The Official Stephen Strasburg needs Tommy John Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
seriously...what else could be done?

I really believe it all starts at 10-11 years old, when kids are being pushed and lurred onto travel teams. It seems like a great idea at the time, but when your starting your pitching career at 10, by the time you are 22, you already have 12 years of toll on an arm that only developed maybe half-way through that span. Mechanics play a role, but I think it's more about how much an arm can take, because regardless of how you throw a baseball, it's hard.

Not to make a small example be the start and end of my theory, but look at Mark Buehrle. Didn't start pitching heavily till high school. An arm is like a car, miles are miles.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Damn.. many saw it comming. I was shocked to hear it, but I wasn't surprised. Huge blow for the Nats and for baseball. I thought it was more the elbow than the forearm when I saw that pitch.

As ptatc pointed out before, Strasburg's mechanics are much worse than Sales.

I hope for his sake, he still regains that velocity back after Tommy John. Not EVERY pitcher does.

Sale's mechanics are better. But I think for his sake, he should stay in the bullpen for now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
His hard breaker looks just like Kerry's did, and I assume the pressure put on the elbow is the same as well. I foresee a Dr Andrews visit in his future.

Wow, I didnt even remember saying this. Good point it is eerie.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
Sucks for this guy but seriously, how many of us called this? You could tell immediately the guys elbow was going to blow up.

Hell, people were suggesting this back in 2009 when Boras was asking for $50 million.

In the wake of controversial comments Rob Dibble made about Stephen Strasburg, the Nationals announced today Dibble will no longer broadcast their games. The separation will be permanent, and the Nationals -- not MASN -- made the decision. The Nationals offered no further comment on the matter.

There is no word on a permanent replacement for MASN, but Ray Knight will serve as the analyst at least through the end of the Nationals' current road trip. He may finish the season out, but the Nationals may also try out new analysts in the season's final month.

Dibble, who became MASN's analyst at the beginning of last season, has not broadcast a Nationals since Aug. 25. At the time, Nationals President Stan Kasten told the Post that Dibble volunteered to take a leave.

"Rob asked for some time off," Kasten said at the time. "Perhaps he's not feeling well. But I'm not a doctor, nor have I seen his records. So I shouldn't say anything more about it."

Link

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
I honestly can't say that I'm surprised by this.

His Nintendo-style pitching reminded me of pre-injury Kerry Wood. The total amount of stress he put on his elbow must have been immense.

So when does Chapman's elbow explode throwing 104?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
Regardless of mechanics, 104 stretches the boundaries of human ability.

110 is the limit I think. Once he starts, there's no way he will throw that fast. Just like Sale won't throw 99 as a starter.

I dont have any statistical data to back it up, but it seems to me like left handed pitchers are able to maintain throwing at high speeds for a lot longer than right handed pitchers. Maybe it is the 3/4 slinging style that many of them have, but you look at guys like Thornton who just looks like he is playing regular catch and the ball just explodes out of his hand

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
I dont have any statistical data to back it up, but it seems to me like left handed pitchers are able to maintain throwing at high speeds for a lot longer than right handed pitchers. Maybe it is the 3/4 slinging style that many of them have, but you look at guys like Thornton who just looks like he is playing regular catch and the ball just explodes out of his hand

The Big Unit never slowed down.