The sleeper thread

shipps

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
with pkt on the garrett jones idea

pfft... me and fathom (especially me) have been on that bandwagon months ago.

Does this thread count if you just mean players as sleepers being traded to other teams? If so I think Brett Myers will be a fantastic sleeper pickup for a contending team in the NL (possibly AL, though he's probably better in the NL) to pick as a #4 or #5. Plus that team is dealing with the Astors GM which you can probably net him on the cheap. Plus, he's a FA (mutual option of 8 million) at the end of the season though I've read the Astro brass wants to bring him back cause of this quote.. "he could be a foundation for future rotations" which doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
I'm sure SoxAce is right there with you and I think you're all nuts.

Haha Kalapse beat me to it. :D

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
I'd take Garrett Jones if the Pirates practically gave him to us. But otherwise, I'll pass.

And seeing as how he's under team control for 5 more years there's absolutely no reason for them to do so.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
.350 BABIP, unsustainable line drive rate of 29%, lots of fly balls.

He's due for a regression and I don't want him on this team when it happens.

He would make sense for this team, but I sure wouldn't consider him somebody you'd really like to have.

You're a good knowledgeable poster but sometimes I just laugh. At least 75% of you posts have a sabremetric stat in it. I guess I just laugh because there's such a difference in anything you see with the mainstream media ( newspapers and TV) and what you see online from young baseball fans.

Tell me something don't most guys with high BA and high OPS usually also have high line drive rates and high BABIP ? And if most do wouldn't they all be due for a regression at some point ? It's as if you rely on these things as some sort of crystal ball.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
You're a good knowledgeable poster but sometimes I just laugh. At least 75% of you posts have a sabremetric stat in it. I guess I just laugh because there's such a difference in anything you see with the mainstream media ( newspapers and TV) and what you see online from young baseball fans.

Him and southsideirish (when he was here) have eerily similar posting styles. Big saber fans (or as some posters like to call em in the past.. saber-dorks. :P)

Edited by J.Reedfan8

I've said it before. What about Brian Bannister? Royals have a lot of pitching in the minors. They might ship him to us for very little in return. Maybe even for one minor leaguer and a lot of money. Could Coop work his magic? He's had some decent starts in his otherwise lousy big league career so far.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
What about Brett Myers? He's been throwing very well lately but he shouldn't command an exorbinant price tag.

Geez.. I mention him once early in this thread (before his good game vs the Cubs tonight) now I got you and fathom (in another thread) backing me up with it?! Give credit where credit is due people. :D In all seriousness, I think he would be a fantastic pickup for a contending team as a 4 or 5 in the rotation. (especially one in the NL) Astros brass however are now saying they don't want to trade him. Google why (I already gave part of why earlier here) and you might shake your head as much as I did. There is a reason why that organization is freaking terrible.

A #5 if Hudson can't get it going or Freddy runs out of gas? Probably a post-deadline waiver option...and cheap. He's a free agent at the end of the year.

from mlb.com -

MILWAUKEE -- Brewers right-hander Dave Bush entered the week with 13 quality starts, just as many as Texas' Cliff Lee, considered the best available pitcher on the summer trade market before he was dealt from Seattle to Texas.

Bush had one more quality start than Dan Haren, who has already been traded, and Ted Lilly, who is a staple of rumors. And like Lee and Lilly, Bush is a free agent at the end of the season.

Yet Bush, 30, is generating almost no trade buzz.

"I get a kick out of teams talking about all of these other pitchers, and [bush] has more quality starts than all of them," general manager Doug Melvin said. "He's pitched as well or better than some of these names I hear on the trade front.

QUOTE (logic101 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)
A #5 if Hudson can't get it going or Freddy runs out of gas? Probably a post-deadline waiver option...and cheap. He's a free agent at the end of the year.

from mlb.com -

MILWAUKEE -- Brewers right-hander Dave Bush entered the week with 13 quality starts, just as many as Texas' Cliff Lee, considered the best available pitcher on the summer trade market before he was dealt from Seattle to Texas.

Bush had one more quality start than Dan Haren, who has already been traded, and Ted Lilly, who is a staple of rumors. And like Lee and Lilly, Bush is a free agent at the end of the season.

Yet Bush, 30, is generating almost no trade buzz.

"I get a kick out of teams talking about all of these other pitchers, and [bush] has more quality starts than all of them," general manager Doug Melvin said. "He's pitched as well or better than some of these names I hear on the trade front.

So first we had Dipotity or whatever his name is pimping Joe Saunders because of his win total in 2008-2009. Now we've got Melvin using quality starts to somehow put Dave f***ing Bush in the same class as Cliff Lee (who missed the first month of the season) and Dan Haren? What does it really require to be a GM these days? f***ing morons. Maybe I should appreciate KW more.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 02:19 AM)
So first we had Dipotity or whatever his name is pimping Joe Saunders because of his win total in 2008-2009. Now we've got Melvin using quality starts to somehow put Dave f***ing Bush in the same class as Cliff Lee (who missed the first month of the season) and Dan Haren? What does it really require to be a GM these days? f***ing morons. Maybe I should appreciate KW more.

Neither of them are "morons", they are simply selling their guys. Do you really expect a "Volvo - boxy, but good" type campaign from GM's about their players and deals? You guys take these statements way too literally, and too far. Of course he doesn't think that Bush = Lee.

With Tor. asking for Joba Chamberlain from the yanks and Casey Kelly from Boston for two months of Scott Downs [and soundly rejected], http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/aski...cott-downs.html

what would the Yanks say to Bobby Jenks for Joba? The Yanks don't have a reliable set up man to get the game to Mariano and may think Jenks could be a key addition. Joba's 5.95 ERA is ugly, and the Yanks don't take kindly to failure. Jenks in set up would be an upgrade for them, and would be worth more than Downs as he's under team control in 2011. It would take salary off the sox hands as well.

Trading Jenks for Joba would favor the Yanks the rest of this year. Yet it would probably be a wash for the Sox in 2010, with Putz and Thornton picking up the closer spot and be a big pick up in 2011 and beyond.

Even if it's not to the Yanks for Joba, trading bobby now would be a great way to get out from his contract because they likely won't be able to move him in the off season. Teams need bullpen help now and there aren't many options for closing/ set up.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
With Tor. asking for Joba Chamberlain from the yanks and Casey Kelly from Boston for two months of Scott Downs [and soundly rejected], http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/aski...cott-downs.html

what would the Yanks say to Bobby Jenks for Joba? The Yanks don't have a reliable set up man to get the game to Mariano and may think Jenks could be a key addition. Joba's 5.95 ERA is ugly, and the Yanks don't take kindly to failure. Jenks in set up would be an upgrade for them, and would be worth more than Downs as he's under team control in 2011. It would take salary off the sox hands as well.

Trading Jenks for Joba would favor the Yanks the rest of this year. Yet it would probably be a wash for the Sox in 2010, with Putz and Thornton picking up the closer spot and be a big pick up in 2011 and beyond.

Even if it's not to the Yanks for Joba, trading bobby now would be a great way to get out from his contract because they likely won't be able to move him in the off season. Teams need bullpen help now and there aren't many options for closing/ set up.

Jenks does not have a contract for next year. There is no obligation to him if the Sox do not want him. Joba is Linebrink right now no need for two of them.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)

Tell me something don't most guys with high BA and high OPS usually also have high line drive rates and high BABIP ? And if most do wouldn't they all be due for a regression at some point ? It's as if you rely on these things as some sort of crystal ball.

It's Jim Edmonds, he's not really what a lot of people consider a good hitter anymore.

And no. There is a difference between good and unsustainable. Alex Rios is hitting really well this year, but his BABIP is only 10 points higher than his batting average. Albert Pujols only hits around 16-17% line drives.

29% is a gaudy amount of line drives and a .350 BABIP is the result. Edmonds has always hit a good amount of line drives (usually around 20%), but when that rate is almost at 30%, there's no way he's going to keep that up.

Detroit's had two guys this year that I have been watching closely - Austin Jackson and Brennan Boesch. I've been saying that Jackson's going to slump for a while now, he's no longer hitting .380 like he was early in the year, but he's now hitting .315. There's going to be another slump coming sometime soon for him, he has a .430 BABIP and a 28% line drive rate. Nobody with a good 600 PAs has ever had a BABIP above .390. And that 28% line drive rate won't hold.

As for Boesch, the regression is in full swing. At the ASB, he was hitting near .340 with a .390 BABIP. He is now down to .305 and a .339 BABIP. Boesch's track record in the minors along with that unsustainable BABIP (especially since his batted ball rates looked extremely normal) made me feel that his hot hitting wasn't going to last all that long.

Of course, Jackson's the much more toolsy player in comparison to Boesch, so that may be why Jackson is still floating while Boesch is sinking. Either way, those are two little anecdotes about unsustainable BABIP and line drive rates.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)

Toronto's crazy. That's pretty much what you can come away with in those rumors.

As for Bobby, I'm sure some teams would have interest, but we're not getting anything near Joba or Kelly back for him.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 02:19 AM)

Scott Boras compared Oliver Perez to Sandy Koufax. It's called trying to lure stupid people in.

I would love to get Joba for Bobby...or just Joba in general somehow.

Getting him out of NYC would do wonders for him I think. Get Coop to do his "fix 'em" and with a little luck you'd have a pretty dominant closer in a few years.

But this season:

Putz

Thornton

Chamberlain

Santos

Threets

Linebrink

Pena

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
This hasn't been talked about yet. With the emergence of Santos and the fact that Putz and Thorton are pitching well. What about a Jenks for David Ortiz? The redsox are looking for relif and ortiz is a great clutch left handed power bat.

Why would the Red Sox trade Ortiz in the first place?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
This hasn't been talked about yet. With the emergence of Santos and the fact that Putz and Thorton are pitching well. What about a Jenks for David Ortiz? The redsox are looking for relif and ortiz is a great clutch left handed power bat.

Welcome to the board!

Have to say though, I'm confused by the idea. I think Boston still sees themselves in the race.