FutureSox Top 25 Prospects List

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
I like a bunch of the jumps (like Escobar, Short, Gilmore) but man, injuries and dropping players (like CJ).

I did expect Flowers to be 3 and Mitchell to fall a bit.

What would you have done, Flowers 3, Sale 4? I had Sale at #2 personally.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
What would you have done, Flowers 3, Sale 4? I had Sale at #2 personally.

I didn't expect Dayan to be #2, I thought he'd be #4 and Flowers would be 3. I would have had it like it is (top 5 wise), but I didn't expect it to be that way.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
I didn't expect Dayan to be #2, I thought he'd be #4 and Flowers would be 3. I would have had it like it is (top 5 wise), but I didn't expect it to be that way.

Ha I have to ask why after a statement like that. Viciedo is younger than Flowers by a couple years and has greatly outperformed him this year. That trumps the value of a catcher.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
I actually like the top 10, though Torres would not have been near my list. I don't consider him a prospect anymore. I also see someone really likes Jacob as well. ;)

I'm on Team Jacob!

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
Ha I have to ask why after a statement like that. Viciedo is younger than Flowers by a couple years and has greatly outperformed him this year. That trumps the value of a catcher.

Hmm, I thought I put that I would have had it: Hudson, Sale, Dayan, Flowers, Mitchell.

I thought that Flowers would be voted higher (I like Viciedo far more, really don't like Flowers) because he always seemed to get a lot of love for being power catcher.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 02:36 AM)
Hmm, I thought I put that I would have had it: Hudson, Sale, Dayan, Flowers, Mitchell.

I thought that Flowers would be voted higher (I like Viciedo far more, really don't like Flowers) because he always seemed to get a lot of love for being power catcher.

We have a couple big Viciedo fans among the voters, myself included. It's really hard to argue Flowers ahead of Viciedo right now.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
We have a couple big Viciedo fans among the voters, myself included. It's really hard to argue Flowers ahead of Viciedo right now.

I don't think any of the voters put Flowers ahead of Viciedo. In fact I am sure of it. He was ranked 4 or 5 on everyone's lists.

Someone commented on Torres... People pretty much felt the same about him, he was 9 to 14 among voters. No one thinks he's anything great, but he has two things going for him. One, he's major league ready (to be what he probably will be - back of the rotation starter at best, or long/middle reliever), so his time value equation is better. Two, the system is really weak, so he looks good in comparison.

Honestly, after the top 8, the whole rest of the list could be ranked almost anywhere - its a pool of low ceiling role players ready to go or medium potential guys further away from ready or high potential but just got started. The combo of an already thin system, some underperformers (Retherford, Nunez, Gartrell, Leesman among others) and injuries to 5 of the Top 25 guys really make the list weak.

For me, a few guys who I think will jump up on the next list (just my personal view): Brandon Short, Andy Wilkins, Jose Martinez and Kyle Colligan.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)

Lets be honest, both are purely offensive prospects, what you get out of them defensively is pure butter. Sure, Flowers plays a more difficult position to fill with a premium bat, but at the same time, Flowers offensive tools are below that of Viciedo in every area but patience. Power wise I think they both have similar upside, however, Viciedo has a far better swing, better bat speed (elite bat speed) and does a superior job hitting the ball to all fields. Viciedo is also younger and his production at the same level was superior to that of Flowers (albeit, it is a smaller sample size).

Bottom line, I don't think it is really all that debateable as to who is the better prospect. A better debate, quite frankly, would be between Hudson and Viciedo because I think a case could be made that Viciedo is the better prospect due to his upside, but there are other things to factor into and pitching is still king and Huddy is pretty legit.

The more interesting names in our system are the guys new or not playing right now:

Trayce Thompson

Jared Mitchell

David Holmberg

Chris Sale

etc

Some of these guys have pretty elite upside, but also relatively high bust rates (and no, HOlmberg doesn't have elite upside, but the rest of those guys on that list do). Sale could be an elite set-up guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
Let's all band together and hope that we got something better than an elite setup guy with that draft pick.

Well he could be an elite closer too. I don't know if he has the ability to be an elite starter, but he definitely has good stuff and I will be curious to see how he progresses.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
Honestly, after the top 8, the whole rest of the list could be ranked almost anywhere - its a pool of low ceiling role players ready to go or medium potential guys further away from ready or high potential but just got started. The combo of an already thin system, some underperformers (Retherford, Nunez, Gartrell, Leesman among others) and injuries to 5 of the Top 25 guys really make the list weak.

Fortunately, it's still a very good Top 8, and the next group (Gilmore, Gonzalez, Escobar, Short) I think will all take a huge leap.

Nice job, it just sucks (in my eyes) seeing us have a back-up catcher and a 4th OF at #4 and #8.

I would have put Jose Martinez on the list over Gartrell. I think Daniel Wagner should have gotten some consideration as well.

Terry Doyle is another that could be argued. Yes he's 24 in high A ball, but he was 22 years old when drafted and he's putting up great numbers this year. I could see him ending up in AA this year at 24 years old.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
Nice job, it just sucks (in my eyes) seeing us have a back-up catcher and a 4th OF at #4 and #8.

I would have put Jose Martinez on the list over Gartrell. I think Daniel Wagner should have gotten some consideration as well.

Terry Doyle is another that could be argued. Yes he's 24 in high A ball, but he was 22 years old when drafted and he's putting up great numbers this year. I could see him ending up in AA this year at 24 years old.

We've already decided that Flowers and Danks are backups? A bit premature I think.

I agree on Martinez over Gartrell, but there are still big question marks with Martinez, and he needs to continue development. He missed a lot of time.

Doyle was discussed, people are aware of him, and he's definitely worth watching.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
We've already decided that Flowers and Danks are backups? A bit premature I think.

I agree on Martinez over Gartrell, but there are still big question marks with Martinez, and he needs to continue development. He missed a lot of time.

Doyle was discussed, people are aware of him, and he's definitely worth watching.

I think that's the direction Danks is heading, but I've never really been a huge supporter of his either.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)

Doyle's numbers in Winston-Salem are decent, but not great considering his age. 64 K, 23 BB in 82.2 IP. I doubt he would get moved to AA this year considering the Dash are in the playoffs and he hasn't quite dominated. With Hudson and Viciedo likely to graduate off the top 25 and a possible trade looming, Doyle is a likely candidate for the postseason list. The Sox have a few off the radar names that are performing. Martinez is healthy, Silverio is having a strong second half, Rienzo looks like he could be a top 15/20 guy in the postseason list.