The sleeper thread

shipps

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Edmonds anyone? Yeah, he's old, but the man knows how to hit, is somehow more durable than Quentin, and still plays a decent OF. I'm not saying he'd even be the answer at DH, but at the very least he's an upgrade over both Jones and Kotsay, and is a good backup option just in case Quentin breaks his back while taking a shower.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
He is a 23-year-old lefty who has good speed, plays great corner OF defense, has maybe one of the strongest OF arms I have ever seen, does not strike out a ton, and generally hits for a good average (.308 minors hitter, and hit .290 last year). He is not having a good year this year, but he is still only 23 years old.

There are plenty players better than him, but this thread is calling for a sleeper player, which I assume means a guy we can pick up that no one knows about. I can't imagine his value being too high right now, but then again, AZ may want to keep him for their rebuilding process. At the least, he is better than Mark Kotsay, and him and Rios and Pierre would make a very strong OF defensively.

Are you a personal friend of Parra's? You've been on his bandwagon since like March. You get an A+ for dedication.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
Jim Edmonds anyone? Yeah, he's old, but the man knows how to hit, is somehow more durable than Quentin, and still plays a decent OF. I'm not saying he'd even be the answer at DH, but at the very least he's an upgrade over both Jones and Kotsay, and is a good backup option just in case Quentin breaks his back while taking a shower.

That'd be like a last resort type of move.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
Are you a personal friend of Parra's? You've been on his bandwagon since like March. You get an A+ for dedication.

Oh...I'll never tell. But yes, I am dedicated. Even if he hits .100 the rest of the season, you will see me suggesting we pick him up in the off-season. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
Hitting .289, .866 OPS.

I'd totally give up someone random from A-ball for that.

.350 BABIP, unsustainable line drive rate of 29%, lots of fly balls.

He's due for a regression and I don't want him on this team when it happens.

He would make sense for this team, but I sure wouldn't consider him somebody you'd really like to have.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
He's due for a regression and I don't want him on this team when it happens.

I think I can say this about 2/3 of the garbage players in the big leagues...he'd still be better than Kotsay during the regression.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
I think I can say this about 2/3 of the garbage players in the big leagues...he'd still be better than Kotsay during the regression.

Yeah, that's true. Like I said, he does make sense for this team and he's surprisingly having a hell of a year (2.5 WAR). But if I have a choice of Luke Scott or Jim Edmonds, I'd take Scott in a heartbeat.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
Yeah, that's true. Like I said, he does make sense for this team and he's surprisingly having a hell of a year (2.5 WAR). But if I have a choice of Luke Scott or Jim Edmonds, I'd take Scott in a heartbeat.

You have to add the qualifier "assuming the asking price is the same".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
You have to add the qualifier "assuming the asking price is the same".

It won't be and it shouldn't be. Scott is going to be here next year if we do get him. A year and two months of a .365 wOBA hitter is a lot more valuable than 2 months of a .340 wOBA hitter (that's what ZiPS is projecting for Edmonds).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
South Korea

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
The Korean army. He's required to complete a year or so of military service by the time he's age 30, and he's just about that age, and they haven't figured out a way out of it yet.

Yeah, but my point is they can't send him back if he's here. It's his choice if he wants to return to Korea.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
Yeah, but my point is they can't send him back if he's here. It's his choice if he wants to return to Korea.

He's revered and loved in S. Korea, I think he's gonna go back if they tell him too. Otherwise, he can never go back (probably has family there), he can never play for a S. Korea national team again., I don't doubt think he would give that up for 1 or 2 years in the majors, even if he is in his prime.

I don't think playing on the national team is going to be a deciding factor. They left him off of the 2006 WBC roster because he didn't go back to do his optional 4 week military training (in place of the 2 year service).

The only thing that could cause him to go back are his family, IMO.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
There's always Josh Willingham though I'm sure the price for him is higher than even that of Dunn.

It should be higher than Dunn's. Willingham can play defense and hit almost as well.