THE CLUB - 2010

justBLAZE

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
Some great insight about the draft on tonight's show. Sounds like KW was dead right on B. Loux and his injury issues. Sounds like with the first pick, out of the 6 possible players they were interested in, it was Grandal, Eibner, Workman, Loux, and Sale. KW was very interested in making Eibner a 2-way player.

Last night's episode was spectacular to watch as a Sox fan. Here's my Soxnet.net commentary.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
Some great insight about the draft on tonight's show. Sounds like KW was dead right on B. Loux and his injury issues. Sounds like with the first pick, out of the 6 possible players they were interested in, it was Grandal, Eibner, Workman, Loux, and Sale. KW was very interested in making Eibner a 2-way player.

That was real interesting. You could tell Hahn was thinking, "WTF is Kenny thinking?" I kinda agree with Rick on this because I think it is near impossible to make a two-way player a Major Leaguer. There is no way a MLB player could be that good at both. If there were, it would have happened by now. But by allowing a player to split time between being a position player and pitcher is doing a disservice to that player and stunting his growth on both. In the pros, you pick the one you will be best at and stick it there. If that doesn't work, then try to Santos route, but it's just unrealistic to attempt to be a two-way player.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
That was real interesting. You could tell Hahn was thinking, "WTF is Kenny thinking?" I kinda agree with Rick on this because I think it is near impossible to make a two-way player a Major Leaguer. There is no way a MLB player could be that good at both. If there were, it would have happened by now. But by allowing a player to split time between being a position player and pitcher is doing a disservice to that player and stunting his growth on both. In the pros, you pick the one you will be best at and stick it there. If that doesn't work, then try to Santos route, but it's just unrealistic to attempt to be a two-way player.

Maybe it doesn't happen because teams don't have the cojones to try something new?

I'm a huge fan of Eibner, and it stinks we didn't have a supplemental pick to take him. He would have been a great 2nd pick. Also, it seems that the Sox would have taken Grandal if he was there, as was reported the day after the draft. I can't stress how cool it was to see KW say no to Loux due to his elbow issues.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)

George Herman Ruth.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
I'm a huge fan of Eibner, and it stinks we didn't have a supplemental pick to take him. He would have been a great 2nd pick. Also, it seems that the Sox would have taken Grandal if he was there, as was reported the day after the draft. I can't stress how cool it was to see KW say no to Loux due to his elbow issues.

It was great to hear KW make that statement on Loux, it's interesting to hear the Diamondbacks say they were positioning for next year and would rather have next year's seventh pick now than sign Loux, they just made a mistake. Did you get the take that Lauman was really pushing for Loux?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
Not sure what was wrong with my tivo, but I missed it. anyone else have this problem?

They didn't encode meta-data on the show properly. My tivo is set to record only new episodes, but it records all of them since they didn't specify which was "new". All the episodes look the same as far as Tivo sees it. Pretty stupid

watched the first episode the day it aired, was really expecting a cheesy "Kenny is a wildcard, and Ozzie is crazy" deal, but it was not that AT ALL. Was very very well done, gave a true sense of how the business works, put the Sox in a refreshingly professional light, not with scripted reality show cue card directing I feared would deepen the weak image. The part with Hudson was tough, and the Torres sequence including his call to his father brought a tear to my eye.

Looking forward to the rest of the series and regardless, glad to see some unique exposure for the organization, doesn't come that often to national media. When they ran that "Pen" series on the Phillies, I thought "figures", what pro baseball thing doesn't revolve around NYY, BOS, CHC, PHI, ATL....

Who knows maybe soon, they'll be interviewing little leaguers in Nebraska and when asked who they're favorite team is they'll start saying White Sox instead of Red Sox :gosox3:

I'm desperately trying to find a stream of this...

There is one on Myp2p, but it's only after games. :(

Edit: it started working after a while. I'll be watching the last 15 minutes of the show.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)
Those episodes tonight were awful. Best part was KW's "hell no" response when asked if he thought the turnaround would be so sudden.

It wasn't anything we didn't know.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
God dammit I keep missing this. I caught the first episode and have missed the last two cause I keep forgetting it's on Sundays which is such a pathetic day to have it on, but whatever.

They re-air it like 25 times a week, trust me...