White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
Problem is Jackson's not a clear upgrade. If it was Oswalt, then I'd agree with you.

Honestly, I think Oswalt is overrated and over the hill.

I prefer Jackson over Oswalt.

In fact: Oswalt

I'm THRILLED the Sox got Jackson, he's been one of my favorite MLB pitchers since his days with Tampa. :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
Problem is Jackson's not a clear upgrade. If it was Oswalt, then I'd agree with you.

I'm THRILLED the Sox got Jackson, he's been one of my favorite MLB pitchers since his days with Tampa. :)

Jackson is a nice pitcher to have with Cooper, but cmon, Hudson for him?

Now, if we flip EJax for a bat who is our pitcher? Im thinking were stuck with EJax, and we may see a minor move but our biggest trade chip was just sold for an overpriced 4/5 starter.

I really think Hudson couldve been better than EJax this year, not to mention the money differential. This is what Im talking about being a smart spender. Atleast get cash back in the deal, it was lopsided enough.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)

Congrats, you might be the first person to prefer Jackson and/or Hudson over the best pitcher in the NL from the last decade.

And if KW stayed with Hudson all the way through August and September and he fell apart and the White Sox were knocked out of the playoffs...quite a few would be second-guessing KW.

I'll say this much, if the White Sox believed that Hudson was even close to as good as Brandon McCarthy in late 2005, they never would have made this trade, because the budget concerns just got more pronounced for 2011.

That or the insurance policy on Peavy is already paying for this year (despite the rumors) and there's a tremendous amount of uncertainty from the medical staff and doctors about Jake's ultimate fitness for next season.

What in the world has Dan Hudson done to garner this much love? 1 good start this year..a few decent starts when it did not matter last year? Edwin Jackson won in Tampa and Detroit, has a plus fastball and is only 26. I think we need to give Kenny the benefit of the doubt, he seems to do a pretty good job of trading our overrated players for plus players.

Its funny, the only 2 prospect names I ever see mentioned are Richard and Gio. What about the other mass of names that have been declared the next big thing, only to be traded to someone else and disappear forever?

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Bowden reported that Dunn is close to being a member of the Sox

@JimBowdenXMFOX-

"deal not done...but all indications are that Adam Dunn is heading to the southside of Chicago....waiting on the Nationals now to close it"

"approval delay in Washington's onion layered process but looks like Dunner is heading to a pennant race"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
Hudson has control issues, and has never pitched in a pennant race.

Jackson's best career year was the in AL Central, and he knows most of the teams and personnel already.

The only White Sox starters (prospects) to amount to anything recently have been Richard and Gio Gonzalez, and that's going back 10 years.

Proven veteran >>> Rookie pitcher in the heat of his first pennant race

Finally, if Cooper didn't think he could work more with Jackson than Hudson, he undoubtedly would have told KW to forget it.

Jackson has had control issues for years and still hasnt figured them out.

Why do people assume that if a guy knows most of the teams and personnel that makes him a better pitcher? Does it over occur to you that the hitters know him too??

That may be true but its not what he eventually becomes, its what you could get for him now as a commodity.

Proven veteran who is average at best and extremely well paid.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
Who do the Nats have in terms of starting pitching we could take on? Anyway we could keep both Jackson and Dunn, because we still obviously need a starter.

Nobody good.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
@JimBowdenXMFOX-

"deal not done...but all indications are that Adam Dunn is heading to the southside of Chicago....waiting on the Nationals now to close it"

"approval delay in Washington's onion layered process but looks like Dunner is heading to a pennant race"

I don't like Jim Bowden (guy's an idiot), but I hope he's right.

And I also hope KW has a pitcher to get.