White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Mark Kotsay will NOT be DFA'd. He won't.

Unfortunately, it looks like you are correct.

In the insane world that is white sox baseball, only we would keep around an old, slow, weak hitting 1B, even if we get someone who does everything he does but better.

Its just so stupid to keep Kotsay around if we get one of Berkman or Dunn.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
A friend of mine on Facebook who used to work for ESPN seems pretty confident that deal is in place for Jackson + prospects for Dunn, and we are just waiting on Nats to sign off on it.

Is a deal really "in place" if the Nats haven't agreed to it?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
Could Dunn and the Sox be working on an extension before the trade is finalized?

We have about $75 million locked up in salary next year. I heavily doubt it.

FWIW, From ESPN chat:

Comment From Woj]

I sometimes don't understand Kenny Williams- Why did he have to give up 2 good prospects and take on $10.5 million in future money. Houston gave $11 million and the prospects in return were nothing special. Why didn't the Sox get money in the deal?

Jason A. Churchill -- MLB Draft Blog/Rumor Central: Hudson is not a future No. 1 or anything and Holmberg, the second arm going to Arizona, is widely considered a No. 3 or 4 starter at best. So they didn't exactly send elite talent to the D-backs in return for Jackson.

Plus, the idea may be to flip Jackson to Washington for Dunn, which cancels out most if not all of the future money. But even Philly is taking on some salary, they didn't get Oswalt for FREE.

Jason A. Churchill -- MLB Draft Blog/Rumor Central: Law on Hudson: No. 4 starter in the NL.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Unfortunately, it looks like you are correct.

In the insane world that is white sox baseball, only we would keep around an old, slow, weak hitting 1B, even if we get someone who does everything he does but better.

Its just so stupid to keep Kotsay around if we get one of Berkman or Dunn.

Obviously Kotsay and Dunn would platoon.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
I don't care if he is a scum. I cheer these guys on to play baseball. I'm not married to him, nor do I know anyone that is.

Obviously I would prefer he not beat her, but my primary concern is to get to the postseason.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
Sorry, I really care less about Myers as long as he helps us win games.

You guys are welcome to feel that way, but I find that a little sad. I don't need angels, but I refuse to root for the success of complete scumbags like that. I just can't do it.

AJ is an "asshole" in the sense that he is annoying, plays a little dirty, etc. I can handle that no problem. But that's a long way from beating up your wife in public.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
You guys are welcome to feel that way, but I find that a little sad. I don't need angels, but I refuse to root for the success of complete scumbags like that. I just can't do it.

AJ is an "asshole" in the sense that he is annoying, plays a little dirty, etc. I can handle that no problem. But that's a long way from beating up your wife in public.

Agreed. I would rather roll the dice with Lilly who is a good club house guy and comes off the books at the end of the season.

I flipped back a couple hundred posts and I didn't see this comparison so I'm going to make it.

Trading: A young, barely to the big leagues starting pitcher who's under your control for 6+ years for an older, expensive, pitcher with a good fastball who pencils in at best at the tail end of your rotation at best and who is struggling like Hell in a weaker league, and who may well be worse than the young guy not only next season but even this season?

Sound like the Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir deal to anyone else?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
Could Dunn and the Sox be working on an extension before the trade is finalized?

Wouldn't that be something? If so, and it's not a crippling extension, KW may be crowned GM of the year...or at least the day.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)

I agree with you! They are supposed to be examples for people. IMO it's their responsibility to behave like decent people, not immoral s*** heads.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
FWIW, From ESPN chat:

Comment From Woj]

I sometimes don't understand Kenny Williams- Why did he have to give up 2 good prospects and take on $10.5 million in future money. Houston gave $11 million and the prospects in return were nothing special. Why didn't the Sox get money in the deal?

Jason A. Churchill -- MLB Draft Blog/Rumor Central: Hudson is not a future No. 1 or anything and Holmberg, the second arm going to Arizona, is widely considered a No. 3 or 4 starter at best. So they didn't exactly send elite talent to the D-backs in return for Jackson.

Plus, the idea may be to flip Jackson to Washington for Dunn, which cancels out most if not all of the future money. But even Philly is taking on some salary, they didn't get Oswalt for FREE.

Jason A. Churchill -- MLB Draft Blog/Rumor Central: Law on Hudson: No. 4 starter in the NL.

Keith Law can go eat himself into obesity.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
I flipped back a couple hundred posts and I didn't see this comparison so I'm going to make it.

Trading: A young, barely to the big leagues starting pitcher who's under your control for 6+ years for an older, expensive, pitcher with a good fastball who pencils in at best at the tail end of your rotation at best and who is struggling like Hell in a weaker league, and who may well be worse than the young guy not only next season but even this season?

If memory serves me right he was viewed nationally as a higher level prospect than Hudson, and also, FWIW Jackson has a very good year in the AL under his belt only last year

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)

Zambrano was 29 at the time, Jackson is 26, and IIRC Kazmir was a much higher rated prospect (with more upside) than Hudson.

I think the Sox are intrigued by Jackson's stuff, some big league experience, while still being pretty young.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
We have about $75 million locked up in salary next year. I heavily doubt it.

Jackson is owed $8.35M next year. Dunn would probably make about $12M. Not a huge difference.