White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could turn out to be totally wrong - I hope I am - but I think Edwin Jackson is going to get hammered at The Cell, and that Hudson is a better pitcher right now than he is (not to mention cheaper). So, if this is it - no bat acquired, just Jackson - color me very disappointed.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
No way! No one on SoxTalk overrates our prospects. Hudson was going to easily be the next big thing, obviously.

But yes, I DO think we overpaid, but not the blasphemous amount most here do.

Christ, he doesn't have to be the next big thing. Just a mid 4 ERA/FIP starter that will make a total of $1.5M over the next 3 years combined, there's incredible value in that.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Is that you Jerry?

Are you physically paying $8 million dollars?

It's funny. But true. We couldn't bring Thome back for peanuts or spend a measly 5 million or whatever it was the Rangers got Vlad for but we can spend 8 million on Javy Vazquez the sequel.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
Let's bring up another name.

Daniel Cortes, or we can add Tyler Lumsden in for good measure.

I remember when he was supposed to be around a Top 45-55 prospect in all of MILB. Hudson never came close to that level with most talent evaluators, let's be honest.

I think because he was our lone bright spot among the upper tier starters, he became annointed as the payroll savior for 2011, but if he came up with that class in the late 90's (Jon Garland, Kip Wells, Ginter, Fogg, Barcelo, Buehrle, Rauch, Danny Wright, Jason Stumm) he would be the equivalent of Kevin Beirne or Aaron Myette.

KW knows what he's doing in terms of pitching talent USUALLY.

He's had his misses with the likes of Felix Diaz and Jon Adkins, but those were not made in the heat of a pennant race to compete, they were prospect returns on Lofton and Durham (thinking there would be no more draft picks coming back).

Jury's still out on Cortes, he's in AA for the Mariners and throwing 100+ MPH. Plus, he's the same age as Hudson.

Someone explain to me how the Angels got Haren, who is just astronomically better than EJax, for the deal that they did while we got Jackson for our package. I know the Angels gave up more, but not really that much more and they got a muuuuuuuch better pitcher.

We flat out overpaid. Will Hudson pan out? Who knows, but his value was higher than that.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Is that you Jerry?

Are you physically paying $8 million dollars?

Baseball may not have a salary cap but teams still work with budgets, having a $54M starting rotation means we'll have to sacrifice in other areas. If we had an unlimited budget I doubt we'd have arguably the worst regular in baseball as our DH right now.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
lol, you do realize that adding that 8 million dollars does limit this teams flexibility to make other moves?

Just like we couldn't add Peavy and Rios last season because of "payroll flexibility."

LOL, tell me another funny one......

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
Just like we couldn't add Peavy and Rios last season because of "payroll flexibility."

My god, we had plenty of money to work with last season, adding Peavy and Rios is what made us not have the flexibility to add a higher priced dh.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
Baseball may not have a salary cap but teams still work with budgets, having a $54M starting rotation means we'll have to sacrifice in other areas. If we had an unlimited budget I doubt we'd have arguably the worst regular in baseball as our DH right now.

Right on. I don't see how anyone would rather have an $8M 4th starter over an $8M DH.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)

Lets see, we have a $100ish mill payroll, you devote 8% of that to a underperforming 4th starter and youre asking to be handcuffed.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
Christ, he doesn't have to be the next big thing. Just a mid 4 ERA/FIP starter that will make a total of $1.5M over the next 3 years combined, there's incredible value in that.

Yeah....the more I let it sit and stew, the more that I'm kinda puzzled by the trade afterall....salary reasons alone, this makes very little sense for a glorified 4th/5th starter. And lets be honest, thats all Jackson is, at best.

In 2011, we'd have:

Peavy $16m

Buehrle $14m

Floyd $5m

Danks ~$5m

Jackson $8.5m

Thats...well thats pretty f***ing stupid to wrap that much up in a back of the rotation guy.

So I guess yeah, we do need to hope we're flipping Jackson for a bat, and can still find a serviceable 5th starter....