money to the draft budget you need to take it fom elsewhere. Do you take 6 million off the MLB salary budget?

Personally I would but then you will hear the complaints about not spending money on the MLB team.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
We all know the Sox operate on a given budget and this won't change.

The dilemma is that if you add money to the draft budget you need to take it fom elsewhere. Do you take 6 million off the MLB salary budget?

Personally I would but then you will hear the complaints about not spending money on the MLB team.

I think it is time to do exactly that. Take AJ's salary when it comes off the books and roll it into the development budget. Especially if we are picking closer to the top as I think we all expect to be next season.

Those people that complain then turn around and complain about the lack of talent in the farm and lack of winning on the ML level, sometimes you have to tear things down to build them back up and you are not going to keep everyone happy.

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)

For every Mark Buehrle, there is a Brandon McCarthy. Wait...Buehrle is/was better than McCarthy. You're right, draft some more lefties, damnit!

But seriously, I don't think their looking at Lefty/Righty late in the game, just best talent on their boards.

I am surprised at the low amount of OFs though. You would think there are more out there but I guess we plan on putting Ozney and Kenny Jr out there with a platoon of Jared Mitchell and Jordan Danks in center with Pierre as a 5th OF/ player/mentor/coach or whatever Vizquel is now.

Last three WS picks....from FutureSox.com - WE DRAFTED LEFTYS!!!

26 (788): Kevin Rath, LHP, Cal State Fullerton

Big lefty (6'5", 220) that says he models his game after Mark Buehrle. 4.50 ERA with 21 K and 26 BB in 30 innings this year as a junior. Made five starts and 14 appearances out of the pen.

27 (818): Pete Gehle, LHP, Asuza Pacific

6'6", 240 pound senior (Noticing a trend with the height?). 7-4, 5.60 ERA, 86 K, 23 BB in 82 IP this year for the NAIA power.

28 (848): Thomas Windle, LHP, Osseo HS (MN)

Ranked as No. 191 high school draft prospect in the country by baseballdraftreport.com. Has a commitment to Minnesota.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
oh, just another catcher...Jose Ramos

Chase still isn't worried ...he's just waiting to see what happens ..no need in worrying himself over something he can't control!! He's just happy to be there.