White Sox at Twins 7-18 game thread 1:05 first pitch

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
Good teams would of buried Blackburn when they had to chance and not leaving too many runners in scoring position. This team has no killer instincts at all.

We were up 3 going into bottom of the 9th. This game falls on Jenks/Santos, no one else.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Something the first half of this season is to not trust anything with this team, good or bad. It's 3 losses...sure it sucks, but I GUARANTEE you that if the division comes down to 2 games in the end, there will be plenty of other chances we blew.

I would circle this date as the turning point of the fall.

I didn't trust this team when they went 26-5, why should I start now.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
I would circle this date as the turning point of the fall.

I didn't trust this team when they went 26-5, why should I start now.

Oh, it could completely be the turning point. I think the turning point was more likely the Peavy injury, to be honest. The ripple effect that' going to have not only on the starting rotation, but on our ability to improve our offense, is what will keep us behind the Twins.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Most people (I think, intelligently) see the Twins as the real threat to this team, not the Tigers. We lost ground to them.

You're right. The season is over. The Twins gained 3 games worth of ground. Yep. Now that I think about it, the Sox now go to Seattle, and even though they've lost 4 straight, they're still a juggernaut. Why? Because Rios blows c***, Jenks swallows, and Santos is a rookie. Totally.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
You're right. The season is over. The Twins gained 3 games worth of ground. Yep. Now that I think about it, the Sox now go to Seattle, and even though they've lost 4 straight, they're still a juggernaut. Why? Because Rios blows c***, Jenks swallows, and Santos is a rookie. Totally.

Haven't seen you around here in a while, welcome back.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)

Why don't you read the rest of my posts, guy.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Again, it's not 1 game, it's 3 straight games....against the Twins, after the all-star break.....not a good trend to be setting.

And this is a marathon, not a race, which means that there are 159 other games that eventually get factored into the equation. So stop with "the sky is falling!" routine already. It's obnoxious.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Oh, it could completely be the turning point. I think the turning point was more likely the Peavy injury, to be honest. The ripple effect that' going to have not only on the starting rotation, but on our ability to improve our offense, is what will keep us behind the Twins.

^^^^^

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)

I see the Peavy incident as Kenny Williams trading our best prospects for below average pitching at the deadline this year. Don't get me started on that rant. Kenny should stand pat on starting pitching.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
This was not a TEAM loss. The team actually played well - battled back and put us in the position to win. The loss is on two people -- Jenks and Santos. That's it.

Juan Pierre as well

Just to put things in perspective: as unbelievably gut-wrenchingly bad as this game was, the Tigers just got swept

out of Cleveland. Weird weekend in the AL Central.

Considering where we ended up in the standings, I would stay off the ledge until you see how the team reacts to this nut-cruncher.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Good teams would of buried Blackburn when they had to chance and not leaving too many runners in scoring position. This team has no killer instincts at all.

First off, Friday the Sox had a chance to become the first team since 2001 in MLB to have 2 ten game winning streaks the same season. They blew that game, but did give themselves a pretty good shot in the 9th. Last night it was a 1 run game. Today they blew it, but in reality, Jenks blew it. A 3 run lead in the ninth should be automatic.

I don't think they are as good as they have been playing before these 3 losses, and the fact ist they were 26-5. If the Sox had the attitude you claim they have, they would have mailed this season in long ago. Now remove Jenks as the closer, get another bat and if you think Minnesota or Detroit, a team that was swept by Cleveland is better, good for you, but I'll take my chances.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
I see the Peavy incident as Kenny Williams trading our best prospects for below average pitching at the deadline this year. Don't get me started on that rant. Kenny should stand pat on starting pitching.

Those "prospects" suck and still do.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
Okay so serious question... Should Jenks be used as trade bait? I bet he would thrive in the NL. Should be be flipped to an NL contender for some prospects that could add to a package for a trade to get a LH bat or another starting pitcher?

Yes.

Okay so serious question... Should Jenks be used as trade bait? I bet he would thrive in the NL. Should be be flipped to an NL contender for some prospects that could add to a package for a trade to get a LH bat or another starting pitcher?

They tried to trade him in the offseason and had no takers. Why would anybody want him now?

lol. I wouldn't trade a used tampon for Bobby if I'm another team.

300 lb guys with diminishing stuff who have lots of leg problems and make $7.5 million generally don't have much trade value.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Haven't seen you around here in a while, welcome back.

Thanks.

I'm just sick of it. It's the reason I stopped coming to these boards. There are times when you need to be optimistic (7 games against Seattle in the next 13 days or so day [if my math is right, which it probably isn't]) and pessimistic (getting swept in 4 games @ Cleveland).

Let's say we just got swept by Cleveland and the Twins gained 3 games on us. I think these boards, these GREAT boards that some of you dopes are killing, would be even worse than what they are right now.

Edited by whitesoxbrian