White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
masnBen

#Nationals GM Mike Rizzo said the price won't come down on Adam Dunn before the deadline. #mlb less than a minute ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Yeah, but what's the guy supposed to say?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Great. A disaster of a deadline.

it's 3pm tomorrow, and what's Rizzo suppose to say "Hey, GMs, we're cutting Dunn's price right now!"

He's probably at the stadium and getting asked by reporters, much like I expect KWs press conference to go.......

"We are thrilled to have Jackson on our team, we've had him on our radar for a long time. Nothing is done right now but I'll leave my options open until the deadline and I'm always trying to improve the team."

Edited by SoxFan562004

I think that Jackson could be exponentially better than Hudson.

There is a reason why the Sox made the deal, and its not because they are in the business of overpaying for players who arent as good.

My guess is that Coop soured on Hudson, while at the same time he likes Jackson.

Could be a case of the grass is always greener, but I just dont have a lot of faith in Hudson. He may prove me wrong, but it wouldnt surprise me if the guy never is a major league starter either.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
No one knows... but what we do know for a fact is that Hudson would do at 1/15th of the cost.

Just one small distinction here...Jackson will only be making $1.5 million here for the remainder of THIS season. I don't think it's quite fair to be counting his salary for next season just yet...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)

There is a reason why the Sox made the deal, and its not because they are in the business of overpaying for players who arent as good.

My guess is that Coop soured on Hudson, while at the same time he likes Jackson.

Could be a case of the grass is always greener, but I just dont have a lot of faith in Hudson. He may prove me wrong, but it wouldnt surprise me if the guy never is a major league starter either.

And that would just be a dumbass way of approaching things. If you want to take on Jackson as a project, you wait until the offseason, when you have time to work with him. Not in the middle of a playoff run where he offers just as many question marks as the guy you traded.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
Just one small distinction here...Jackson will only be making $1.5 million here for the remainder of THIS season. I don't think it's quite fair to be counting his salary for next season just yet...

Until we are off the hook for it, it still counts. Just like Linebrink's salary.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
And that would just be a dumbass way of approaching things. If you want to take on Jackson as a project, you wait until the offseason, when you have time to work with him. Not in the middle of a playoff run where he offers just as many question marks as the guy you traded.

unless you obtained him with the chance he could get moved in a Dunn trade. That way if he stays you have the project aspect of it if not you got the bat you wanted.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)

Then we've got a choice if somehow we dump Jackson's contract. Either we go and find Bartolo Colon and see if he'll sign for another $500k next offseason, or we take Jackson's $8 million and spend it on another overpaid FA pitcher somewhere.

Unless we've got a method to catch Freddy Garcia-like lightning in a bottle next year, or we're totally insane and we're going to dump Sale into the fryer immediately next year, we're going to need another starting pitcher if we somehow became the 4th team to give up on Jackson in 2 years, and we're absolutely not going to get an MLB-ready minor league arm for him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
Until we are off the hook for it, it still counts. Just like Linebrink's salary.

I hate to lump Jackson in the same category as Linebrink, but he's not that far away performance-wise.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)

You aren't paying him that now though. You're paying him roughly $1.3 million more this season than you would have paid Hudson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
Ugh, hearing that Yanks won't give up any premium prospects to get Berkman really frustrates me.

And this is when the reputation of our farm system screws us.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Somebody needs to pull up some old Javy threads. I can't believe people are supporting this abomination of a trade.

I think there are some similarites to Daniel Cabrera here too. All stuff, little control and people will be screaming upside till he's out of baseball.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
Ugh, hearing that Yanks won't give up any premium prospects to get Berkman really frustrates me.

The only problem is that I have a feeling Berkman would have rejected a trade to us, especially if it were between us and the Yankees.

But then again, I have a feeling KW never was planning on going after Berkman anyway.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)

The bottom line is Jackson is a lot better than Hudson for this year's pennant race. The guy was an ALL STAR a year ago. In our Division.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
You aren't paying him that now though. You're paying him roughly $1.3 million more this season than you would have paid Hudson.

Balta pretty much summed it up.

Even if you do trade him, then you still need to sign a 5th starter.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
What's going on with the KW press conference? Anyone listening?

Only thing B&B said was KW said something to the effect that he doesn't have to win every trade just get a guy who fits into what he is trying to do or something like that