Your "All-Time" Favorite Guitar Player

Rooftop Shots

There are a TON of different ones with different styles that I like in so many different ways, but being a musician myself, I have 2

that really stand out as to why "I" like them. You may differ, and not agree, but that's OK. That's what this thread is for.

Your opinions! We all have different tastes.

Al Dimeola. The friggin' guy played with the best of the best ("Return To Forever" Stanley Clark, Chick Corea and Lenny White) when he was just 19 years old in the mid-70's. I saw a video of Dimeola from the late 70's and his acoustic work was beyond lightning quick, and yet every note was so crisp and clear. Dimeola does play a Les Paul with distortion at times, but A lot of guitar players rely "Soley" on distortion when they play. Sure, they can play super quick, but when you rely upon distortion, you can get a little sloppy and get away with it.

Speed/Crisp/Clear..........Dimeola is the best I've ever heard.

Effects/ and getting things out of a guitar that have blown my mind as to "How'd the heck did he do that? Jeff Beck

Bassist: Brian Bromberg: He's a jazz musician and plays an 1800's upright bass. Also plays an electric, and a piccolo bass.

(Piccolo bass is where the strings are an octave higher than a normal bass.)

The guy is an outright clean and speed animal on the upright as well as electric.

Oh god, from the list of Page, Hendrix, Beck, Skolnick, Slash, Iommi, Satriani, Buckethead, Lifeson, and Zappa, its a crapshoot but if I had to think of one...

It'd be Alex Skolnick because of his wide diversity;

Jazz Fusion:

Metal:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra Fun:

Edit: For bass, it's Geddy Lee all the way.

Edited by Quinarvy

Ah, this is always a good debate. There are quite a few very good guitar players out there, and many of the same names come up: Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, BB King, etc. One of my favorites has always been Brian May. I'm a big fan of Queen, and I've listened to just about every album. Some of their best songs weren't their greatest hits. As far as May, the sounds he elicited from his guitar are unique. He may not be considered one of the best, but he's one of my favorites.

I douldn't pick just one. If I had to it would be Johnny Ramone. I think he proved you didn't have to be a "Guitar god" to be good. I think he also has more influence on modern guitar players than Jimi Hendrix does.

Keith Richards

Pete Townshend

Wayne Kramer

Ron Asheton

Johnny Ramone

Greg Ginn

Kurt Cobain

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
... One of my favorites has always been Brian May. I'm a big fan of Queen, and I've listened to just about every album. Some of their best songs weren't their greatest hits. As far as May, the sounds he elicited from his guitar are unique. He may not be considered one of the best, but he's one of my favorites.

You said it better than I could lol. Brian May is my all time favorite guitarist. :headbang

Eddie Van Halen. He was the most innovative guitarist of all time imo. He did things with his right hand that no one had ever dreamed of before. He was also a great rhythm player (which no one usually gives him credit for). That is the reason all the Van Halen imitators in the 80's didn't last, they were all flash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4lrAxUuwkk...feature=related

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 05:58 AM)
Oh god, from the list of Page, Hendrix, Beck, Skolnick, Slash, Iommi, Satriani, Buckethead, Lifeson, and Zappa, its a crapshoot but if I had to think of one...

It'd be Alex Skolnick because of his wide diversity;

Jazz Fusion:

Metal:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra Fun:

Edit: For bass, it's Geddy Lee all the way.

You're a freaking genius!!! :)

He is my favorite, I also like Dan Jacobs from Atreyu ..but I don't suppose any of you know who that is!? LOL

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
Eddie Van Halen. He was the most innovative guitarist of all time imo. He did things with his right hand that no one had ever dreamed of before. He was also a great rhythm player (which no one usually gives him credit for). That is the reason all the Van Halen imitators in the 80's didn't last, they were all flash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4lrAxUuwkk...feature=related

I second this, Hot For Teacher still blows my mind.

Stevie Ray Vaughan.

One listen to “Rude Mood” and you ask how is it that just one guitar can be doing that? A few more listens and you don’t ask how you just glare and realize that’s it’s all coming from talent and feeling.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
I second this, Hot For Teacher still blows my mind.

Don't forget Eruption.

This is a tough choice, and there are quite a few "right" answers, but I have to agree with Van Halen. I get ragged on a lot by my friends because they consider Van Halen to be a hair band.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
You're a freaking genius!!! :)

He is my favorite, I also like Dan Jacobs from Atreyu ..but I don't suppose any of you know who that is!? LOL

Slash I like for sentimental reasons mostly, when I started playing GNR songs I realized he's not that great a guitarist, just does a lot with more with less.

I've always loved the Who, so Pete and John are on the list. Eddie is hard to leave off any list. Clapton and BB are also pretty solid. Honestly, at times it is more than the sound that gets to me.

My guy is Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols.

I've always loved his sound - classic riffs dialed up and distorted.

His solos are simple but fit the songs, and he's just the coolest motherf***er in rock n roll as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
My all-time favorite is Jimi Hendrix. For an underrated/unheralded player, I like Alvin Lee from Ten Years After.

Believe it or not, the guy can still play. I saw him on a special about 2 years ago. At first, I thought, "yeah right!" What's he gonna do after all of these years? Was unexpectedly impressed.