The Official Stephen Strasburg needs Tommy John Thread

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
ESPN is acting like Stras is going to have to undergo Tommy John due to this injury. Basically stating that anyone that has this problem ultimately will need Tommy John in the very near future.

yeah they are saying it is his elbow and not his forearm.

One has to wonder if Stras came in all amped up and is just throwing everything max effort. Eventually the arm will give out if your mechanics are as bad as they say Strasburgs mechanics are

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
One has to wonder if Stras came in all amped up and is just throwing everything max effort. Eventually the arm will give out if your mechanics are as bad as they say Strasburgs mechanics are

I don't think that could possibly be it. His velocity was down a little bit from where he was reported at SD State even.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 07:19 AM)
He wasn't regularly punching 102 was he? His average fastball has been 97.5. That's a great fastball, but it's not 100+.

He didn't average 100+ at SDSU either. He had ocassionally hit it, but college and minor leage guns, and even guns around the league tend to all be different by a few ticks. Stras also pitched on longer rest in college too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
He didn't average 100+ at SDSU either. He had ocassionally hit it, but college and minor leage guns, and even guns around the league tend to all be different by a few ticks. Stras also pitched on longer rest in college too.

But...are there any data that would make you argue that Stras has actually been going more all-out-effort on his fastball this year? Maybe his fastball isn't down this year (i think it is a bit but that's arguable)...but it's not like he was throwing 94-95 on easy-toss last year and pushed it to 97.5 once he got to the bigs by upping the effort.

This is why I just couldnt get hyped up for this kid. Even watching him pitch in college and all the talk about how great he is I had to temper any of my excitement. What good is it to have one of the fastest ,effecient, and powerful engines on a car when the wheel alignement is f***ed up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:28 AM)
But...are there any data that would make you argue that Stras has actually been going more all-out-effort on his fastball this year? Maybe his fastball isn't down this year (i think it is a bit but that's arguable)...but it's not like he was throwing 94-95 on easy-toss last year and pushed it to 97.5 once he got to the bigs by upping the effort.

It isn't necessarily the fastball. It might be in the high pressure situations he's throwing an extra snappy breaking ball, etc. A lot of factors and it definitely makes a difference when your in a high stress/tension situation vs a low pressure situation. How much Stras is doing that with all of the camera and lights on him, I have no idea.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
I wonder if GM Jizzo wishes he had a replacement stud like edwin jackson in rotation going into next year.

Any chance of competing next year is gone as Dunn isn't going to hang around....that is a move that is making KW look like a genius as Jackson is doing much more than Dunn would do.

If Peavy can get healthy that staff has MB or Peavy as the number 5 and can move Danks if he won't sign an extension......Sale is also in the mix.

The thing is, as advanced and successful that Tommy John surgery has become, he can still come back in 2012 and live up to all the hype and more. Look at the list of the guys that have had it and come back:

Carpenter, J. Soria, Josh Johnson, Tim Hudson, R. Soriano, Arthur Rhodes, Billy Wagner

Plus, look how good he pitched with the injured arm, imagine it healthy!

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
If Peavy can get healthy that staff has MB or Peavy as the number 5 and can move Danks if he won't sign an extension......Sale is also in the mix.

Right now I really like the options with our starting rotation next year. Could be one of the best we've seen on the south side.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
Any chance of competing next year is gone as Dunn isn't going to hang around....that is a move that is making KW look like a genius as Jackson is doing much more than Dunn would do.

I have a feeling they'll wait to Cliff Lee signs, make a strong last effort to re-sign Danks and if he doesn't move him to one of the teams that were in the Lee sweepstakes, even offering an extension window. (not saying Danks = Lee, but he would be a pretty nice 2nd place prize). If Danks can sign they'll move Jackson or Floyd

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
The thing is, as advanced and successful that Tommy John surgery has become, he can still come back in 2012 and live up to all the hype and more. Look at the list of the guys that have had it and come back:

Carpenter, J. Soria, Josh Johnson, Tim Hudson, R. Soriano, Arthur Rhodes, Billy Wagner

Plus, look how good he pitched with the injured arm, imagine it healthy!

The problems you can also make a list of pitchers who were never the same. It's a complete unknown.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
I have a feeling they'll wait to Cliff Lee signs, make a strong last effort to re-sign Danks and if he doesn't move him to one of the teams that were in the Lee sweepstakes, even offering an extension window. (not saying Danks = Lee, but he would be a pretty nice 2nd place prize). If Danks can sign they'll move Jackson or Floyd

I personally would go with the big five. Now that is a big five.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
The problems you can also make a list of pitchers who were never the same. It's a complete unknown.

Very true. I wasn't trying to say that he is guaranteed to come back a star, but its possible that he comes back just as good or better.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
I personally would go with the big five. Now that is a big five.

I agree, depends how the White Sox want to handle the roster for next year, it's not a bad position to be in if everything holds true though, that's a hell of a starting 5 to come back or a valuable trade chip if you want to move any of those 3.

and so I stay on topic here... sucks as a baseball fan to see news like this, but as others have said, not surprising... young pitchers are such a crap-shoot. Hopefully the guy bounces back strong.

Edited by SoxFan562004