Staying Pat

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
I think a lot of what is going on right now is just posturing. The big demand from Rizzo on Dunn could come down in the final days. Kenny will do something, and I don't think he'll do anything that would be considered overpaying.

Yeah but trading Dayan and/or Flowers and Hudson might be depressing.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
Honestly, with Peavy out we're now much less likely to dominate in the playoffs. There's a huge difference between running JP,JD,GF,MB and trotting out JD,GF,MB,FG. I will be disappointed if KW goes all in when our best pitcher is on the DL.

Danks is starting tonight

I agree KW should not go all in.

We are pretty much overachieving right now.

We need Dayan/Beckham/Flowers/Hudson for the future.

Without Peavy, like you said, I'd rather just take our chances. s***, I hate Jones, but play him every day (did I say that?) and maybe he'll hit 10-15 homers the rest of the way while whiffing at all the other at bats.

I keep hearing DeJesus is gonna get dealt, so look for us to overpay for him. Yuk.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
I agree KW should not go all in.

We are pretty much overachieving right now.

Really, I disagree on this. When you look at the season stats for the guy who was supposed to be our #1 starter for example, he put up a 7-6 record and a 4.6 ERA before he went down. Our #2 starter hasn't been that stellar either. Yet, we have a run differential right now of +34, 2nd best in the division and a notch below the Twins, and that number is consistent to within a game or two of our record.

If I look at the roster, there's still only a handful of guys I'd say overachieved. Konerko first and foremost, followed a ways back by Rios, Putz, Vizquel, Garcia. You can argue that basically everyone we were counting on to carry this team except Konerko has underachieved and we're still pretty close to where we should be.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
I honestly don't see ourselves as World Series contenders.

Sure, but you probably didn't see us going 26-5 for a stretch either.

Our ERA is 3.33 over the last 42 games. And that's what matters most once you get into the crapshoot of the playoffs (your 2006 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals).

The one massive upgrade KW can give this team is an upgrade at DH with Dunn. His price will come down a little. The Sox sent Reed, Olivo and Morse to Seattle for what was at the time a rental in Garcia. Signed him and he was a huge part of winning a title while the prospects faded. I'd hate to give up Hudson now, because if he stops walking people he should be fine. All others are fair game as far as I'm concerned if Dunn is the prize. He makes an average line up a scary one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Really, I disagree on this. When you look at the season stats for the guy who was supposed to be our #1 starter for example, he put up a 7-6 record and a 4.6 ERA before he went down. Our #2 starter hasn't been that stellar either. Yet, we have a run differential right now of +34, 2nd best in the division and a notch below the Twins, and that number is consistent to within a game or two of our record.

If I look at the roster, there's still only a handful of guys I'd say overachieved. Konerko first and foremost, followed a ways back by Rios, Putz, Vizquel, Garcia. You can argue that basically everyone we were counting on to carry this team except Konerko has underachieved and we're still pretty close to where we should be.

Balta,

Am I reading your post right that you think Konerko is "overachieving"? If so I don't agree. Paulie has shown consistency in numbers and was an all-star before this year too.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
Balta,

Am I reading your post right that you think Konerko is "overachieving"? If so I don't agree. Paulie has shown consistency in numbers and was an all-star before this year too.

Konerko is overachieving. Nobody expected a .400 wOBA season from him like this. If this season were to end today, Konerko would finish with the highest wOBA of his career at age 34. It doesn't make sense.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
Konerko is overachieving. Nobody expected a .400 wOBA season from him like this. If this season were to end today, Konerko would finish with the highest wOBA of his career at age 34. It doesn't make sense.

Contract year. Makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
They gotta do something...this is the most frustrating 1st place White Sox team of all time

I'd say 03 was a little more frustrating. That team had so much talent and absolutely just tanked. They were wildly inconsistent on offense and every 5th day was a struggle because they'd have Felix Diaz or Arnie Munoz pitching.

I hate how Kenny felt the need to go get Roberto Alomar when we had pitching issues.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Contract year. Makes perfect sense.

I don't have the study on hand, but there is virtually no difference whatsoever in players' performances during the beginning, middle, or end of their contracts.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
I don't have the study on hand, but there is virtually no difference whatsoever in players' performances during the beginning, middle, or end of their contracts.

Paul Konerko, Great year.

Jayson Worth, Horrible year.

It evens out.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
Paul Konerko, Great year.

Jayson Worth, Horrible year.

It evens out.

Werth hasn't been horrible...

Now if you say Paul Konerko, great year. Derek Lee, bad year. Then that makes more sense.