Does Kenny dare to consider making this trade?

hawksox13

With Brandon Inge out for an extended period of time would Kenny Williams dare to think of trading Mark Teahen to the Tigers once he returns in a couple of weeks? It goes against trading to a contender in your own division, but it gets what looks like it's going to be a bad investment off of your books for another 2.5 seasons. I'm sure the Tigers would consider it if the Sox were willing to do it. It's pretty evident that Teahen is below average defensively at 3B and his future (hopefully) is not as the Sox permanent 3B for years to come....is it?

If you feel as though this needs to be moved to the trade forum please go for it. Just thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
I don't think so. If Teahen were productive and the Tigers won the division, KW would have essentially written his own death sentence as our GM.

I don't think anyone considers Teahen to be this big of an X-factor, to be honest. It's not like trading Alex Gordon to the Tigers.

Secondly, as far as I understand, Teahen is going to be out several more weeks still. The Tigers, if they're going to go outside the organization for a 3b, would most likely do so sooner rather than later, as Inge is only going to miss 4-6 weeks.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
The Tigers would rather go after Aramis Ramirez or someone of that sort, not Mark Teahen.

Obviously Teahen isn't the number one option out there, but he can probably be had for a couple mid level prospects. Aramis Ramirez is still owed a lot of money and has two years left on his deal. I don't think the Tigers will want to give up good prospects and be obligated to pay Ramirez what he's do the rest of this year and next. I think they said on the radio he's set to make $14M next season, where Teahen is going to make $5M.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
Well of course they'd rather do that, but the price would be higher.

But Ramirez could play for them now, unlike Teahen who won't be there till Aug. Dombrowski insures his own firing with a trade for Teahen.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
Obviously Teahen isn't the number one option out there, but he can probably be had for a couple mid level prospects. Aramis Ramirez is still owed a lot of money and has two years left on his deal. I don't think the Tigers will want to give up good prospects and be obligated to pay Ramirez what he's do the rest of this year and next. I think they said on the radio he's set to make $14M next season, where Teahen is going to make $5M.

The pricetag on Ramirez should make him cheaper, if anything. The Cubs are looking to dump salary, they're not going to ask for too much I imagine.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
The pricetag on Ramirez should make him cheaper, if anything. The Cubs are looking to dump salary, they're not going to ask for too much I imagine.

Ramirez is a value contract for the Cubs compared to some of the other deals they've signed (see Fukudome, Soriano, Zambrano). I don't think Ramirez is at the top of the Cubs "I wish we could trade this guy" list, so they won't be giving him away. Now if you want Fukudome, Soriano, or Zambrano come and get them. You know all three will be placed on waivers come August in hopes a team is dumb enough to claim them, which no team will.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
The Tigers would rather go after Aramis Ramirez or someone of that sort, not Mark Teahen.

Who in their right mind would take Teahen?

It was a ridiculous trade to begin with.

He should have went after Hudson or stayed with Getz and kept Beckman at 3rd.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
Who in their right mind would take Teahen?

It was a ridiculous trade to begin with.

He should have went after Hudson and keep Beckman at 3rd or stayed with Getz.

Chris Getz is hitting .233 with a .575 OPS on the season.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
People need to understand the trade was great, the extension was a bit rushed and looking bad now. Can this change? Yes, I still think Mark can produce.

He has the ability to be more than mediocre. But until then, he's very mediocre. If he was mediocre on offense and mediocre on defense at 3B, he'd be a pretty valuable player. But he can't defend for s***, so yeah...

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
People need to understand the trade was great, the extension was a bit rushed and looking bad now. Can this change? Yes, I still think Mark can produce.

IMO it was a good trade. Teahen was doing better and had the potential to make the trade much better until he got hurt. The extension was too much and too soon for not having seen Teahen improve on his time with the Royals. Seeing how much the sox have been counting on Omar's defense at 3B, I don't see Teahen getting more time than him when he returns.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
IMO it was a good trade. Teahen was doing better and had the potential to make the trade much better until he got hurt. The extension was too much and too soon for not having seen Teahen improve on his time with the Royals. Seeing how much the sox have been counting on Omar's defense at 3B, I don't see Teahen getting more time than him when he returns.

Teahen's not a terrible player. He'd probably be better than what the Tigers could currently put at 3B day in and day out. But the Sox have proven that they don't need Tehen to be successful. That's why it's an intriguing move because it does actually make some sense for both sides. Tigers get improvement on the field, Sox get a contract that doesn't look great off of the books.

The Tigers are going to look at Miguel Tejada, Peralta, Wigginton, Alberto Callaspo, Jose Lopez....but their first options are Sizemore (900+ OPS in the minors) and moving Carlos Guillen back to that position, although who would be worse between Guillen and Josh Fields would be a question up for lots of discussion.

They might also try D. Kelly there as well.

I think two of the most intriguing infield names that might move are Uggla and Cantu.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
The Tigers are going to look at Miguel Tejada, Peralta, Wigginton, Alberto Callaspo, Jose Lopez....but their first options are Sizemore (900+ OPS in the minors) and moving Carlos Guillen back to that position, although who would be worse between Guillen and Josh Fields would be a question up for lots of discussion.

They might also try D. Kelly there as well.

I think two of the most intriguing infield names that might move are Uggla and Cantu.

Let's just hope that the Tigers trade for Tejada and Wigginton to solve their offensive woes on the left side of the infield. And that they give up Porcello in the process.

But seriously, I think the Tigers are going to go hard after Aramis Ramirez. His $16 mill option in 2012 becomes guaranteed if he picks up his 2011 $14.6 mill player option after he is traded, so the Tigers would be filling a hole on the left side of their infield for 2 and a half years, and they can afford to make that move too with as much money as they have coming off their payroll at the end of the year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
But seriously, I think the Tigers are going to go hard after Aramis Ramirez. His $16 mill option in 2012 becomes guaranteed if he picks up his 2011 $14.6 mill player option after he is traded, so the Tigers would be filling a hole on the left side of their infield for 2 and a half years, and they can afford to make that move too with as much money as they have coming off their payroll at the end of the year.

Then what would they do with Brandon Inge when he gets back?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
I don't think anyone considers Teahen to be this big of an X-factor, to be honest. It's not like trading Alex Gordon to the Tigers.

Secondly, as far as I understand, Teahen is going to be out several more weeks still. The Tigers, if they're going to go outside the organization for a 3b, would most likely do so sooner rather than later, as Inge is only going to miss 4-6 weeks.

I'm not saying Teahen would be an X-factor, but if we traded him to the Tigers and he was productive it could help them win the division.

I'm honestly shocked anyone thinks that KW would be willing to make this trade. When is the last time two divisional opponents made a trade with each other in the middle of a playoff chase?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
I'm not saying Teahen would be an X-factor, but if we traded him to the Tigers and he was productive it could help them win the division.

I'm honestly shocked anyone thinks that KW would be willing to make this trade. When is the last time two divisional opponents made a trade with each other in the middle of a playoff chase?

If it's where one team is in the race, Cliff Lee to Rangers

If it's when both are in the race...I don't know.