The Official Stephen Strasburg needs Tommy John Thread

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
But not a surprise to a lot of baseball people. Could have called it before he even pitched one major league game and not even just for the sake of being the pessimist.

Even Steve Phillips saw it coming, LOL.

He's going to have to alter his delivery somehow.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
Even Steve Phillips saw it coming, LOL.

LOL, hey even a blind squirrel... but really, there will be a few people in the media who can say they saw this coming, there was an outlet or two during the draft yelling about his mechanics...

I think owners really push a draft salary cap/slot next time CBA is negotiated, and when agents go to the Nats and they say "sorry, we have a lot of money in Bryce and Stras can't afford that vet" the union may join.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
LOL, hey even a blind squirrel... but really, there will be a few people in the media who can say they saw this coming, there was an outlet or two during the draft yelling about his mechanics...

I think owners really push a draft salary cap/slot next time CBA is negotiated, and when agents go to the Nats and they say "sorry, we have a lot of money in Bryce and Stras can't afford that vet" the union may join.

I just hope Chris Sale lasts a lot longer than Strasburg.

Sale's mechanics aren't pretty either.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
Karma is hitting Mike Rizzo right about now.

no kidding, even if Dunn leaves he has to ask the owner to open his checkbook for the compensation picks, obviously won't be Harper/Stras money, but will still be decent money for guys right out of college or HS when he could have had prospects they had a chance to scout in pro ball and not pay bonuses too (I am assuming when you trade for a high prospect you don't pay a chunk of their signing bonus)

Edit: Added "pro ball" to chance to scout since obviously they would scout guys in the draft

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)

legit point with him, but young pitchers are a crap shoot, there are guys who can last a lot longer with bad mechanics than others

legit point with him, but young pitchers are a crap shoot, there are guys who can last a lot longer with bad mechanics than others

Peavy has lasted almost 8 years now with the M mechanics and has not had any major elbow issues. Some shoulder but no major elbow ones. As you say some can last longer than others.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
Peavy has lasted almost 8 years now with the M mechanics and has not had any major elbow issues. Some shoulder but no major elbow ones. As you say some can last longer than others.

Peavy has an inverted L, but he had issues long before this recent injury.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
Plus, look how good he pitched with the injured arm, imagine it healthy!

The Nats examined the Hell out of his arm before they signed him. I really think he was probably healthy almost right up until the point that he snapped it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
The Nats examined the Hell out of his arm before they signed him. I really think he was probably healthy almost right up until the point that he snapped it.

Does that ligament just snap like that as a freak occurence similarily to Peavy's muscle? Or is it from wear and tear that builds up over time until it can't handle anymore? I always thought the Tommy John injuries don't just suddenly happen, they more come to fruition over time as the elbow/shoulder weakens, but I don't know if thats right or not.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)

Sale's mechanics and Strasburg's are very similar. In that article you posted the link for they mention a "timing issue." Project Prospect has noticed the a similar timing issue with Sale's mechanics.

This is why I'm on the "Sell high on Sale" bandwagon. When Kenny thinks Sale is at his highest value before he gets injured, he should trade him. There will be some GM who will not learn from Prior/Strasburg. I said when Strasburg was drafted that his elbow would explode or his shoulder would tear within the first two years of starting. I expect the same from Sale. They have to trade him when they can get the most for him, before his elbow/shoulder gets injured. IMO, unless Kenny is stupid, Sale was drafted to be traded next deadline for a big acquisition.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)

This is the downside of trading Sale. If Sale by some freak occurence stays healthy for about 4-5 seasons before he gets injured, the Sox are going to look bad in their trade. However, the guys with the inverted W delivery are a ticking time bomb, and for Kenny to maximize Sale's value, he has to trade him at just the right time. If they want to keep him they have to send him to rookie ball and give him a mechanics overhaul, which will probably give him a fastball somwhere between Buehrle's and Danks's, after which Sale would have to learn how to pitch like Buehrle.

Edited by Elgin Slim

Damn.. many saw it comming. I was shocked to hear it, but I wasn't surprised. Huge blow for the Nats and for baseball. I thought it was more the elbow than the forearm when I saw that pitch.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)

As ptatc pointed out before, Strasburg's mechanics are much worse than Sales.

I hope for his sake, he still regains that velocity back after Tommy John. Not EVERY pitcher does.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
I hope for his sake, he still regains that velocity back after Tommy John. Not EVERY pitcher does.

With the offspeed stuff and control he had...if he came back throwing 91-93 but kept the offspeed pitch control and movement, he'd still be a very effective pitcher.