White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:19 AM)
I just don't see why not wanting to trade Morel for Jackson, and preferring NOT to trade Morel in a deal for Dunn or Berkman makes him anything close to untouchable.

Danks, Flowers, or Morel. Who of those 3 would you want to keep?

Flowers

Jackson is one of the biggest hyped prospects of this decade. Jackson is a serviceable starter in the majors leagues. That's it. Sure, he had a damn fine season last year, he also just so happened to throw a no-hitter this season. Worse pitchers have done both, thrown better seasons, and thrown no-hitters. I see no reason to get enamored over a big name player. Edwin jackson... big name player you say? Well, Edwin jackson may very well be the biggest name (hyped and lashed out at) out there in the game who has done the least. Since the average sox fan hates javier vazquez, a damn fine pitcher, (so he got paid, thank his agent, don't blame him) i would hope that same rage is also sent jackson's way. Jackson is no where near the caliber of pitcher vazquez.

The reason i compare the them both is they are two of the biggest underachievers in the game.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:27 AM)
Ok, that's fine. I would say Morel, but that's my opinion.

It's hard with those 3 guys because they're all unique situations.

Flowers is the best catching prospect we have right now and he's the closest to major league ready. But he's struggled recently.

Morel seems like the best bet to be a good major leaguer. He's a good defensive 3b and is a line drive hitter. But he doesn't have a huge ceiling.

Danks is probably the guy you'd want to give up of the 3 (esp. with Thompson and Mitchell here too) but you want to keep him until you re-sign his brother.

I think we need to ride this rumor out before judging how good or bad it is for us. We don't know who is going there if they are at all (Hudson starts Tom.) and who knows what moves we make after this one. I for one won't judge this trade as rumored Hudson+ ? For Jackson until after 3PM on Saturday.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
I think we need to ride this rumor out before judging how good or bad it is for us. We don't know who is going there if they are at all (Hudson starts Tom.) and who knows what moves we make after this one. I for one won't judge this trade as rumored Hudson+ ? For Jackson until after 3PM on Saturday.

Then what's the point of reading trade speculation :)

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:29 AM)
Jackson is one of the biggest hyped prospects of this decade. Jackson is a serviceable starter in the majors leagues. That's it. Sure, he had a damn fine season last year, he also just so happened to throw a no-hitter this season. Worse pitchers have done both, thrown better seasons, and thrown no-hitters. I see no reason to get enamored over a big name player. Edwin jackson... big name player you say? Well, Edwin jackson may very be the biggest name (hyped and lashed out at) out there in the game who has done the least. Since the average sox fan hates javier vazquez, a damn fine pitcher, (so he got paid, thank his agent, don't blame him) i would hope that same rage is also sent jackson's way. Jackson is no where near the caliber of pitcher vazquez.

The reason i compare the them both is they are two of the biggest underachievers in the game.

I can't even offer a rebuttal to this. Let me ask you this: Because of the huge hole created by Peavy's injury, for THIS season only, would you be content with Jackson? Because that's really my lone reasoning. The prospects of Garcia (big difference with him being your number 4 instead of your number 5) and Hudson scares the s*** outta me. Because even with an extra bat, It's doubtful we can top the Twins (not to mention the fact Mark Buehrle is more of a #4 starter himself).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:43 AM)
Another aspect of acquring Jackson, he knows the AL Central well and has faced the AL East plenty. I'd be interested in seeing his era against MIN,DET,NYY,and BOS is since we play all of them a lot the next few months.

Like Kalapse said, Baseballreference is your beyond a shadow of a doubt best baseball friend. Just go there. Whatever you want to know you can find it there.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:47 AM)
Like Kalapse said, Baseballreference is your beyond a shadow of a doubt best baseball friend. Just go there. Whatever you want to know you can find it there.

ERA over 7 against MIN. Over 5 against KC. 2.56 vs CLE. 3.42 vs Detroit.

5.70 vs BOS and 4.83 vs NYY

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:46 AM)
Lol I was more or less saying even with this move I don't think KW would be done. And based on the follow-up move, then I'd be able to judge the trade better.

Ahhhhhh - understand now :)

nice nick name btw

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:47 AM)

I know, unfortunitly I'm pretty lazy. I do apreciate posting it, although this ERAs aren't that great.

"Not only are the Sox now hot on the trail for pitcher E. Jackson, but hearing from people that it could be going down by this morning. Team not only wants to add to a rotation that has been on a roll, but it would solidify them for next season in case Peavy isn't ready. Jackson is signed through 2011 and is set to make $8.3 million and change next year."

from Cowley

The Sox haven't really missed on trading pitching so if they think Jackson is an upgrade then fine. But it's an odd move to make at the deadline because he isn't an immediate upgrade over Hudson. And if another prospect is added in then why couldn't Haren have been a possibility? Very odd.

Jackson is the type of pitcher who'd drive Ozzie crazy. All those walks, giving up big hits because he's fallen behind hitters and grooves a pitch, leading to a big inning. Sounds like Javy redux, without the nice K/ BB rate. The sox have done well because they aren't walking hitters to leadofff an inning, making the hitters work to get on, running up high pitch counts, letting the defense make the plays. Jackson is the antithesis of that.

The pattern of Jackson frustrating his teams is easily shown by the LAD, TB, Det, and now AZ looking to get rid of him. If Jackson didn't cost the sox Hudson, maybe. But not at the price of Hudson. I know huddy has hit a rough spot. But he's shown in the minors the ability to not kill himself with walks and get hitters out. And make adjustments. I wouldn't even say trust Jackson to be an upgrade over Hudson for the rest of this year.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:18 AM)
Jackson has a 5+ ERA in NL this year. Last year, he was pretty good for the Tigers, but why would we expect a sudden turnaround this season in a pennent race?

Maybe they see a flaw they think is an easy fix. His final 2 AL years weren't bad for a 4th starter. I wouldn't be doing a jig if they made this trade, but if Jackson cut his walk rate down, he'd probably be a star, of course you can say that about a lot of guys who will probably never cut their walk rate down.

Also if they made the trade you will know what they really think about Hudson. They are still going to need a bat. This hot streak has been nice, but realistically they are going to go through some tough streaks again, and will need another run producer.

Peavy going down was a huge blow. He was starting to dominate. They could have focused on a huge bat and really would have been sitting pretty.

It is ironic that walks are what is giving people doubts about Hudson, and walks are something Jackson has trouble with as well. Maybe they will Thornton him.

Edited by Dick Allen

I would hope that if Hudson is involved in the trade that the Sox are going to land LaRoche as well. Either that or the Sox are not very high on Hudson...or KW is going to make a bad move.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:27 AM)
Stop over-valuing Hudson. In any other organization, he's an average pitching prospect. Jackson helps them win now and that is the goal. I see more Brendon McCarthy in Hudson then I see John Danks.

I agree to a certain point, IMO I don't think it is overvaluing Hudson as much as it is we got drunk off the Kenny juice once again. Every year at the deadline we sox fans get attached to a young pitcher; Mccarthy, Ely, Poreda, and Clayton. Huddy may be a great pitcher mybe KW finally missed one and will lose this trade.

Most likely not though, Hudson will probably vanish inti obscurity like mist sox top can't miss pitching prospects. We do a great job up talking prospects to get them to respect them more nationally.