White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
Here is what I don't get. If this were really the case... why take the risk of swinging independent trades? Why not do a three party deal all at once?

agreed...I think it might be more likely we keep Jackson and then trade some others, like Flowers/Morel to try and get a bat.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
Here is what I don't get. If this were really the case... why take the risk of swinging independent trades? Why not do a three party deal all at once?

Because Jackson's not going anywhere. Flipping him really makes no sense on many levels.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)

Aren't "3 way trades" technically all separate independent of one another, at least officially? Sox could very know well know what they are doing.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
I would give the entire farm system for Dunn if we don't have to include Jackson. I think most would.

Speak for yourself. No way that I give up both Flowers and Viciedo for Dunn.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
Aren't "3 way trades" technically all separate independent of one another, at least officially? Sox could very know well know what they are doing.

Trades are contracts, and there are most certainly tri-party contracts. Not sure why baseball trades would be any different, but I confess I don't know for sure.

One more fact: If Jackson does pitch well for the Sox next year and they want to keep him around long term, well, don't hold your breath on that one: Jackson is represented by Scott Boras. I believe he, Jones and Viciedo are our only 3 Boras clients at this point.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)
One more fact: If Jackson does pitch well for the Sox next year and they want to keep him around long term, well, don't hold your breath on that one: Jackson is represented by Scott Boras. I believe he, Jones and Viciedo are our only 3 Boras clients at this point.

Viciedo ?

I thought he and Alexei shared an agent, can't think of his name.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
I also wouldn't give up Mitchell and Viciedo, Mitchell and Flowers or Flowers and Mitchell EITHER.

You get Dunn and keep Jackson, you have a team built for a run at the Series. As I said, I would leave out Viciedo, but I would include anyone else.

This trade suggests two things:

(1) The Sox weren't nearly as high on Hudson as they'd led us to believe (or believe that his mechanics make him injury-prone).

(2) Kenny subscribes to the school of thought that making a deal at the deadline (even if it doesn't really help the team much) has a positive psychological impact on the team. (I imagine that the Griffey trade of two years ago would fall into this category as well.)

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
This trade suggests two things:

(1) The Sox weren't nearly as high on Hudson as they'd led us to believe (or believe that his mechanics make him injury-prone).

(2) Kenny subscribes to the school of thought that making a deal at the deadline (even if it doesn't really help the team much) has a positive psychological impact on the team. (I imagine that the Griffey trade of two years ago would fall into this category as well.)

I think the trade really suggests the Sox believe Sale will be ready much sooner than most expect.