Jorge Cantu to the Rangers

Eminor3rd

No thanks. Right handed, pretty bad production (.320 wOBA for a DH? I'd rather have Kotsay or Teahen), and will actually cost prospects.

His defense at 3B is nothing stellar, in fact, he's not any better than Teahen. Gaby Sanchez would make more sense, but we're not getting him.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
No thanks. Right handed, pretty bad production (.320 wOBA for a DH? I'd rather have Kotsay or Teahen), and will actually cost prospects.

His defense at 3B is nothing stellar, in fact, he's not any better than Teahen. Gaby Sanchez would make more sense, but we're not getting him.

Sanchez is supposedly available as well as they are looking to clear the way for Morrison. He would definitely cost more than Cantu though with their contract situations.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
Sanchez is supposedly available as well as they are looking to clear the way for Morrison. He would definitely cost more than Cantu though with their contract situations.

I'd rather go get LaRoche.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
Going from Joe Robbie to The Cell might work well for him. Might be a good choice, for the right price, if we can't snag a more impact bat like Dunn/Berkman/LaRoche for a reasonable price.

How many thirdbasemen do you need?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
I wouldn't want him for 3B, I'd want him as a DH.

Jorge Cantu at his absolute best has been a slightly above average hitter, and he's been bad this year. He shouldn't even be a fallback option for the White Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Jorge Cantu at his absolute best has been a slightly above average hitter, and he's been bad this year. He shouldn't even be a fallback option for the White Sox.

I'd sure love to have half of his 2008 season.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
Mark Kotsay would be an upgrade over Davis. Smoak wasn't hitting all that much better when he was there either.

My point exactly. It isn't hard to be better than Davis right now, even though Cantu hasn't been good this year.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
For nothing.

The Marlins will get minor league right-handers Evan Reed and Omar Poveda. Reed, 24, has posted a 1.76 ERA and 1.20 WHIP over 41 innings this season between Double-A and Triple-A. Poveda, 27, is on the disabled list currently, recovering from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. Cantu will give the Rangers a solid right-handed bat for the stretch run.

Teams who's scouts I trust to rake other teams over the coals in trades, for me, goes something like this:

1. Florida

Others receiving consideration: Minnesota.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
Teams who's scouts I trust to rake other teams over the coals in trades, for me, goes something like this:

1. Florida

Others receiving consideration: Minnesota.

Oh, I've followed the Marlins since their inception into the league, I completely agree. But you're looking at a 24 year old reliever in AA and a guy on the DL with TJS. I don't think they could have been expected to get anything that significant, but they threw in cash, which they never do, and this was all they got.