The Wave Sucks

bigruss

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
Whenever everyone else stands up and you just sit there, people stare at you.

Or it blocks your vision when there is a big play coming up (in this case it was Putz getting hit hard).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
Whenever everyone else stands up and you just sit there, people stare at you.

The wave is like someone farting real loud at a funeral....outta place. Crowd noise and participation should be triggered by events on the field. But,can't fight city hall. Anti-wave movement should make a statement by standing until wave gets to them and then sit down.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
Or it blocks your vision when there is a big play coming up (in this case it was Putz getting hit hard).

Yeah but what are you going to do? Be the one "get off my lawn" guy in the section and get into an argument with everyone? It's not worth it with a bunch of drunk fans surrounding you.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
The wave is like someone farting real loud at a funeral....outta place. Crowd noise and participation should be triggered by events on the field. But,can't fight city hall. Anti-wave movement should make a statement by standing until wave gets to them and then sit down.

You might want to tell the scoreboard operator to get rid of the "Make Some Noise" meter that's used in the oddest scenarios.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
Yeah but what are you going to do? Be the one "get off my lawn" guy in the section and get into an argument with everyone? It's not worth it with a bunch of drunk fans surrounding you.

Not saying that I will yell at people, jsut like I wont yell at people for getting up during a pitch and blocking my vision when they couldve waited the 3 minutes when the inning is over to go get another round of nachos.

The Wave is just stupid in general, disruptive during important parts of the game, and should only really be fun for fans who are either under 8 yrs old, or the team is getting blown out by 10 runs. Otherwise, youre there to watch baseball.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
Not saying that I will yell at people, jsut like I wont yell at people for getting up during a pitch and blocking my vision when they couldve waited the 3 minutes when the inning is over to go get another round of nachos.

The Wave is just stupid in general, disruptive during important parts of the game, and should only really be fun for fans who are either under 8 yrs old, or the team is getting blown out by 10 runs. Otherwise, youre there to watch baseball.

Completely agree with everything you've stated.

Lighten-up all you wave haters. It is entirely possible to watch every single pitch and participate in a wave as it rolls by and to glance up at the waves progress. It doesnt make you any less of a fan to have a wave done at your ballpark or God forbid to raise your hands and yell a little as it goes by. Jeez Louise.

Not everyone who goes to a game has the radio on headphones and keeps score with the pitchcount noted. At least wavers are in their seats and yelling. THere are plenty of worse things to do at a Sox game (ahem, and bathrooms) than do the wave.

Believe me, the players dont care about the wave at all it doesnt faze them please dont think for a minute Putz was bothered by it.

QUOTE (champs2005 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
Lighten-up all you wave haters. It is entirely possible to watch every single pitch and participate in a wave as it rolls by and to glance up at the waves progress. It doesnt make you any less of a fan to have a wave done at your ballpark or God forbid to raise your hands and yell a little as it goes by. Jeez Louise.

Not everyone who goes to a game has the radio on headphones and keeps score with the pitchcount noted. At least wavers are in their seats and yelling. THere are plenty of worse things to do at a Sox game (ahem, and bathrooms) than do the wave.

Believe me, the players dont care about the wave at all it doesnt faze them please dont think for a minute Putz was bothered by it.

No it makes you look like a second rate fandom that doesn't care what is happening on the field. Stop doing the wave, it's not original nor is it fun to do at a game.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
The wave does indeed suck. You know what else sucks? All the $60 "authentics" that people now have. First it was football, then hockey, now their invading baseball stadiums nationally. Disgusting. Just buy the replica for $100.

Hmmm. ?!?

What's a $60 "authentic"? Seeing that I own all authentics, they range in price from $200-$300 (for the Cooperstown ones).

How could there possibly be a $60 "authentic"?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
Hmmm. ?!?

What's a $60 "authentic"? Seeing that I own all authentics, they range in price from $200-$300 (for the Cooperstown ones).

How could there possibly be a $60 "authentic"?

Which is my point. I guess it's annoying b/c I used to manage a sports store. I own the white authentic Alexei and the black authentic Beckham, and now people at the Cell have these piece of garbage jerseys. Like I said, they claim their authentic, "I mean look, their stitched!" Catch my drift?

BTW- I'm not ragging on what people can or can't afford, but if you can pay $60 for a "sweet" jersey then what they paid for a ticket plus gas to get to the game plus parking, I'm sure they can just pay another $40 for the official replica jersey.

Which is my point. I guess it's annoying b/c I used to manage a sports store. I own the white authentic Alexei and the black authentic Beckham, and now people at the Cell have these piece of garbage jerseys. Like I said, they claim their authentic, "I mean look, their stitched!" Catch my drift?

So essentially they're fakes, being passed off as "authentics"?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
The wave just makes you feel like the people at the game aren't giving two s***s.

Seattle had just scored off J.J. Putz. What do I see? A f***ing wave. Nice to know you're interested in the game people.

I was at last night's game as well and had invited an ex-coworker who is a die hard Cubs fan. When the damn wave started she said "oh, I forgot they do that here." I was embarrassed as a Sox fan but I let it go.

Then it got worse, just as J.J. goes into the windup, the wave reaches our section in RF. The ball is hit, I believe for a double, and a run or something scored. I don't know all the details cause all the f***ing morons around me got up to do the wave and I saw nothing after Putz went into the delivery.

The wave sucks and it is clear that people were not paying attention to the game. Other than the 2005 trophy, our reputation of Sox fans being into the game is all we got going for us. Otherwise, we are edgy, blue collar, drunk, umpire/KC 1st base coach beating, wave starting, white trash fans from Bridgeport and surrounding areas.

I won't stand for it, literally or figuratively.

Wow, who really gives a s***? If the fans want to do it, let them f***ing do it. It hardly takes anything away from the game except maybe you miss a pitch.

Yeah, most of us on this board are diehard fans, but the majority of the 30,000 fans there probably are just casual fans and just going to game for some fun. I'm not going to let the f***ing wave ruin my day like it does to everyone on here it seems like.

And getting embarrassed because your buddy was at a sox game and saw the wave? Grow some nuts! You must not realize that some of the s*** that goes down at wrigley is easily some of the most vulgar and disgusting stuff you will ever see at a pro sports outing.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
I was at last night's game as well and had invited an ex-coworker who is a die hard Cubs fan. When the damn wave started she said "oh, I forgot they do that here." I was embarrassed as a Sox fan but I let it go.

Then it got worse, just as J.J. goes into the windup, the wave reaches our section in RF. The ball is hit, I believe for a double, and a run or something scored. I don't know all the details cause all the f***ing morons around me got up to do the wave and I saw nothing after Putz went into the delivery.

The wave sucks and it is clear that people were not paying attention to the game. Other than the 2005 trophy, our reputation of Sox fans being into the game is all we got going for us. Otherwise, we are edgy, blue collar, drunk, umpire/KC 1st base coach beating, wave starting, white trash fans from Bridgeport and surrounding areas.

I won't stand for it, literally or figuratively.

Agreed on many parts.

Im okay with it if the Sox are out of contention and were getting owned 10-0 or something like that, because I understand then that the fans dont have much to look forward too. But CMON! We were in a close game, Putz was struggling, and the Mariners were making a legitimate run to get the game back to even.

There were a ton of stupid comments, the guy behind me said Freddy was a joke of a pitcher, and I wanted to say "Unless you mean he riddles the opponents go at his track record this season."

Where did you sit?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Wow, who really gives a s***? If the fans want to do it, let them f***ing do it. It hardly takes anything away from the game except maybe you miss a pitch.

Yeah, most of us on this board are diehard fans, but the majority of the 30,000 fans there probably are just casual fans and just going to game for some fun. I'm not going to let the f***ing wave ruin my day like it does to everyone on here it seems like.

And getting embarrassed because your buddy was at a sox game and saw the wave? Grow some nuts! You must not realize that some of the s*** that goes down at wrigley is easily some of the most vulgar and disgusting stuff you will ever see at a pro sports outing.

If I was a Cubs fan I would be embarrassed by the manners in the bleachers.

And the wave occurred during probably the most crucial part of the game.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
No it makes you look like a second rate fandom that doesn't care what is happening on the field. Stop doing the wave, it's not original nor is it fun to do at a game.

Agree-its started by one person, who could care less about the game. And disrupts others-keep it out of our park

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)

You're taking my post a little more seriously than I did. Yes, I was momentarily embarrassed but I was not about to get into all the embarrassing elements of Wrigley/Cubdom with her. It was no big deal and I let her comment slide. However, I definitely was pissed when the people in my section all got up to wave when a crucial pitch/hit/run scored right at that moment. Missing one pitch due to the wave is usually not a big deal, but it pissed me off this time. The rest of the stuff I said is somewhat true but also tongue in cheek. There is more to being a sox fan than all the stereotypes I threw out but I really do not care for the wave or people throwing back opposing home runs at the cell. I like how knowledgeable our fan base can be about baseball. I know some drunks/fools call Ranger after the games, but the core group of fans are pretty solid baseball people and it shows when talking to fans sitting around you.

Russ, I sit in Row 3 of Section 103.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)

I agree 1000% - it is almost as annoying as the damn people who can't get to the ****ing game on time and then have to get up every ten minutes.

I wish they would do what they do in tennis - if you get up in the middle of an at bat - don't let them back in until the sides change!!!!

I swear we seem to miss many exciting plays because some dumbass who came late is tying to find his ****ing seat.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
You're taking my post a little more seriously than I did. Yes, I was momentarily embarrassed but I was not about to get into all the embarrassing elements of Wrigley/Cubdom with her. It was no big deal and I let her comment slide. However, I definitely was pissed when the people in my section all got up to wave when a crucial pitch/hit/run scored right at that moment. Missing one pitch due to the wave is usually not a big deal, but it pissed me off this time. The rest of the stuff I said is somewhat true but also tongue in cheek. There is more to being a sox fan than all the stereotypes I threw out but I really do not care for the wave or people throwing back opposing home runs at the cell. I like how knowledgeable our fan base can be about baseball. I know some drunks/fools call Ranger after the games, but the core group of fans are pretty solid baseball people and it shows when talking to fans sitting around you.

Russ, I sit in Row 3 of Section 103.

Im sorry if I came off a little harsh, I just hate it when people act like something this minor is the end of the world. Was it a dumbass time to do the wave? Yes, I noticed it when watching the game on tv. But whatever, it shouldn't have affected Putz and if it did, shame on him.

And honestly, who here can say they didn't enjoy the wave as a kid?

QUOTE (J-MAN @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
I agree 1000% - it is almost as annoying as the damn people who can't get to the ****ing game on time and then have to get up every ten minutes.

I wish they would do what they do in tennis - if you get up in the middle of an at bat - don't let them back in until the sides change!!!!

I swear we seem to miss many exciting plays because some dumbass who came late is tying to find his ****ing seat.

that and the idiot who has to stand up and dig money out of his pockets to buy a beer and then stands there waiting for the beer to come to him and put his money away. all that standing makes me miss 5 pitches!!