¡Viva la Revolución!

Heads22

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
I think it was ridiculous of Ozzie to sit both Rios and PK on the same day and putting out the lineup he did. They have an off day on Monday and could have DH'd PK or Rios on the upcoming homestand if they needed a breather so badly. He could have sat one today and one tomorrow. I also think Viciedo should have started. He is a big bat that could have helped score more runs. I know that a win is a win and I am proud that they won, but Ozzie put out a horrible lineup when he didn't have to. The fact that they won was a miracle outing by Peavy. 8 out of 10 times that lineup loses. I think that is horrible managing.

My point has been, how do we know Viciedo would have made it a better offensive lineup? He may be totally overmatched early on. Didn't Beckham start out something like 2 for 40? We know it would have made them worse off defensively than Vizquel. Let Dayan play when your offense is at full go and it's easier to overcome defensive deficiencies and if he hits, all it does is add another threat.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point has been, how do we know Viciedo would have made it a better offensive lineup? He may be totally overmatched early on. Didn't Beckham start out something like 2 for 40? We know it would have made them worse off defensively than Vizquel. Let Dayan play when your offense is at full go and it's easier to overcome defensive deficiencies and if he hits, all it does is add another threat.

I think a balanced approach to letting Dayan ease in is much better. As was said in many posts, you ideally want to have one of your 2 highest OBP bats in the lineup at all times. There are plenty of ways to put together a line up with either Viciedo at 3rd, 1st, or DH. That way you can give him 5-6 games exposure out of every 7 games. For example with Teahan hurt his bat may be better and his glove well... Teahan wasn´t exactly going to win a Gold Glove.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 03:43 AM)

Well, how do we know if he would or wouldn't make the offense better unless we play him. There was no reason why he couldn't play first yesterday. I got the feeling that Ozzie is only gonna give him a couple days at third a week, and thats it. If thats the case then he shouldn't even be here, he should be getting at-bats everyday in the minors.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
The Nats have a guy at first base that I've wanted for a long time now. Seemingly a good fit for the DH spot, it would seem.

Don't forget that our GM was traveling with the team on this trip... We could be thinking back to this weekend at a later date.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
Don't forget that our GM was traveling with the team on this trip... We could be thinking back to this weekend at a later date.

Maybe he's just looking over his manager's shoulder to keep his mouth shut.

Exactly, another point is this: Even though our 4 and 5 game winning streak has been against cellar dwellers or weak NL team why would you risk blowing it with the B team substitutions? This is the best fighting chance we have had to build up some confidence,granted we got the win but you always go with your best lineup.

All I know is it is really stupid to complain after a victory. This is why these managers/coaches in sports get paid the big bucks.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
Not a Chappelle Show fan or what?

Just because I didn't want to let this slide, this is a bogus, loaded argument. I could nickname Viciedo "Booger" and if people didn't like it, all I'd have to say is "what, you didn't like Revenge of the Nerds!"

It's a bad nickname because it's a bad nickname, not because we don't like Chapelle's Show

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
Just because I didn't want to let this slide, this is a bogus, loaded argument. I could nickname Viciedo "Booger" and if people didn't like it, all I'd have to say is "what, you didn't like Revenge of the Nerds!"

It's a bad nickname because it's a bad nickname, not because we don't like Chapelle's Show

How does Booger relate to his name?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Well, you can not like the nickname, but you can't deny that it makes sense.

I can tell you like it. But IMO the odds of it catching on are about the same as Lloyd Christmas had hooking up with Mary Swanson.

I was at the game, and though I was watching from the side, thought he looked very good. He smoked a line drive into right center that Nyjer Morgan ran down on a very fine play. Then he crushed a line single his second time up for an RBI. He grounded into a DP his third time up with the bases loaded. That was a missed oppty, but it added a run. He was out his fourth time, then gave way to Vizquel in the 8th defensively. He also started the only Sox DP on the day.

A fine beginning, showed some power in his bat.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
I just watched the video of his hit (I was out all day) and his base hit was a hard line drive, like VAfan said. He has a monster swing.

"Monster" as in powerful-looking, or as in way too long, like CQ?

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
I was at the game, and though I was watching from the side, thought he looked very good. He smoked a line drive into right center that Nyjer Morgan ran down on a very fine play. Then he crushed a line single his second time up for an RBI. He grounded into a DP his third time up with the bases loaded. That was a missed oppty, but it added a run. He was out his fourth time, then gave way to Vizquel in the 8th defensively. He also started the only Sox DP on the day.

A fine beginning, showed some power in his bat.

He smoked the dp ball as well.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 11:57 PM)
"Monster" as in powerful-looking, or as in way too long, like CQ?

I dunno, I didn't see all his at-bats so I can't break down his swing, just the one where he ripped the ball.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Sorry if it's been asked already, but how did he look today at the plate and in the field? I see he hit into a RBI DP and also started one defensively.

Don't get an RBI on a double play. ;)

He hit the ball hard 3 of his 4 plate appearances and had a hit (swung through what appeared to be a hanging breaking ball to strike out his last at bat). Looked good on defense today too when he had chances. I can see why Ozzie called him "The Cuban Pimp" and then "The Cuban Tank" when the PR people yelled at him for the first nickname.

Edited by whitesoxfan101