White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:02 AM)
Exactly. But looking ahead to 2011, wow. Peavy (hopefully healthy), Danks, Floyd, Jackson, Buehrle with Hudson/Sale waiting in the wings. Me likes.

If it goes down like that one of those starters not named Danks/Hudson/Sale are getting traded before the 2011 season. Peavy/Buehrle/Danks/Floyd/Jackson is overkill for a starting rotation, especially considering Hudson/Sale could contribute for far less.

Edited by pktmotion

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:59 AM)
Jackson-for-Hudson seems like a lateral move to me. I don't see the point, especially with Hudson being a lot cheaper for the next few years.

Lateral move? Jackson has a ton of MLB experience and had good success in the AL.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:03 AM)
No necessarily this deal, but everything I read from you makes it seems like Morel should be completely untouchable which is odd because he isn't a cant miss prospect.

If you really are reading everything I post, then you would see I put Morel and Hudson on the same level of "keep them if you can". Obviously since Hudson is the one everyone covets, then the next best thing would be to protect Morel if you can.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)
Exactly. But looking ahead to 2011, wow. Peavy (hopefully healthy), Danks, Floyd, Jackson, Buehrle with Hudson/Sale waiting in the wings. Me likes.

Jackson replacing Buehrle after 2011 also makes sense in the long-run. Especially with Danks (apparently) wanting to test the FA market when he's eligible.

This makes the sox severely worse going forward. A trade like this would be a large knock against kenny williams and the upper brass. Trading hudson for a one and a third years for a terrible pitcher? I doubt he ever lives up to the hype he has always had surrounding him. Jackson would just about have to put up cy young winning numbers while we have him retained to even be remotely worth hudson. Reason being? If jackson pitched that well... he is booking with no hesitation. The flip side is he pitches mediocre to bad. If that were to be the case, which is highly likely based on his past, it was no contest, clearly a foolish one sided trade.

Say hudson is just a four or five for the next 6 seasons. There is much value in cheap, dirt cheap, back of the rotation type starters. I can't see hudson being worse than a five era type guy, someone who just gives you a chance to win, on a decent basis. All that hudson has to do is be tiniest bit better, and he is already at jackson's level, far from hard for him to attain, from what i have seen, though there is much more room for improvement. That right there, is what makes hudson so valuable to a team like the white sox with so much invested in the rotation as is. Let's say garcia. We have been highly fortunate to have a fifth starter doing what he has done for us, which i have more than seen taken for granted this season. Swinging doors at the back of the rotation generally means a nightmare, the more tightly wound the rotation is, the better chance of success.

This would arguably be the worst trade kenny williams has ever made, if it were to happen. I call baloney.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Lateral move? Jackson has a ton of MLB experience and had good success in the AL.

Huh? Outside of last season, Jackson has been incredibly mediocre in both the AL and NL.

I see little evidence that Jackson would pitch better than Hudson this year. Maybe Coop would be able to help him in the long-run, but I wouldn't count on him to suddenly morph back into 2009 form this season.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:04 AM)
Except you have to pay Jackson 8.35 million.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:04 AM)
That's a $54M+ rotation.

Expensive indeed. But if there's no offensive upgrades to be made, I don't mind a pitching upgrade. Especially with Freddy probably all but gone after this year and Buehrle off the books after next year.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:10 AM)
This makes the sox severely worse going forward. A trade like this would be a large knock against kenny williams and the upper brass. Trading hudson for a one and a third years for a terrible pitcher? I doubt he ever lives up to the hype he has always had surrounding him. Jackson would just about have to put up cy young winning numbers while we have him retained to even be remotely worth hudson. Reason being? If jackson pitched that well... he is booking with no hesitation. The flip side is he pitches mediocre to bad. If that were to be the case, which is highly likely based on his past, it was no contest, clearly a foolish one sided trade.

Say hudson is just a four or five for the next 6 seasons. There is much value in cheap, dirt cheap, back of the rotation type starters. I can't see hudson being worse than a five era type guy, someone who just gives you a chance to win, on a decent basis. Let's say garcia. We have been highly fortunate to have a fifth starter doing what he has done for us, which i have more than seen taken for granted this season. Swinging doors at the back of the rotation generally means a nightmare, the more tightly wound the rotation is, the better chance of success.

This would arguably be the worst trade kenny williams has ever made, if it were to happen. I call baloney.

post.....more.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:07 AM)
If you really are reading everything I post, then you would see I put Morel and Hudson on the same level of "keep them if you can". Obviously since Hudson is the one everyone covets, then the next best thing would be to protect Morel if you can.

I don't even consider Morel our 3rd best prospect (maybe not even top 5 though I'm different when I count high upside guys like Mitchell, Thompson, etc.. even injured and I didn't even mention Sale) in our entire weak system. He isn't the "next best thing." Solid prospect, but not a blue chip (or even a red chip). Good news for you is I highly doubt the sox could trade a guy with a torn labrum unless said team really likes the prospect overall to off-set that injury. It's not like they could hide it/see it comming. (ala Sirodka, Garcia, etc..)

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
With Huddy being involved AZ almost had to eat salary, they did with Haren. Prob not half, although it'd be nice. Maybe 2 mil this year and next. An Laroche is included.

Aren't the D-backs in serious financial trouble? If so, they won't be eating much salary.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:13 AM)
I don't even consider Morel our 3rd best prospect (maybe not even top 5 though I'm different when I count high upside guys like Mitchell, Thompson, etc.. even injured and I didn't even mention Sale) in our entire weak system. He isn't the "next best thing." Solid prospect, but not a blue chip (or even a red chip). Good news for you is I highly doubt the sox could trade a guy with a torn labrum unless said team really likes the prospect overall to off-set that injury. It's not like they could hide it/see it comming. (ala Sirodka, Garcia, etc..)

This is what I'm trying to say Joe theres no reason for Morel to be as untouchable as you want him to be.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:13 AM)

I wouldn't consider Morel our 3rd best prospect either, but we sure as hell aren't in the market to trade Mitchell or Sale. I would put Morel as our 5th best prospect, if you really want to know.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:07 AM)

I agree, there's something about Morel that screams he can contribute on a major league level. I've had the privilege of watching him play a couple of times and it seemed like his bat always made contact with ball, he adjusts well to pitchers, and his defense is great. I don't think he'll be an All-Star, but he does have that

"i really hate using the word grindiness but I can't articulate it better" that could benefit our club.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:16 AM)
This is what I'm trying to say Joe theres no reason for Morel to be as untouchable as you want him to be.

I just don't see why not wanting to trade Morel for Jackson, and preferring NOT to trade Morel in a deal for Dunn or Berkman makes him anything close to untouchable.

Danks, Flowers, or Morel. Who of those 3 would you want to keep?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:18 AM)
I wouldn't consider Morel our 3rd best prospect either, but we sure as hell aren't in the market to trade Mitchell or Sale. I would put Morel as our 5th best prospect, if you really want to know.

At this point, I'd say:

Hudson

Viciedo

Mitchell

Sale

Flowers

Morel

Thompson

Danks

Gonzalez

Gilmore

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:20 AM)
At this point, I'd say:

Hudson

Viciedo

Mitchell

Sale

Flowers

Morel

Thompson

Danks

Gonzalez

Gilmore

Ok, so for me I would flip Morel and Flowers. Does that mean I think he is untouchable? If I apparently think Morel is untouchable, then I have no idea what that makes Viciedo.....