White Sox Trade Catch-All

hi8is

The White Sox made a run at Cliff Lee, but never got close to landing him. Although a left-handed bat remains their biggest need, there aren't many on the market who appeal to them besides Dunn, whose price tag is "exorbitant." They might settle for acquiring a right-handed hitter, and could also pursue another starter if Daniel Hudson struggles.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
Are there ever trades made during the ASB?

Yes, but they are usually made the day after the ASG. Shannon Stewart was traded in 2003 from Toronto to Minnesota for Bobby Kielty on July 16th. The ASB that year was July 14-16.

The only potential problem with trading during the ASB is that all the scouting prior to the deal needs to be done, or a GM would have to be absolutely wooed by a deal to make it happen. You obviously can't really scout MLB players during the ASB (unless you want to believe in the appearance during the game), and a lot of minor leaguers are on some type of break too.

What would you be willing to give up for DeJesus and Soria? That was the postgame call in show rumor out here, that KC may deal them to the Sox.

KC would demand Flowers. What else would you be willing to give up?

I think they'll try to rob us blind of 4-5 prospects, maybe even Viciedo with Flowers and 2-3 more.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 03:05 AM)
What would you be willing to give up for DeJesus and Soria? That was the postgame call in show rumor out here, that KC may deal them to the Sox.

I think they'll try to rob us blind of 4-5 prospects, maybe even Viciedo with Flowers and 2-3 more.

DeJesus seems to be the type of player the Sox want to transition to, so he makes alot of sense. For those 2, i'd give Flowers, Hudson, Morel, plus. I would try and hold onto Viciedo at all costs. I think he'll turn out to be the best of the bunch. Adding Soria to this bullpen would almost be unfair. Ozzie would be picking and choosing from Thornton, Putz, Santos, Jenks, and Soria. :notworthy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)

This is Dayton Moore we're talking about so...

Flowers-Morel-Torres-Holmberg-Santeliz

The Royals need pitching, but I'd be hesitant to deal Huddy if we don't get a fifth starter.

If it came down to it, I'd probably bite.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 05:30 AM)
This is Dayton Moore we're talking about so...

Flowers-Morel-Torres-Holmberg-Santeliz

The Royals need pitching, but I'd be hesitant to deal Huddy if we don't get a fifth starter.

If it came down to it, I'd probably bite.

Not that I'm saying I wouldn't do that...but you're sorta locking yourself into Mark Teahen as your starting 3b for the next 2+ years and forcing yourself to resign AJ Pierzynski probably for about $4-6 million per year, probably for at least 2 years, this offseason.

I'm thinking for Soria and DeJesus, who pretty much are two of their three best hitters, they need to try to rob the Sox, especially with their fan base out of patience (almost).

I'd say Flowers, Dayan would be demanded then probably three other promising prospects.

I consider Flowers and Dayan major leaguers already.

Soria obviously would become the closer, then we would trade Bobby in another deal.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
When dealing with a depleted staff that includes a rookie and a really old guy, it can't hurt to shorten the games by having a blockbuster pen.

So you then solve your problems by replacing the rookie or the really old guy with a better pitcher...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
I wouldn't call Jenks barely a mediocre closer. And if he fails 2-3 in a row we can turn to Thornton or Putz to close.

If we got Soria, it's obivous we'd trade Jenks to the Phillies.

Obvious? I'm not sure why the Phillies would want to take on his salary, for one.

And frankly, yes, I'd call him a mediocre closer. If all that a closer can do is come out and barely escape the 9th inning, and he's 100% useless outside the 9th inning, then he's a mediocre closer.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
So you then solve your problems by replacing the rookie or the really old guy with a better pitcher...

Typically I'd agree but maybe the trade market dictates to KW that it's a better option to improve the pen.....I don't know, man..I'm just speculating why we'd be trading for Soria if we're unable to deal Jenks.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Why do you bother?

I don't mind when someone says Jenks has been adequate or that he's been serviceable, but when someone flat out lies and say he's been excellent overall, I have to say something.