Are you in or out

Kyyle23

?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• In: This Team has me hooked, they are finally playing to their potential
    • Out: They are beating teams they SHOULD beat. I am not convinced
    • On the Fence: I can't make up my damn mind

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
Haven't the Sox played well against good teams this year and suffered vs the bad?

Anyway, I'm in.

i think we were something like 17-17 or 18-18 against teams that were over .500

and the same mark against teams below .500, with the Indians being a large part of that (4-8)....finally balanced out by beating up on the Cubs, Pirates and Nationals

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in at the moment, but it's a tippy-toe in. Let's see where we are at in 9 more games (end of July). Play the Braves, Cubs and Royals. Braves are not good on the road, the Cubs are dysfunctional and bad, and the Royals still are KC. We should be 6-3, or at least 5-4. I am glad we are winning, but we have beat the worst teams in the league. Do it against moderately better competition and I'll have my entire foot in.

Really, all I needed was a stretch to show that this team might actually stand a chance of winning some ballgames. I have seen this.

Now I'd like Gordon to legitimize the jersey I bought. They have me hooked though, and I'm rewarding them with attendance this week.

I'm in, after having to chase down the bus after jumping off early...

To be honest, everything through July looks relatively doable, but I can't see them making or losing meaningful ground in the next 40 days because they just don't seem to have that kind of talent. I'd bet they'll hang around or just above .500 for the next month or so but not make a huge run, and end up 4-5-6-7 games out heading into the first of decisive stretches of baseball this season, August 3rd through the 19th. (the second is September 6th through the 19th)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
Out. We just played 3 of the worst teams in all of baseball and still had a ton of close ballgames. They just arent very good.

I'm kind of with Rock here. I still haven't seen anything from this offense that tells me we can compete with the better teams in baseball. I will admit that I’m feeling a lot more optimistic about this team’s chances of being relevant towards the end of the season, but we need another bat. This has been the case since the start of spring.

I'm still out but I am paying attention to the team again. I will say Ozzie/KW have built a good team to compete in the NL, unfortunately we are in the wrong league. At least we are in it a bit again, if the Twins don't score 9 in the ninth or beat halladay we are looking really good (damn twins).

The Sox second half schedule is brutal. The Twins are done with Boston and New York. The Tigers are done on the west coast. It's going to be tough, no question. The Sox only hope is to dominate both teams head to head.

Tigers 9-5

Twins 9-4

That's the minimum. and then hope.

I'm in regardless. I kind of thought that we couldn't suck like this for an entire season with this lineup.

I agree that I won't take them seriously until they start beating up on AL teams--particularly in the division. But hey, somebody: when was the last time we had a six-game winning streak? I cannot even remember. 2006?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
The Sox second half schedule is brutal. The Twins are done with Boston and New York. The Tigers are done on the west coast. It's going to be tough, no question. The Sox only hope is to dominate both teams head to head.

Tigers 9-5

Twins 9-4

That's the minimum. and then hope.

I quickly did a look and I pulled the following as teams that I think are what I would consider tough oppenents they are the Rays, Jays Rangers, Angels, Yanks and Red Sox. Below are how I quickly added these up. I did not look head-to-head.

Twins Rays (8) Jays (7) Rangers (7) Angels (3) = 25

Sox Angels (7) Yanks (3) Red Sox (7) = 17

Tigers Rays (7) Jays (8) Rangers (5) Angels (2) Yanks (4) Red Sox (3) = 29

I then looked at tough stretches and I found none like these for the Sox

Twins Rays (4) Jays (3) Tigers (3) Sox (4) Rangers (4) Angels (3)

Tigers Rangers (3) Jays (4) Rays (4) Red Sox (3) White Sox (3) Angels (3) Rays (3) White Sox (3) Yanks (4) yes that is in succession

I pulled this together off of the cuff so I am not sure it is 100% accurate but I like the Sox schdule. I also think the Jays pitching matches up against he Twins nicely.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
I'm kind of with Rock here. I still haven't seen anything from this offense that tells me we can compete with the better teams in baseball. I will admit that I’m feeling a lot more optimistic about this team’s chances of being relevant towards the end of the season, but we need another bat. This has been the case since the start of spring.

I am with you guys. This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. If we get another bat then I am in. This run at least makes the games interesting for another month. But we played 3 of the worst teams in the NL while the Twins played 3 of the better teams and we are still 5.5 back. With the extreme unbalance in the interleague schedule this was our season to win. We gave up 21 runs in the last 11 games and that is not going to continue. Once we get back to playing teams that can actually hit I think the weak offense will cost us again.

At the end of the day, I'm always in. Beckham has hit the ball harder, although Sunday he didn't. Quentin seems to be making strides and our pitching is improving. Offensively I have some doubts but this team can do it. The problem is the 2nd half schedule is tough.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
I'm in regardless. I kind of thought that we couldn't suck like this for an entire season with this lineup.

I agree that I won't take them seriously until they start beating up on AL teams--particularly in the division. But hey, somebody: when was the last time we had a six-game winning streak? I cannot even remember. 2006?

The last 6+ game win streak was actually last season June 27th through July 3rd (7-game win streak). The last time the White Sox swept two series in a row was in 2008, they did it three times. First time was in May against San Fransisco and Cleveland, the second time was in early June against Kansas City and Minnesota, and then the third time was against the Cubs and Indians in late June-early July.

But I agree with a lot of the others, although it is very exciting and getting my interest in them again with all these wins, until the Sox beat up on some tougher teams, I don't know if I really believe this team can do anything more than be a .500 team.

I do think these next 3 games will tell us a whole lot more though. These are going to be games against a really strong and hot Atlanta Braves team. I say bring it on, if we are gonna be a playoff team, we need to beat teams like this and take series.

Lets grab a minimum of 2 out of 3 Good Guys!!!

Until they show they can beat Minny or Detroit in the 2nd half of the season, I'm still out.

Just don't think this team has enough offensively, and you can't rely on the pitching to be as good as it's been over the past week and a bit.

Couldn't possibly be more on the fence about our chances than I am right now. I couldn't have been too much more out about them than I was two weeks ago after the Cleveland series though, so they've certainly made major progress. But I need to see the good play continuing, and against Major League teams (not National League ones) before I'm fully in about our chances. Be nice to get 2 of 3 against Atlanta since they're actually a legitimate team, and the only one we play until July starts.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'd love to see the Sox win the next few series (up to the end of the month). What I think will happen is:

2 of 3 against Atlanta

2 of 3 against the Schlubs

2 of 3 against KC

1 of 3 against Tex

Still a nice run for sure. I hesitated to say 2 of 3 against the Braves, but I think the team has a good head of steam.

So, being 41-39 after July 4th would be good, and I would feel pretty good about this team. If they are at this record or better, I think KW seriously starts shopping. If ther Sox have a sub .500 record at that point, I might have to say I'm out.

They've earned the right to get back in it. It's all about their place after the 4-gamer in Minnesota. In my view, if the Sox are 4.5 out or better at that time, they're in. If they're in 3rd place and 5 back of both the Twins and Tigers, they're sellers.