White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOw, for 2 reasons: 1) that would hve been a world shocker that Cowley was talking about. This also shows KW is looking for an IMPACT bat; whether it is lefty or righty.2) why in the HELL would the dodgers say no, I don't know the package of prospects but they are beyond broke and it would have been a perfect chance to get out under mannys contract. Finally, this shows we are going for it and money is not a worry.

Rosenthal on MLB network, we may see a manny deal in august. Says he will clear waivers and dodgers want to see what he has when he gets back from the DL.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
WOw, for 2 reasons: 1) that would hve been a world shocker that Cowley was talking about. This also shows KW is looking for an IMPACT bat; whether it is lefty or righty.2) why in the HELL would the dodgers say no, I don't know the package of prospects but they are beyond broke and it would have been a perfect chance to get out under mannys contract. Finally, this shows we are going for it and money is not a worry.

Rosenthal on MLB network, we may see a manny deal in august. Says he will clear waivers and dodgers want to see what he has when he gets back from the DL.

I agree... why would the Dodgers say no if all that is in the press is 100% true (financial troubles and all). They aren't over taking the Padres or Giants this year.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
wow

Ken_Rosenthal Source: #WhiteSox wanted #Dodgers to pay all but 1M of approximately 6.7M left on Manny's 2010 contract with no player coming back.

Well that would be a slap in the face to the Dodgers. It's not like they're out of the race.

wow

Ken_Rosenthal Source: #WhiteSox wanted #Dodgers to pay all but 1M of approximately 6.7M left on Manny's 2010 contract with no player coming back.

Hopefully that was their first offer, becuase then it makes sense why they declined. Damnit Sox, just pay the rest of the salary. Haha, I wonder if we could have just kept Hudson and absorbed Manny's contract. Weren't the Sox willing to sign Damon to a 6M contract?

wow

Did KW seriously think they would go for that?

Wow...I can understand why the Dodgers wouldn't just give Manny away, after having had previous disappointments with Pierre and Andruw Jones.

That would be a bit ironic if we ended up with three former Dodgers outfielders, all players they had to eat contracts on...even more amusing, since the McCourts are fighting over every last penny supposedly and the White Sox are seemingly flush with cash.

Edited by caulfield12

For real that's a joke KW the dodgers would have to be stoned to do that. However I could see that as KW selling low and if things do not progress with Dunn and Rizzo, KW calls LA at 2:58 pm and says how about we eat the salary and you guys get lesser prospects.

I for one would welcome Manny with open arms.

wow

I don't know where he is getting those $ figures...

All but $5 million of Manny's 2010 salary is deferred...

cst_sox The thought behind Manny was a DH who can be hot when he's motivated - look what he did right after he left Boston.

1 minute ago

cst_sox Could you have imagined Manny and those baggy pants on the South Side ... would have been interesting.

2 minutes ago

cst_sox Just been told that KW is still working on a bat, but scrambling right now.

3 minutes ago

cst_sox Manny deal is dead, and now you can bury it next to the Dunn deal, which was taken off life support yesterday ... mouth-to-mouth anyone?

5 minutes ago

F me. Looks like it will be nada

if Ramirez does not opt out, he receives $5M in 2010 and $15M in 3 installments of $3,333,333 each on June 30, 2011 and 2012, and $8,333,333 on June 30, 2013

I don't know what he did, must have added $3.33 million from 2011 and 2012 together? That equals $6.7 million, but doesn't take into account 2013 monies owed.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
I was talking about us coming up empty. Mike Rizzo basically f***ed this deadline over for us.

We won't know the answer to that question for a long time.

Not until at least 3 pm, probably much later into August....and, longer-term, until we see how the careers of Viciedo, Hudson and Flowers turn out.

Bringing Dunn in would practically mean the end of Konerko's White Sox future, and what would be the odds of keeping him? Then, are we really confident in getting any payoff from those draft picks before 2012 or 2013?

Is it even 100% guaranteed he's going to be a TYPE A FA?

Edited by caulfield12