Joel Zumaya's Elbow Explodes

DukeNukeEm

That's nothing like the pitcher who broke his arm throwing a pitch. i'm thinking it was Dave Dravekcy(sp) some years back. i remember seeing the tape and actually being able to hear the arm break....still gives me the willies thinking about it

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
That's nothing like the pitcher who broke his arm throwing a pitch. i'm thinking it was Dave Dravekcy(sp) some years back. i remember seeing the tape and actually being able to hear the arm break....still gives me the willies thinking about it

There was more to that than a broken arm. AS I recall, he had a cancerous tumor in his throwing arm, got it treated and healed, came back to baseball, and in I think his first game back, suffered a massive injury to the arm. I remember watching the pitch, he was facing Tim Raines. The tumor had come back without them knowing it, and that caused the muscles to break down in his arm. I think he actually, eventually, had to have the arm amputated.

I'm sure someone could wiki me and correct anything I got wrong here.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)

I believe Tom Browning was another one. He was throwing a pitch and his arm just like came out of the socket and the ball went flying. I can't seem to find the video anywhere. I think he actually threw a perfect game earlier in his career too.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)

Tony Saunders. Tampa Bay.

Watching that GIF of the pitch release was terrifying. His elbow literally bent a bit as he delivered the pitch.

Zumaya was great when he was healthy this year, it sucks for Detroit and it sucks for him even more.

His career is probably done, at least for the next two years I'd say.

Unless he changes his mechanics, this is going to happen again. Throwing 100 across your body won't bode well.

my brother's elbow did a similar thing at 14. he was already throwing 80 at that age which put waaaay too much stress on his elbow. One day during a game he delivered a pitch, yelled, the pitch went into the dirt, and that was it. The tendons connected to his elbow pulled the bone clear apart. He pitched again in High School, but he was never able to add to his velocity/achieve the level he potentially could have.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:02 AM)
There was more to that than a broken arm. AS I recall, he had a cancerous tumor in his throwing arm, got it treated and healed, came back to baseball, and in I think his first game back, suffered a massive injury to the arm. I remember watching the pitch, he was facing Tim Raines. The tumor had come back without them knowing it, and that caused the muscles to break down in his arm. I think he actually, eventually, had to have the arm amputated.

I'm sure someone could wiki me and correct anything I got wrong here.

I was wrong about it being his first game back, but right on the rest. Cancer. surgery, recovery, rehab, played again, cancer, broken bone delivering a pitch, out of baseball, and eventually amputation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
His elbow was bound to blow up again eventually. I have to admit, dont care that much, never liked the guy.

He constantly threw across his body at 100+MPH. That doesn't work.

broken bone, non-displaced. No ligament damage. That's good news for him. He's done for the season, but sounds like he could come back next year.

Zumaya has a non-displaced fracture of olecranon (tip of elbow) and he will be sidelined for the remainder of the season.
Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
Wow, he's lucky.

Will somebody please tell this guy how to properly throw a pitch so that this doesn't happen again?

He's been on the DL 6 times since March 2008, twice on the 60-day with I believe 3 surgical procedures already. The dude is a mess.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
broken bone, non-displaced. No ligament damage. That's good news for him. He's done for the season, but sounds like he could come back next year.

I don't get it. How do you break off the tip of your elbow pitching? Seems mechanically impossible. I actually broke off the tip of my elbow, in a mountain bike wreck. But the actual tip of the elbow doesn't hit against anything else in a pitching motion, except the tendon and sheath that pass nearby. A tendon wouldn't break a bone, right? The tendon would go first.

Maybe ptatc can shed some light.