Sun-Times: Ted Lilly to Sox?

LVSoxFan

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/2499...eluca15.article

So what do we think of this idea? The upside is he'd be a rental--he's a free agent after this year. No long-term contract to absorb.

The skeptics say that he's a fly-ball pitcher which would kill him in The Cell, although I wouldn't say Wrigley Field is exactly a pitcher-friendly park.

The Cubs are definitely in sell mode, they've stated it publicly.

I personally like the idea. God that would be funny to see him in a Sox uniform. And he could plug the hole left by Peavy which, let's be honest, we need to plug. Unless you really think there's going to be a Miracle with the Hudson...

Ted Lilly is one of those guys that tells you the disparity between the AL and NL.

In all his seasons with the Cubs, he's given up nearly 50% fly balls, more than he was giving up in the AL. Yet, his HR/FB has DROPPED since moving to the NL. Call it the wind blowing in or whatever, but it just shows that the NL hitters suck.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
So you really think he'd get hammered at The Cell? Okay, well just though I'd throw it out there. :whichway

Now bringing ZAMBRANO here (also a rumor, but a sleight one), now THAT makes me cringe.

Go look at his AL numbers and then look at the amount of fly balls he gives up. He'd make a serviceable fifth starter, but we'd have to give up something for him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
Get used to seeing this at the Cell

lillymeltdown.gif

Talk about getting caught in the moment. :D

That's one of the best GIFs of all time.

Edited by chw42

Since we're on the topic, okay, so thumbs down on Lilly. Are we really confident that Hudson can carry us the second half? Or do we need hired help?

As the dude points out in the article... with only four strong starters (and Freddy allegedly weakens during second halves), say hello to 2004.

depends on the price....in a vacuum would i take lilly over hudson right now? yes probably. but the fact of the matter is that the cubs can probably get a decent return on lilly from a team like the mets, and its a price i dont want to match....

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
Not sure I agree with the 1st part but definitely agree that we don't want Lilly.

Well I mean if he sucks again at Seattle, I'd be concerned about Hudson. But no need to panic when you have 4 starters pitching as well as our top 4 are. I think whether or not we trade for another SP will come down right to the deadline on the 31st. We'll do everything we can to give Hudson a chance because I think we're more interested in using our resources on a bat.

Edited by whitesoxfan101