White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
This trade suggests two things:

(1) The Sox weren't nearly as high on Hudson as they'd led us to believe (or believe that his mechanics make him injury-prone).

(2) Kenny subscribes to the school of thought that making a deal at the deadline (even if it doesn't really help the team much) has a positive psychological impact on the team. (I imagine that the Griffey trade of two years ago would fall into this category as well.)

3) We have more money to play around with this year and next than previously thought

4) KW is planning on trading someone completely unexpected to create salary space (Danks/Floyd/Buehrle)

5) Our chances to win the next two seasons are better with Jackson

6) Cooper likes Jackson more than Hudson

7) There is some concern about Peavy coming back 100% in 2011 and being ready from April 1st

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
@TBrownYahoo - Source: White Sox hope to acquire Dunn without trading Jackson, but Nats desire Jackson.

If this happens, Kw should be given a crown for being the king gm. If we get Jackson and Dunn for prospects (I don't care how many or who. Although I really want to hold onto Viciedo.) Other GMs will be in a uproar.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Because Jackson's not going anywhere. Flipping him really makes no sense on many levels.

Sure it makes sense.

The Sox can get mediocre SP - cheaper than Jackson cost - to spot start in the 5th spot and deal Jackson for a hitter.

They'll have a logjam in 2011 if Jackson stays (and Freddy stays).

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
@TBrownYahoo - Source: White Sox hope to acquire Dunn without trading Jackson, but Nats desire Jackson.

Well that would imply a Viciedo + Santos and/or prospect(s). I just don't see how the Nationals would trade us Dunn without getting Viciedo or Hudson as the centerpiece.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
If this happens, Kw should be given a crown for being the king gm. If we get Jackson and Dunn for prospects (I don't care how many or who. Although I really want to hold onto Viciedo.) Other GMs will be in a uproar.

I have to disagree. If this trade isn't essential in getting Dunn, then it was awful. I'm really not that sure how much better Jackson is than Hudson now, let alone over the next 6 very cheap years.

The fact that we didn't seek to get Laroche in the deal makes it clear to me Kenny intends to get a bat in the end game. I'd honestly be happier keeping Jackson (who put up a 3.62 ERA for the Tigers in 219 innings last year) and doing something else to pick up Scott or Berkman.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
I have to disagree. If this trade isn't essential in getting Dunn, then it was awful. I'm really not that sure how much better Jackson is than Hudson now, let alone over the next 6 very cheap years.

If we keep Jackson and get Dunn, we have a World Series built team. Overpay, probably, but it's hard to define anything like that as awful.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
The fact that we didn't seek to get Laroche in the deal makes it clear to me Kenny intends to get a bat in the end game. I'd honestly be happier keeping Jackson (who put up a 3.62 ERA for the Tigers in 219 innings last year) and doing something else to pick up Scott or Berkman.

i think that's a very good point, if KW was done he would have asked for Laroche, who likely wouldn't have come very expensive

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm hearing that the deal is Hudson/Holmberg for Jackson ...where are these other names coming from?!?! I'm so confused ..someone PLEASE fill me in!!!

There is a lot of rumor noise out there that the Sox are still after a bat to upgrade at DH (or other positions potentially), and that one possible way to do that is to trade Jackson to the Nationals for Dunn in some deal.

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm hearing that the deal is Hudson/Holmberg for Jackson ...where are these other names coming from?!?! I'm so confused ..someone PLEASE fill me in!!!

As of right now there is no other names. Hudson and Holmberg were traded for Edwin Jackson.

That is all for now.

Rest is speculation.