White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
I can't imagine there is any possible way that KW will trade away John Danks for cheap prospecty players during a pennant race. That'd be worse than the White Flag deal; at least then we weren't already in first place.

I didn't mean today, I meant in the offseason

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
Oh don't even get me started. If we pull off Dunn and Myers you are going to have a lot of answering to do, Russ...:)

And so will KW when he asks for a $150 mill payroll to afford a team that will compete next year, or we will be back in 2007 land.

I will put this out there though, I think we're a legit WS contender this year with Dunn and EJax. In that situation or with Myers/Dunn, next year looks bleak.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I love Gordo.

Nobody is saying you are, it's just that you cannot seem to detect sarcasm by anyone else and that you post responses as if that person was serious.

This is also KW's strength, where he goes balls out to get the team in WS contention, and I love that. Problem is, I dont see us having enough pieces for a legit starter and bat, not to mention the holes it leaves next season.

That is why I have been advocating for the better farm system, so he couldve gone out and got a Haren and a bat (Dunn, Berkman, Laroche). Given the prices, I think that wouldve been reasonable if we had a better system.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
there's also the very realistic situation where the White Sox make one more effort to sign Danks to an extension, it doesn't happen and they move him, in the offseason he could get a ton.... wouldn't like it, but it could happen

That is a really good point. Nothing says the pitchers we end the season with are the pitchers we begin 2011 with.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
That is a really good point. Nothing says the pitchers we end the season with are the pitchers we begin 2011 with.

Anyone of our starters could be gone in the offseason, problem is you would have to get young pitching in return to replace them because after Hudson we have nobody ready to step in and be an impact.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
Anyone of our starters could be gone in the offseason, problem is you would have to get young pitching in return to replace them because after Hudson we have nobody ready to step in and be an impact.

Sale next year? :huh

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
no, I'm smart enough to figure it out, I'm also factoring in that the trade deadline isn't here yet, so we're all speculating on what the Sox roster will look like and KW and JR are aware of what their budget is both this year and next year and they have done everything in their power to make this a team that competes every season, doesn't always work, but 2 out of the last 5 years they were in the playoffs in a division that has had other good teams and one of those years they won the WS, also, in the 6th year they are in 1st place on July 30th. It's not crazy that some of us have faith that they know what they're doing.

I have faith in them too and I hope there is some master plan. Part of the whole fun of talking about all this stuff while it is happening is to see how things develop and look back on what we all said. I believe that as it stands now a lot of people are saying that this is a bad trade but those same people also believe there has to be something more going on.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
This is also KW's strength, where he goes balls out to get the team in WS contention, and I love that. Problem is, I dont see us having enough pieces for a legit starter and bat, not to mention the holes it leaves next season.

That is why I have been advocating for the better farm system, so he couldve gone out and got a Haren and a bat (Dunn, Berkman, Laroche). Given the prices, I think that wouldve been reasonable if we had a better system.

In the other thread, Russ, name the other teams that have been as active as the White Sox have been over the past 6-7 years in getting big players that become available. This is some fantasy you seem to have that there are other teams out there constantly loaded with prospects and acquiring veteran all-stars every year simply with a wave of their magic wand.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
I have faith in them too and I hope there is some master plan. Part of the whole fun of talking about all this stuff while it is happening is to see how things develop and look back on what we all said. I believe that as it stands now a lot of people are saying that this is a bad trade but those same people also believe there has to be something more going on.

Even if there is something else going on, this is still a bad trade. Someone else would have to make a worse trade to us involving Jackson in order for this to look good.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
In the other thread, Russ, name the other teams that have been as active as the White Sox have been over the past 6-7 years in getting big players that become available. This is some fantasy you seem to have that there are other teams out there constantly loaded with prospects and acquiring veteran all-stars every year simply with a wave of their magic wand.

There are none. The White Sox have made more transactions than any other team in baseball since KW has been here.

The Jackson trade is what it is.

Hudson obviously was unable to land us a better cheaper pitcher, so the Sox got what they could.

Would I rather have Jackson for the rest of the season than Hudson?

Yes

So the trade isnt bad for the Sox no matter how you much doom and gloom people want to say.