White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
Look at EJax's stats this year, and his historical second halves. Hes been pretty bad.

But..... dig a little deeper.

Historically, August is his best month....

By a longshot.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
Hopefully the Sox arent just trading on past stats, but instead on future potential.

I mean Gavin Floyd "sucked" but hes done allright.

Matt "sucked" but with a little work turned it around.

Loaiza, Contreras, etc. etc.

You can work with some one who has dominant stuff.

Each person you cite there was under team control for at least a half year longer than Jackson. Gavin Floyd is of course the ultimate example of how much it can help your roster when you develop a young pitcher.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
So what happens when the Sox cant afford to keep some combination of AJ, Paulie, Putz, Jenks, etc because they are paying a mediocre-bad starter in EJax? Then all of a sudden they have holes they cant fill, and were back to middling.

First off, I think it's difficult to speculate exactly what our payroll will be next year. We can use this year's payroll as a rough estimate, but a lot of factors could change the actual figure. If KW is trading away a cheap, controllable player in Hudson, it might be a reasonable indication that the financial situation next season may not be as bleak as some people think.

As for your comment about Jackson, why can't we just deal him in the offseason if we're desperate for salary relief? There's no way that he was worth Hudson/Holmberg now but will be worth nothing once the season ends. We'll get something of value back for him.

Personally, I think this trade helps us this year (to what extent I don't know), but I'll admit it's an extremely risky move. Giving away the cost certainty that Hudson provides could easily hurt us in the long-run and possibly as early as next season. If KW holds on to Jackson, then he better go ahead a get a DH as well, because he'd be betting a playoff run this season.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
Also

Buster_ESPN Heard this: The Steinbrenners have given pre-approval to the acquisition of a large salary such as Lance Berkman or Adam Dunn. #trades

What?! the Yankees are willing to take on more salary?! oh wait...no s***.

Jackson's fastball has more life and movement than Hudson. Hudson's pitches have seemed flat and float.

/shrugs

Ive always loved Jackson's stuff. Never been a fan of Hudson. This trade is basically a perfect storm of player I was meh on being traded for a player I always loved.

My guess is that Coop/KW see the same thing as me and feel Jackson can be a damn fine pitcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Serious question...what does Jackson throw that is more dominant than Hudson? Hudson was touching 94-95 in his starts, Jackson goes 96-97 right?

Fastball, slider, changeup for each of them? I've already seen Hudson throw a few legit "this is a very good pitch" changeups. Hudson doesn't yet have the slider, can you give other differences?

I can't recall for sure, but isn't Jackson's fastball pretty straight as well?

Hudson had some very good movement on his fastball, which made 93 plenty fast.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
Hopefully the Sox arent just trading on past stats, but instead on future potential.

I mean Gavin Floyd "sucked" but hes done allright.

Matt "sucked" but with a little work turned it around.

Loaiza, Contreras, etc. etc.

You can work with some one who has dominant stuff.

Difference though is that we didnt trade a young, cheap, talented pitcher for those guys. We also werent taking on $8.5 million which really adds to that risk.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
But..... dig a little deeper.

Historically, August is his best month....

By a longshot.

And if you look a little deeper than that...that is produced by him having good Augusts in 2007 and 2008. He did not repeat a good August in 2009; July was better than August for him last year. So, he's had 2 good augusts and 1 bad august.

His August numbers are just his best month because he's been flat out bad in every other month...and particularly bad in September.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Apparently the Yankees are on the verge of landing Berkman, taking out a rival in the Dunn sweepstakes.

I think I would almost prefer Berkman over Dunn. I think Berkman is the better overall hitter but his main problem has been injuries, and wouldn't cost as much in terms of prospects.

However, can't really go wrong with either because they would both provide what we desperately needed.

What does it matter what was traded for those guys?

Matt we traded Borchard, who was formerly one of the top Sox spects.

Gavin the Sox traded Garcia and a ton of fans on this very board panned it saying it was a horrific deal. I think there were a handful of us (yes I still remember) who kept pointing out that a player named Roy Halladay had a similar track record as Floyd and that people should be patient.

I think the Sox are better with Jackson than with Hudson.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
I think I would almost prefer Berkman over Dunn. I think Berkman is the better overall hitter but his main problem has been injuries, and wouldn't cost as much in terms of prospects.

However, can't really go wrong with either because they would both provide what we desperately needed.

I too wanted Berkman over Dunn.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Apparently the Yankees are on the verge of landing Berkman, taking out a rival in the Dunn sweepstakes.

So the Yankees lineup would look something like Jeter/Swisher/Teixeira/ARod/Cano/Berkman/Posada/Granderson/Gardner. Yikes

The only thing I'll miss about Hudson is his low salary. His control has been awful because he pitches scared.....if he's scared now imagine how scared he'll be when we get into the heat of a September pennant race. For christ's sake, he was scared of the freaking Oakland A's lineup!

Considering the last time Jackson was moved was for Max Scherzer, a much more hyped prospect than Hudson has ever dreamed of being, I don't see how we can say he has no value. I don't get the impression that the league's GMs consider the guy a scrub based on the deals he's been involved in. I don't like the $8M price tag but that should give you a good idea of how the league's GMs feel about Hudson.